Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Heading to Trinidad Monday, Should I? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/heading-to-trinidad-monday-should-i-145185/)

Jennifer Jan 22nd, 2002 04:02 PM

Heading to Trinidad Monday, Should I?

I am heading to Trinidad on Monday with my husband. He will be working most of the trip so I will have a lot of time on my hands. All I really want is a great pool to layout by and nice gym facility to work out at. We are staying at the Hilton. We are planning on going to Tobago on Friday and staying until Sunday. I had been told by someone that Trinidad is purely industrial with no resturants, bars or nightlife. Help, should I go with the husband?

mike Jan 23rd, 2002 11:14 AM

Jennifer,<BR>The pool at the Trinidad Hilton is a good one to lounge around (and in). Don't remember a gym facility, but I wasn't looking for one. There are good restaurants in Port-of-Spain, with a range of ethnicities. Be careful of the hot sauce -- it is hot.<BR>This time of year the steel bands will be practicing in their pan yards for Panarama, the major island-wide steelband competition at Queen's Park Savannah. Even if you don't like pan, you can't help but get caught up in the excitement of the music. When I was there I wandered around in the midst of the band and just felt it pound on me -- a sensation unlike any other I've had. Ask at the desk of the hotel and you'll be given directions to 4 or 5 pan yards close by.<BR>Also, the mas camps will be in full swing where the soca and calypso singers will be trying out their latest songs for the Calypso King, Calypso Queen, and Calypso Prince (young calypsonian) competition during Carnival. The cost is minimal and the music will have you on your feet and moving with the rest of the crowd. Even though you may not understand the political references in the calypsos, you'll understand the meaning of the socas. The venues are usually dark, so no one will see you if you blush. Some socas are, um, well, bawdy might be the right word. <BR>I used to travel in to work in Port-of-Spain for 1 or 2 week periods, and this time between Christmas and Carnival was always the most exciting and fun for me. Music every night, and some of the best rum drinks, and bottles of Carib, an excellent beer.<BR>Plus roti for lunch -- of course, only busupshut roti. Roti is kind of like an Indian taco, or sandwich, in a way. The 'bread' of the roti is almost like layers of phyllo wrapped around a meat and vegetable filling. The wrap is soft, with tears or rips in the layers from being stretched. This looked like torn material, or a torn shirt, or in local patois, a 'busted up shirt' which sounded like and ended up written down as busupshut.<BR>By the way, I traveled throughout P-O-S and never felt uneasy or afraid. The Trinis are the nicest, kindest, friendliest people. I envy you your trip. I miss the place.

Phil Jan 23rd, 2002 11:38 AM

Definitely go!! Don't pass up an opportunity to see the authentic Caribbean while it still exists. The tourist trade has completely changed so many of the other islands that are now totally overrun with tourists, development and westernization.

Trini girl Feb 3rd, 2002 08:29 PM

Hello,<BR>Trinidad has nightlife 365 days a year, and restaurants. Industrial we are not,but if you are loking for action we've got it .

Dudley Feb 4th, 2002 02:27 AM

If you're looking for a restaurant recommendation in Tobago, I would heartily recommend La Tartaruga. It may be hard to believe, but it is an excellent Italian restaurant just minutes from Crown Point. It's a little pricey, but the food, the atmosphere, and the owner's enthusiasm make it an experience that I look forward to with every visit to Tobago.

CC Feb 5th, 2002 01:56 PM

I love Trinidad! I used to go there for work and I always had the best time in Trinidad. It gets a bum rap because it is a "business" island, but it is so very interesting. If you are a seamstress, you will find the best and cheapest fabric stores there. I was like a kid in a candy store. I bought yards and yards of fabric. It was a wonder I could close my suitcase! The other posters have given good advice. Do not pass up the trip!!! Tobago is a dream--especially the north side near Speyside. It is the way the Caribbean used to be. If you happen to be there when there is a village festival, you will be invited into the villagers' homes for a taste of local iguana. The people could not be nicer.

Elizabeth Feb 5th, 2002 04:15 PM

I know it's too late for my opinion to help with your decision--but--I love Trinidad and Tobago, I've been twice and would love to go again. Now I am sorry I didn't plan a trip for thie pre-carnival time (like last week, or when you were going). <BR><BR> No one mentioned the Asa Wright nature sanctuary, or the Caroni swamp bird sanctuary, both wonderful places to visit on Trinidad--Caroni for part of a day, Asa Wright--you can stay there, it's up in the rainforest, you sit on the verandah of somethinglike a plantation house and watch hummingbirds, as well as taking walks.<BR><BR> POS is non-touristy and quite safe feeling. I hope you went, I hope you come write about it.

feedback Feb 21st, 2002 07:06 AM

Jennifer,<BR><BR>Tell us about your trip.