Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Heading to St John in April -- Looking for kid-friendly villa (great pool, great views)

Heading to St John in April -- Looking for kid-friendly villa (great pool, great views)

Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Let me preface this by saying we've been to St John several times, always to Caneel. We've been to lots of other islands and have rented many villas (here are some pics from St Barts last January: http://www.hooville.net/images/barts/ ). So we're not novices.

That said, in April (14-21) we're going to St John with 3 kids (5/8/10) and would like to get a villa with a great pool (love disappearing edges, nothing too small), great view, and something that is relatively new/modern/spacious. I have emailed a few of the companies I read about on this board, and have checked out some of the past messages, so yes I did a search. But hoping to find someone who has experienced a very special Villa.

One good thing is it seems Summer rates start on the day we arrive more most villas! I'd like to keep in the $3k-$5k/week range (though a bit higher is OK if it's the perfect villa!). 3 brs is preferable so we can split the kids into two rooms (2 BRs is fine if one of the BRs can sleep 3 kids comfortably). And of course larger is fine too if it's not too pricey.

Availability is a bit of a problem on a lot of the Villas I've looked at online... this is a relatively "last minute" vacation or I would have booked something long ago.

We are really looking forward to the next 4 months:

February: Jamaica (family trip)
March: Mustique
April: St John
May: St Lucia

Thanks for any and all responses!
Scott in Virginia
Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM

Get Angie and crew at VIVA to help:

www.vivacations.com

They have some great vilas that the kids will like because of the "creatures" around like iguanas, geckos, birds, etc...

Otherwise...

I'd do Westin Resort with their "kids club" etc...

Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, unfortunately there are very few Villas that fit the bill this late in the game. But I think we did find a good one, and are in the process of booking it now: Casa de Sonadores

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/casadesonadores.html
Jan 24th, 2007, 03:19 AM

I agree with Marbleheadguy about the creatures....my sons (ages 2,7 and 10 at the time)really enjoyed trying to catch geckos while we were in St John.We all enjoyed watching the Bananaquits (birds)fly up to our deck and eat sugar that we put in a bowl for them.(recommended by VIVA)

quiktix,
Enjoy the next 4 months.....I am soo jealous!

St John is one beautiful place!

Christie

Jan 24th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Do you have a desired price range? I ask because otherwise, you can't mess up in renting any of a number of gorgeous northshore villas like Rivendel (sp?) or Hakuna Matata which fit your bill. Are there any villas you're leaning towards and want feed back on?
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

christiegr:

Thanks my boys (5 & 8) will no doubt have fun chasing lizards. I remember doing that as a kid!

TuxedoCat:

For our dates (4/14-21), Hakuna and most good ones were gone. We were looking in the $3-$6k/week price range. We did find one that looks VERY nice and are in the process of booking it ($4k/week): Casa de Sonadores

http://www.destinationstjohn.com/casadesonadores.html

Jan 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Villa Sonadores is part of the Virgin Grand Estates up in the Gifft Hill area which is up the hill from the Westin. These villas have the advantage of being newer and most are well air-conditioned. IMO, it's a safe bet. The villas are all very nice, modern and have beautiful views. They are about a 20 minute drive from the northshore area and about 7-10 minute drive into Cruz Bay. What are your thoughts on location? Are you trying to stay close to Cruz Bay? Have you looked at www.carefreegetaways.com which is another locally owned and operated agency. I've heard very good things about this agency as well.
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM

That villa looks gorgeous! Enjoy!