Have you gone to a Sandals/Jamaica?

Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Have you gone to a Sandals/Jamaica?

Would love to know any info about the 7 Sandals in Jamaica :Montego Bay,Ocho Rios,Dunn's River,Negril?!?!?...Best one to go to?
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Have been to Sandals Negril past 3 years haven't been to the others but Negril is very nice - resort is great, good food and great staff. Beach is great. Negril is a very laid back 70's
kind of town.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:01 AM

For beach lovers, Negril is wonderful.

I prefer Couples over the Sandals in Jamaica by a wide margin.

Dunns River is the best Sandals in Jamaica IMO but the beach is not the best.
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Sandals resort in Ochos Rios. We had a killer ocean view and ate and drank to our hearts content. On our way to Ochos Rios, we stopped to let people off at the other Sandals, and from what I could gather, our resort was pretty cool--comparatively speaking, even though it took a couple hours to get to it (other side of the island). Montego is right near the airport, so you avoid the long drive back when it's time to leave; again two hours on a narrow winding road. If you do go to Jamaica, you'll want to bring plenty of sun screen, smaller denominations of USD (especially $1), and a prepaid phone card in case you need to call back home--we got one online at a website called speedypin.com before we left. Believe me when I tell you that Jamaica's long distance rates are flat out ridiculous. Oh, and DO NOT check your cell phone voice messages. We checked ours one time and got a sweet $10 fee for the privilege. Hope this info helps. ENJOY!
Aug 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM

We stayed at Sandals MoBay and loved it. They do a great beach party one night. The property is surrounded by flowers that give the most wonderful smell during your visit. We stayed in the almond block and had a magnificent view of the water. Coming from the cold, we were mostly in the mood for eating our meals on the terrace which overlooked the sea. Wonderful surroundings and we found this Sandals to have the most gourmet food. The beach is vast and beautiful. We enjoyed the bartenders. Always ready to make you a refreshing cocktail and always ready with a smile.

Aug 25th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Sandals Whitehouse, though an hour plus from the airport is beautiful, The beach goes on forever, there are three pools which are at different levels of activity, so you are sure to find one to your taste. Because it is so large, we did a fair amount of waking, but who cares....we weren't in a hurry, and a leisurely stroll back to our room in the Caribbean moonlight was a treat!!

We have also stayed twice in Ocho Rios...actually, the last two years since we got a deal on it...I have to say, this resort, though very nice, is in need of some updating. We stayed one year in the villas (VERY nice) and last March on the Riviera side. The beach here is very small - most of the activity took place at the Manor pool. There is a shuttle to transport you to both sides of the resort, and it runs constantly, so it is pretty easy to get around.

Our stay at the Royal Caribbean was too long ago to give you an accurate assessment now. Whitehouse is the winner, for me!
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM

There were 3 Sandals in MoBay last time I was there...I stayed at the one that was at the end of the airport runway...so close to the end in fact that when the planes flew overhead,the wheels were not yet retracted.
This occured from 7am til 10pm.If you Google map this resort,you can clearly see how close the resort is to the runway.
There was also a Sandals in MoBay the city...not very nice at all and can't imagine anyone wanting to stay there...perhaps the price was right.
There is a spectacular Sandals near MoBay,I believe it was named Sandals Royal Caribbean when I was there in 2001.I had dinner there on night and was impressed with the location and beauty of the resort.
the most luscious Sandals I have been to is St Lucia {2006} located near Rodney Bay.
Aug 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM

My husband and I have been to the Sandals Negril, Sandals Royal Caribbean and to Sandals Whitehouse two times. We adore Whitehouse and really liked Negril. The Royal was nice but we prefer to be away from crowds and the airport. For the money Whitehouse is the best bet. As someone previously said..scout out the pool you want. They have lively noisy ones and very quiet ones. The property is huge so be prepared to walk alot. John Hunter (mgr of grounds) has done a wonderful job landscaping in spite of Ivan and Dean. Jeremy Jones-the GM-e-mailed an answer to me about Dean. All it did was bring in a lot of seaweed and some plant damage. That particular Sandals was built to withstand a Cat 4 hurricane so people were evacuated to it when Dean was coming.
It can be expensive to take trips off the resort but the combined tour to the Appleton estate(Rum) and the Black River safari was worth it. My daughter went last Dec. and loved the YS Falls tour. Frankly it's a vacation and I like to relax and snorkel and my husband dives. The staff is great,every room has a view of the ocean and the restaurants are varied. Hope this helps. If not ask more questions. I can hardly wait to go back.
Aug 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Sandals Resorts are all different.Some have better beaches some better pools it depends on what you are looking for in a resort.They are all super resorts...have been to them all and some a few times. Feel free to email with your ? if you would like.
Aug 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM

We were at Sandals Dunns River in July and it was great. We liked it better than Sandlas Negril, because it was smaller and fewer guests. However, the beach at Negril is really good, probably better overall than the one at SDR. While we were there we used the free shuttle and visited Sandals Grand Ocho Rios and in our opinion SDR was much nicer. OF the two we have stayed at we liked SDR the best.