have free air fare,, want info as to expenses

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:57 AM
dan

have free air fare,, want info as to expenses

hi all,, i recently got a free r\t ticket to the carribean as compensation for being bumped off an overbooked flight, since i have to fly on only their flights, naturally, i've chosen the caymans over montego bay or D.R., my only choices on an island, i've seen alot of posts about how much it is WITH air fare,, how about without? i know it depends on time of year, and i'm thinking of going down probably sometime between feb. thru april of next year, although, christmas or new years is also a possibility, any help you can give me is appreciated. thanks.

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
sue

We are in a similar situation as we are using airmiles to go to Grand Cayman this summer. Out of season the prices are still fairly high, but check out www.gotocayman.com . There are a couple of guesthouses that are quite reasonable ($75US a day). We booked the Turtle Nest Inn, which is around $100, but which has the advantage of cooking facilities, as eating out seems to be very pricy. We have also rented a (very small) car for 10 days for $200US.
Hope this helps with your planning.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Leigh

If you have a voucher, you really need to contact the airline and verify the rules/restrictions/black out dates for your ticket. That right there will give you a lot of info on when you can go. More than likely you will be able to go in April and thru the summer as it is off season(rainy season). If you want to go around Xmas/new years you may encounter problems. The airline could likely have blackout dates at that time or the flights could be booked. From Feb - Begining of April you have to deal with end of winter travelers and Spring Breakers!

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
Sandy

Dan,
If you go to Grand Cayman during high season,Dec 15th-April 15th, your going to pay double for a condo or hotel what you would pay during low season. Also, you should consider renting a condo and fixing some of your meals like breakfast or lunch there, and then trying some of the great restaurants at night. Dining out is very expensive on the island. You've made a great choice going to GC, you'll love the island. The off season doesn't mean the rainy season either. You don't really have to worry about bad weather until September thru November.
Sandy

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:26 AM
Lenleigh

HELLO, Sorry Dan I didn't read your question correctly. It pretty much applies to your lodging question though. Prices will be higher until end of April most likely. If you go in May you should find some better rates. Thats when we went in 2000 and even though it is begining of rainy season we had pretty great weather! You can always check out the rates for xmas ans new years but they will probably be very high or already booked. Good luck and have a great trip!