Notices

Havana Hotel

Feb 18th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Havana Hotel

Would like to stay in a very nice (but still authentic) hotel in Havana for 2 or 3 nights. Any suggestions on 1 that we can enjoy walking and exploring during the day and night? We'd like to see some great music. Is the old part of Havana where we should spend our evenings and is it safe to walk around at night?

Thanks in advance.
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Three of the most "authentic" hotels in the Centro or Old Havana area would be.

HOTEL AMBOS MUNDOS
HOTEL FLORIDA
or
HOTEL NACIONAL

You can read more about these hotels on the website.
www.1click2cuba.com
then click on the Havana tab at the top.

You don't state what your budget is, nor what you define as authentic, but here is what they say about the Hotel Ambos Mundos.

Built in the 1920s, the elegant 4-star Hotel Ambos Mundos housed a rather well-known guest for a decade or so, Ernest Hemingway. In fact, it was in room 511 that he nurtured the plot for "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Today, after a much needed and painstaking renovation, the Ambos Mundos is once again, in all its glory. Be sure to request one of the top floor rooms overlooking the Habana Viejo. Also, be sure to visit the rooftop bar, as the views are incredible.

I have never had a problem travelling around Havana at night, though I admit to normally being with a group of friends, including Cuban nationals, so I guess you could say that my friends look out for me as well. Honestly not sure what the situation would be to wander around alone at night.

In the daytime, I have wandered virtually everywhere in Havana and had no problems. Of course I am 6'6" tall and weigh 240 lbs, so I would also assume there would be a natural intimidation factor for anybody with bad thoughts.

Anyway, have a great time in Havana.

Steve

Mar 14th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Hi, I hope this reply is in time. I just returned from 2 weeks in Havana. I stayed at El Convento de Santa Clara, which was once (obviously) a convent and is now a hotel and museum. A room here cost $17 USD per night with breakfast included (this may have been a group rate, however). I thought it was a lovely place to stay with a convenient location and rich ambiance. As for walking at night, it shouldn't be a problem in the least. I am a 21 year old female and couldn't go anywhere in Havana without recieveing lots of attention, however, I never felt threatened or unsafe even at night. There are police posted literally on every street corner. I hope you enjoy your trip, I am already dreaming about my next Cuba trip

Search this Thread