Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard anything about Lynn Jachney Charters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM
HaveVisaWillTravel

I am not sure if I should post this here or under the cruise forum, so I'll do both and see what kind of response I get. We would like to charter a private yacht for a few days during our trip next Feb. in the Carib. I asked a question here yesterday with no response about island destination possibilites (we have been to Grand Lido Negril, Jamaica). Anyway in doing research we would like to know now if anyone has heard of this charter service. Thanks. p.s. any idea how much $ we are talking about here? has anyone done gone on these private yacht cruises before?

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard of this charter broker, though I have no personal experience using them. It sounds like you are talking about a crewed yacht charter (hire a sailboat or motoryacht, with captain and/or chef, for several days). I have done a number of crewed yacht charters, but have used The Moorings rather than using a broker. The most popular area for doing a crewed yacht vacation is the British Virgin Islands, though you can book one anywhere in the Caribbean -- destinations limited only by your imagination and budget. It's a wonderful way to experience the islands, and offers a pampering experience -- though I will warn you that unless you are chartering a true mega-yacht, sailboat vacations are a bit like camping on the water. The cost varies depending on the size of the vessel, the popularity of the crew, the season you are traveling, the cruising grounds, etc. The last time I did one of these trips (December, 2000 in Grenada and the Grenadines), we paid roughly $1,000 per day for a 50 foot sailboat with captain and chef (there were a total of 6 of us, plus the crew).<BR><BR>Visit www.traveltalkonline.com, particularly the BVI forum, to find a really knowledgable group of charterers (crewed and bareboat).
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Lynn's been in the private charter biz longer than just about anybody and is very precise, very reputable.Rates run the spectrum, depending on boat,itinerary,guests,etc. She's a good step up from the usual...
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:50 AM
HaveVisaWillTravel

Thank you both so much. Tivertonhouse, I must say that you have always responded to my posts and I appreciate it. Thanks too Callaloo for all your information. This has been something we both have wanted to do for a long time. It would be for a special event, so we don't mind spending the extra $. Are there any nice resorts in the British VI that you recommend that don't allow children. Most I have seen allow kids. I am thinking that perhaps a stay at one of these resorts with a three day yacht stay would be a good combination. Any other ideas would be helpful. Thank you again for your knowledge.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:41 AM

If you have the $$$, I would suggest Peter Island Resort, Biras Creek or Guana Island. Check their websites or call to confirm, but I am pretty certain all of them discourage children.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 05:10 PM

Client of ours who used to rent his ketch ' Starburst' through Lynne may still be plying BVI waters -- but for Feb, even tho a longer haul down, would recommend far south -- Grenadines for better weather, child-free smaller places. If you want to take a flyer on something far more remote and just now being discovered, check into Los Roques, a string of islands off the Venezulean coast btw. the ABCs and Margarita Island.