Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Has anyone gotten a last minute deal on Presidents week travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:56 AM
nina

We are used to grabbing last minute vacation deals (at normally half price) through Apple, and have had a lot of luck doing this. Next year though, my kid's have Presidents week off for winter vacation, rather than the less popular 2nd week in March they've had in the past. Do we have any chance at all of last minute deals during that week? Has anyone ever gotten one? I'm not sure I want to pay $ 6000 for a trip that would cost me half that on an off week.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Gail

Hi Nina,<BR>Dumb southerner that I am, (schools don't get out for president's week here)we traveled to St. Thomas in 2001 during pres. week- Was enlightened there re: the vacation. This past winter we wanted to go at the same time but the price difference was terrible- Changed weeks and got a much better price. As daughter was missing school at either time, we went the last week in Jan. Good Luck!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:01 AM
nina

Thanks Gail. Cheap traveler that I am (I just HATE to pay top dollar for travel), I'll probably pull the kids out in January when I know I can get a good deal! I guess I was just holding out hope that there was the possibility of a last minute deal during a holiday week. One can hope, right?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:57 AM
cdt

We visited the Caribbean twice during President's Week and paid quite a bit both times, but we lacked the nerve to wait until the last minute.<BR><BR>Since you mentioned pulling the kids out of school, I'd like to comment on that:<BR><BR>Generally, I'm against it. We've taken our son with us to the Caribbean and Florida when he was in grades 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, and 11. All but grade 1 were during school vacations. In retrospect, I realize that it would have been OK to pull him out of school anytime prior to middle school, which starts with grade 6 in our town.<BR><BR>Once they hit middle school, there are multiple teachers to deal with, and the work is more demanding. Extracurriculars can also be a problem.<BR><BR>Of course, if a child is having problems in school, there is no good time to pull him out.<BR><BR>At any rate, he's about the graduate as valedictorian, and mom and dad can't wait to travel during a non-vacation week!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:00 PM
nina

Well, one of my sons is in middle school, so pulling him out won't be easy. We've never down it before either, as our winter vacation was always in March, but I'm very tempted, especially considering how high a premium one most pay for that President's week. The teachers are pretty good about it in our town, since kids always seem to be tagging along on overseas biz trips here.<BR><BR>I do have the nerve to wait last minute though, I guess if nothing comes up I'll just pull them out and see how it goes. I don't think he'll be a contender for valetictorian anyway.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:08 AM
nina

And yes, I do realize I misspelled valedictorian, even though I wasn't one!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:18 AM
ML

I pulled my daughter out in 3rd grade and her teacher was disappointed in my decision. I have not done ot since <BR>besides the school work, it sets a bad example.<BR>But people still do it all the time. <BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:43 AM
deals

I'm from the northeast and a teacher, so I generally travel over President's Week. I've done okay with getting good deals. I let my travel agent know in plenty of time (I'd let her know now) and she scrounges around for good deals. I give her a list of the places I want to stay and airports that I'm willing to fly from and she does all the rest. I've got a reservation at the Ritz in Montego Bay for that week in 2003. $1300 a person including air, all-inclusive. Not bad at all . . .

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:35 AM
donnie

I recommend asking a few of your children's teachers how they feel about taking the kids out of school for a week. Perhaps that will make your decision easier.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:22 AM
nina

First of all, I've spoken to their teachers in the past when I've considered this and they were fine with it. As I said, it is very common in our town to take kids out for trips and they are used to it, but thanks for the concern everyone! And I'm not quite sure what ML means by setting a bad example, I believe that travel can be an educational and enriching experience.<BR><BR>Deals, that does indeed sound like a fair deal for President's week. Obviously given the choice I prefer to vacation when they are out of school anyway. Do you mind if I ask who you use for an agent? Can you give me a number or website? Thanks, I'm always scoping out the deals too!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:24 AM
nina

Deals, I just re-read your post and see that you're price at the Ritz is for all-inclusive! That is a good deal! Please, please give me that agents name, I'm waiting by the phone with credit card in hand....