Has anyone been to the Hopetown Harbour Lodge?

Jun 17th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to the Hopetown Harbour Lodge?

We are headed to the Hopetown Lodge in the Abacos in November for a wedding (with our kids). THe pics on their website look beautiful. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge and/or experience? What are the accomodations like? We booked a "poolside cabana." Will it be tough with kids? Thx
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM

The beach is endless and beautiful. Also, depending on the ages of your kids, a "Best-Kept" secret: a great snorkeling reef lies just a few yards offshore from Hopetown Lodge. Bring some snorkeling equip. (or rent some there). It resembles a small New England fishing village in a way, with small cottages lining the beach area. There is no planned out activity list like you see in plush resorts; your kids will have to rely on their own creativity...maybe that ain't too bad! You'll enjoy the island; it's beautiful. Robert
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert. Sounds beautiful! How much do you know about the lodge itself i.e. service, accomodations etc? Hoping it's top notch. Also, my kids are mere babes...1 and 4...which is why I picture it being a bit tricky!
Jun 18th, 2003, 10:49 AM

The beach will be great for them, especially the 4-year-old. I don't recommend the snorkeling for them, but you will enjoy it. It is elegant, quiet and serene. This island is a place to relax, let your hair down and simply enjoy. No planned itinerary, so plan your own fun. They offer the tropical grounds, uncrowded beach and warm ocean water...you do the rest. I would recommend that you rent a golf cart (the only means of transportation other than a bicycle) to explore this cay with both your children. The rooms aren't spectacular but are very clean and in a good location. I've never stayed there but walked around the grounds several times. It was never crowded and the staff is great. Unlike the 4 Seasons and other "spectacular" hotels, the Hopetown Lodge places the accent on the individual, during dinner time, throughout the day, and for about anything you need or want. You will get to know each of the staff personally, the place is that laid-back, small, uncrowded (like many 4 Seasons resorts are), with no waits, no lines, no elbow-to-elbow pool or beach experiences, etc. Beware how the rum drinks are mixed in the Reef Bar & Grill; tastes like candy but sneak up on you. Have only one Guana Grabber there...just kidding...I think. Bring a book to read. As far as being "tough with the kids," a 1 and 4 year old can be tough anywhere. But, the beach is uncomparable, you will relate to the Corona beer commercial, where they throw their pager in the ocean from a hammock under a coconut palm. Do not go swimming or splashing around in the ocean during the early morning or at dusk or in the evening. During the day, no problem. The staff will serve you a rum punch while by the beach, and you won't have any worries. You may witness a pod of dolphins in the Atlantic or Sea of Abaco, a few pods of these free-roaming wild mammals spend much time there. Robert
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

OK...sounds incredible. Now my only fear is that we will never come home....!! Thx!!
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Go to Yahoo and type in Abaco Community Message board, then stroll down to "(views: 122) -- Steve Miller -- on Wednesday 6/18 @ 10:08 p.m; it's a picture of the beach at Hopetown Harbour Lodge." You'll see what I mean by the Corona beer analogy. Robert again.
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:58 AM

OOPS! Sorry; you might at first get the old Abaco Community Message Board. If so click on the "Our New Board abacoboard.com. Try It!!" at the top and it will take you to the new board. Stroll down to what I described in the previous post. You'll notice the gin-colored and turquoise waters just a few feet off their beach. This is a great snorkeling reef. Robert
Jun 19th, 2003, 12:13 PM

To Best. No. Robert
Jun 19th, 2003, 01:30 PM

I love that Corona commercial!
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM

We stayed at Hopetown Harbour Lodge in November of last year. We were very happy there. Excellent food, beautiful beaches and the lodge is in a beautiful location. Close to shops, etc. You will have a wonderful time.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM

For some reason, the picture of the beach/ocean from Hopetown Harbour Lodge moved up on the Abaco Message Board. Type in: http://abacoboard.com/cgi-bin/noteboards/abacos.cgi?
and scroll down about 5 inches to "View from Hopetown Harbour Lodge" Robert