Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Has Anyone Been to Saba? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/has-anyone-been-to-saba-80656/)

Miriam G. Jul 25th, 2000 09:43 AM

Has Anyone Been to Saba?

Considering combining our next trip to Aruba with a trip to Saba. <BR> <BR>We have only heard amazing things about this island, and two resorts there, Willards and Queens Gardens. <BR> <BR>A co-worker said that the views from all of the resorts are unbelievable, and the island is hilly and LUSH. No crime either,and great diving and snorkeling. She also said the sunsets are insane,and they rise over St. Kitts and Nevis in the distance. <BR> <BR>I just would like to learn more, and see if anyone here has some opinions on Saba. <BR> <BR>Thanks!!!!

Barbara Jul 25th, 2000 09:52 AM

I live in St. Maarten,just a hop away from Saba <BR>It is a beautiful very small( 5 sq, miles) island. they call her the unspolied queen which is certainly true. <BR>the island is clean and quiet with little villages scattered on the hillsides. very charming <BR>the diving off Saba is excellent, if you are divers. <BR>there are no beaches on Saba..just winding mountaineous roads <BR>you can walk up Mt. Scenery through a gorgeous rain forest <BR>the views are fantastic <BR>the people are friendly <BR>there is not much else to do there howver. Most visitors go there for a few days only <BR>It is cetainly worth a trip, but I would not plan on staying there a long time unless you really want to just kick back and be away from everything.

Miriam G. Jul 27th, 2000 06:03 AM

Thank You so much Barbara! <BR> <BR>It is so hard to find information on Saba. <BR> <BR>I have found a couple of websites during my down time at work (like now!!), and everything I have seen looks so beautiful and romantic. <BR> <BR>I read that many of the people keep their doors open at night, so that they can greet neighbors and chat them up! There is defintely no other place I can think of off hand where you can do that! <BR> <BR>I love how the resorts are perched up in the hills, with flowers and palms everywhere, and you can wake up and see all the way to St. Maarten and St. Kitts. It is so stunning! <BR> <BR>Well, I'll keep you posted and let you know. I am hoping to get this booked soon! Thanks again!

jbrooks Jul 27th, 2000 06:13 AM

Hi, Miriam; <BR> <BR>IF you love the idea of Saba and the quiet, laid back way of life...I would definitely suggest that you forget Aruba and spend the rest of your vacation in the British Virgin Islands. They are a lot like Saba and only a few miles apart. Plus, the BVI has some incredible beaches and snorkeling/diving . I have never been a big fan of aurba, although it is a nice island. To me, its too touristy and more like a small american suburb and WINDY...the BVI and Saba are both ultra-charming and have lots of character. We have been all over the caribbean and the BVI area is the only one we return to constantly! If you need more info, feel free to e-mail me!

Ruth Sep 14th, 2000 02:21 PM

I am considering Saba as a destination for my 40th birthday next spring. I'm wondering if Miriam went there and what she thought. Does anyone else have any opinions, comments, tips, recommendations? Thanks.

Penny Sep 15th, 2000 10:04 AM

Hi Miriam-I have read about Saba,have flown past it.,have seen it in the distance from Anguilla-it certainly is intersting-it looks like a large mountain rising from the sea.I was just wondering Saba & Aruba are not close. What else are you looking for-Saba is much closer to Anguilla,St. Martin,St.BArts.

upto Sep 18th, 2000 02:24 PM

yes Oct 4th, 2000 08:39 AM

yes