Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Has anyone actually been to Frenchman's Cay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/has-anyone-actually-been-to-frenchmans-cay-57972/)

Beth Dec 10th, 1999 07:39 PM

Has anyone actually been to Frenchman's Cay?

A friend and I are planning a vacation on Tortola. We came across an old Travel & Leisure that gave Frenchman's Cay Hotel the top marks for Tortola. We would like very much to hear from someone who has been there. What's it like and how is it different from other resorts in its class?

Louis Dec 11th, 1999 02:20 PM

In the text seach window type in Frenchmans Cay and then click on search. I believe you will get about 59 posting to look through and I will think you find many comments from people that have stayed there. If you have not done so, you can see more about them at their web site http://www.frenchmans.com.

Beth Dec 12th, 1999 07:38 AM

I tried that Louis, but got mainly stuff on Frenchman's Reef. There were a couple of things on Frenchman's Cay, not much though. But thanks for the help!

Karen Dec 12th, 1999 06:12 PM

Hello! Yes, been there ... done that! And if I were ever to think of going back to Tortola, that is exactly where I would stay! Lovely villas hillside with wonderful views. Great couple on site do an incredible job of making guests comfortable. Small beach ... not wonderful but then there are few that are on Tortola (my editiorial comment only). Restaurant was excellent and enjoyed it. Only that and the Sugar Mill warrented a return dinner. Not clear on what you consider "in the same class."

Louis Dec 13th, 1999 04:55 PM

I am surprised that you did not find more about Frenchmans Cay through a search. Over and over again I have seen favorable postings on Fodors and elsewhere. I have never seen a negative comment. Since we travel at the last moment, it has always been booked as we have stopped by. We have been there, looked the place over but we have not stayed there. In general we do not spend much time on Tortola since our main interest in the BVI is snorkeling and it is not very good around Tortola. However, if we were to stay anywhere on Tortola with a car, this would be our choice for several reasons. The location has and outstanding view with lots of tradewind. We hate air conditioners. It has an excellent restaurant. It has excellent prices for what you get. The facilities are spacious. It has a small beach and there might be some fish around the rocks. It is very close to the ferry if you want to visit Jost Van Dyke or St. Thomas. From what we have seen, I would not hesitate to recommend Frenchmans Cay. This is based on a comparision of all other alternatives on Tortola that we have seen. Most of the time when we spend a day or two in Tortola we stay right in Roadtown to be near transportation and other conveniences since we always are going elsewhere. With a car I would not know of a better place to stay than Frenchmans Cay. I will not include villas in this since we hate to cook when out of town.

nancy Dec 16th, 1999 09:09 AM

Frenchman's Cay is a great place... quite, great views, best food on the island. Make sure you rent a jeep as you'll spend your days exploring the various beaches on the island.

joel Dec 21st, 1999 11:10 AM

My wife and I have spent four most excellent vacations there of 10-14 days duration. Like a few others who frequent the BVI and Fodors, we have seen quite a lot of quite a few of the resorts. I have paid more elsewhere in the BVI and not had as good a stay as I've had at Frenchman's, but it's always a matter of taste. Personally, I do not know of a single rip-off in the BVI. And isn't it nice to visit a country where no one is rude and no one torques you off? FC's management team, a couple, are quite charming and energetic in providing service. The features of FC are the following: outstanding views from every cottage, roomy 2 floor accomodations with full kitchens, a restaurant that provides the best combination of food and "au natural" setting on Tortola, and a very private, intimate hillside property with few guests (9 cottages). (Be happy to provide more info, Beth, but I'm away for the holidays.) <BR>