Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   has anybody stayed at CIBONEY? ciboney???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/has-anybody-stayed-at-ciboney-ciboney-72451/)

BOBBY May 17th, 2000 12:59 PM

has anybody stayed at CIBONEY? ciboney????

can anyone give me some info?

Cindy May 20th, 2000 07:38 PM

Hi. Didn't personally stay there but a close friend did last Oct. for their honeymoon and they loved it. They stayed in one of the villas with the personal attendant and said the service/breakfasts were excellent. They also enjoyed the spa services and tennis clinics. Hope this helps a bit. If you need more info, let me know and I'll contact them.

Don May 30th, 2000 07:16 PM

My girlfriend & I went there (Ciboney at Ocho Rios)last year, & it was great. We only stayed 4 nites, but will go there again & stay at least 7 nites. We got the weekend suprise package & they put us in cottage with our own swimming pool. We are older & this was a no kids all-inclusive. The staff, the food, & everything was excellent.

lara May 31st, 2000 05:07 AM

Ciboney was just purchased by Sandals, so expect a lot of changes (not necessarily in a good way!).

paula May 31st, 2000 12:29 PM

We stayed at Ciboney last year...the facility is beautiful - the tennis courts can use some attention, but other than that it was gorgeous. We satyed in the main house, were originally disappointed that we didn't get a villa, but it turned outit wasn't a problem at all. The room was beautiful and our balcony overlooked activities onthe bcak lawn. We could sit up there, sip our wine and take in everything at once. The seaside restaurant is the best...you'll need to eat there at least once. The buffet restaurant had a limited a la carte menu for dinner and the patio restaurant had a great atmosphere. The complimentary massage is not to be missed - make your appointment early. Thebeach, across the street, accessible via shuttle servie every 5 minutes or bywalking is small but has a great boradwalk and gazebo. It is next door to Sandals and made us very happy we had choen to stay at Ciboney. there were still plenty of activities, but at a much nicer pace. Off site day trips are available as well. Let me know if oyu need more info.

Kristen Jun 7th, 2000 07:27 PM

Paula: <BR> <BR>sounds like of all the responses you have some good info to give. I will be travelling to jamaica and staying at Ciboney next week with a girl friend of mine. We are both looking to get away and relax with good drink and food but we are also interested in "checking out" the island as well. Can you suggest any particular fun spots that you may have encountered or a good "tour" that you did from the resort? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

paula Jun 18th, 2000 09:39 AM

If you haven't been to Jamaica before, there are definitely 2 trips worth doing. One is the trip to Dunns RIver Falls, it is beautiful!! It isn't far from Ciboney. You actually start at the bottom of the falls, and walk up! There is an "easy" route, which you can access at several steps through out the upward trek, if you are not very adventurous. I am not the picture of physical fitness, but had no difficulty making the climb. Bring water shoes if you have them, if not you can "rent" a pair there. The guide takes all the cameras for the group and keeps them away from the water - which you as a participant might have a little difficulty doing. They will gladly take your pictures on the way up at a vareity of different spots. Of course, there will be a commercially available photo at the hotel the next day as well. The water is chilly as it comes from the mountains, but it is a pleasant experience, <BR> <BR>We also took the 20 mile DOWNHILL bicycle trip!!! This was a blast! A minivan takes you up into teh Blue Mountains, so you really get to see the country-side. oualso get a preview of the road you willbe cycling down! Some of the views are spectacular. At the very start of the ride, you can look down on Kingston on the southern coast -quite impressive. You cycle - again it is all downhill!! - through coffee country and a few small 'villages". You get to try fresh sugar cane and the locals are always ready to get a chuckle out of the bicycling tourists. Several guides ride down with you - this is a good chance to talkt to them and really get a picture of the local life. I had a great conversation with a 20-year old, who was just a curious as to what my kids did in the States. At the end, there is an opportunity to swim in a natural pool and jump off some high rocks into the water - most if us passsed, but watched the local kids who were willing to "perform" for a couple bucks. You can buy Blue Mountain Coffee before you leave - bring singles - the vendors will claim not ot have change AFTER you give tehm a larger bill - and yes they accept US dollars as well as Jamaican. Our driver/guide was extremely entertaining and informative - it was certainly an education as to their perspective on life - very different from ours. <BR> <BR>To be honest, there were two hills on this trip - on part way down - but with enough momemtum coming down it is not a problem (plus they let you know when it is coming). The second one is at the very end and it was alittle more challenging, though most of the men made it up - most of the women ended up walking. If you are fit - get to the front of the line for the end or leave enough space between you and the person in front of you, so someone hopping off to walk doesn't ruin your upward momemtum!! <BR> <BR>Of course - there is also the market for shopping - a duty-free mall and regular craftspeople. This is jus a short distance from the hotel. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you'd like to know anything else!!