Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Harbour Island- What's the Best Property?I Hear I

Dec 13th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Tom

Planning on a week on Harbour Island in early May; What high-end hotel or guesthouse
can anyone recommend?
Thanks.

w

Dec 15th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Pink Sands

Harbour Island has one 3 mile beach. We took a tour of all the hotels. If you want hig-end, then it would be Pink Sands. Seemed very Hollywood to us. If you like that sort of thing then go for it. Another upscale place was Dunmore.

Personally, we weren't that impressed with HI after going to Bermuda, Cabo and St. John. If your just looking to get away for 3 or 4 days, then HI would be ok.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Jan 15th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Shari

My husband and I stayed at the Pink Sands in May 2001. It was the most incredible place I have ever stayed in--in the caribbean. No, the Bahamas do not equal Bermuda, however, the Pink Sands (as a hotel) was nicer than ANY place on any other Caribbean island. Trust me. My husband and I are world travelers. The communal areas, the food and the service are second to none. Splurge and get a room overlooking the ocean. We cried when we had to come home. Enjoy.

Jan 15th, 2003, 04:54 PM
joanne

Can you tell me how you got yo HI? Did you fly to Nassau, or into North Eleuthra and boat over? I am interested in going there, I love the idea of no cars, just golf carts, but I dislike small planes.

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:18 PM
lovethesun

Tom,

I agree that Pink Sands is very nice and right on the beach. You can also try the www.briland.com website for info on all the resorts on island.

Our favorite is Runaway Hill, www.runawayhill.com, on the small side only 10 rooms but the best food on island. They offer a meal plan, or you can just decide if you want to eat in when you see the menu for the evening as you come down for breakfast. Eating breakfast is the best treat there, as you eat on the porch overlooking the water and everything is very fresh and the bread was made earlier that morning.

We've mbet all kinds of interesting people who stay there from authors to ceo's, most are regulars like us who go back each year.

There is a bit of nite life and several good restaurants on island, fishing, water sports, 2 dive ops and great snorkling right off the beach.

You will have a wonderful time on island, enjoy.

Joanne,

You can fly directly into Nassau and take Bahamas Air (10 minute flight), on a medium size plane I think it seats 40 people, or take the Fast Ferry over, which goes twice a day out of the port area downtown Nassau it's the BoHengy.
www.bahamasfastferries.com. The price to fly or take the ferry is about the same, so you could fly one way and take the ferry the other. Both will give you beautiful sites of the islands.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:49 PM
sylvester

I agree with lovethesun... I think you will really enjoy Runaway Hill. If you want the best room for the view, there's the Honeymoon Suite, right off the dining room (Woo Hoo!) or my fav which is next door to the office, it also has a nice balcony and I have even slept out there like a beached whale just to enjoy the breeze and hear the waves.

There are several good restaurants on island now, so you will have lots of choices for dinner. There's The Landing, Harbour Lounge, Dunsmore, Romora Bay, Pink Sands and Coral Sands but the best food on island we think is at Runaway. (I'm not associated with the property, the island, or its consulate by the way).

For lunch you can eat in during the high season, or go downtown to Angela's for great Bahamaian food, Miss Mae's, The Deli, Ma Ruby's (hamburger there is a MUST) and there are a couple of beach bar restaurants including Pink Sands and Coral Sands. I always gain 10 pounds each trip, but its worth it!

You might also come to the Harbour Island website www.briland.com for more info and pictures. Again, I am not associated with boosting the tourist industry in any way. I just like to spend a lot of time urging people to go to Runaway Hill as I sit here having just one more snack.

Have a wonderful time.

sylvester

Jan 16th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Paul

Tom;

My wife and I visited H.I. and Pink Sands a few years ago for our 10th.
It was heaven to say the least. We had the cottage "Glass Window" which was very private yet only a minutes walk from one of the most beautiful beaches we've yet to enjoy. Pinks Sands is not cheap but it's certainly high end and
"chic".

There's not much to do on that island short of eating, drinking and loafing.
Sounds like the perfect vacation huh?

FYI...we flew Chicago-Miami-Eleuthera.

Have fun!

Jan 16th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Mel

Hi Tweedy NICE to se you back (lovethesun) too bad people gave you such a hard time as you did give good info about Nassau and HI.

Jan 16th, 2003, 10:19 AM
topper

ttt

Jan 20th, 2003, 12:44 PM
luvbluewater

Hi Tom, We just returned from a week on Harbour Island! We stayed at the Runaway Hill Club which we loved, however I wouldn't describe it as a high end. It's more like staying in someones beachfront home. Very clean, cozy and excellent food. We found it to be one of the best hotels on the Island. We did tour the Pink Sands and had lunch there in the "Blue Bar" (FABULOUS). We did discover a VERY new hotel that opened last November that is WONDERFUL and high end. It's called the Rock House. It's a very elegant sofisticated boutique hotel that has only 10 rooms and a great bar & restaraunt. I would look into that if you're looking for a quiet elegant place. It's on the Harbor side of the Island. Good Luck and have a great time! It's a great Island!