Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Harbour Island question? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/harbour-island-question-208218/)

Lance Apr 28th, 2002 10:38 AM

Harbour Island question?

Tweedy or anyone else with some info, <BR> I posted a message earlier and after the encouragement am now all set to make my excursion to Harbour Island. I think we will stay in Nassau for a few days and then go over to HI for a few nights (3-4). I was wondering if you had any advice regarding Coral Sands or The Landing. My options are fairly limited because we are going in June and some places are booked. <BR> Thanks

tweedy Apr 28th, 2002 12:46 PM

Hi Lance, <BR><BR>I am so glad you decided to go, you will have a great time.<BR><BR>For accomodations, I would suggest Coral Sands or Romora Bay, the Landing is very nice, small and on the Bay side of the island, more like a B&B.<BR><BR>Coral Sands is right on the beach a nice pool area and beach bar, also there will be other kids staying there so your kids will have a bit more to do.<BR><BR>Romora Bay is another good suggestion, it is on the Bay side of the island and a short walk to the beach. There is also a nice pool area and has one of the best restaurants on island.<BR><BR>You can arrange snorkle trips right at the dock, a local water taxi will take you out to a deserted island and arrange to pick you up at the end of the day. Or you can book with Valentine's or Fox Ocean Dive for snorkle or dive trips. Valentine's even has a resort course. Lots of good dive and snorkle sites all around the island.<BR><BR>The fast ferry and Bahamas Air are about the same cost, so you might try the ferry in one direction and the flight in the other, the view is amazing.<BR><BR>There are so many good places to eat on island now, but two favorites are Angela's and Ma Ruby's and Coral Sands for the conch burgers.<BR><BR>When you get to the dock on Harbour Island, look for Reggie, he is a local cab driver and knows everthing there is to know about the island. He would be happy to take you on a tour so you can get to know your way around. There are also golf carts for rent so you can explore the island as well.<BR><BR>Bring LOTS of sun block. The sun there is HOT in June and very direct, so lather up very frequently.<BR><BR>Have a GREAT time and let me know if you have any other questions.

JB Apr 30th, 2002 08:53 AM

Lance, <BR>Please let me know how it goes when you return. I'm heading there for a week in early July for the first time. Staying at Romora, any current advice would help. Thanks.

linda Apr 30th, 2002 09:51 AM

Tweedy, <BR>I stayed at Romora a few years ago.The food was great, loved the grounds and management- but they kept losing power EVERY day! I realize it happens in the Caribbean, but we had whole nights without air conditioning and we got really hot!Do you know if it's any better? I am ready to return!

tweedy Apr 30th, 2002 10:17 AM

Hi Linda,<BR><BR>I laughed when I read your note about power outage, happened to me in the middle of a shower, the pump needs electricity too, lol.<BR><BR>Actually it still happens, but rarely these days, also thunderstorms don't help and the power station on the island is run better now. Also most of the resorts on island now have backup generators....just in case.<BR><BR>JB:<BR><BR>I think you will love Romora, the accomodations are villas overlooking the bay. There is also a cute bar at the end of the dock where everyone goes at the end of the day to watch the sunset.<BR><BR>Romora and Runaway Hill have the best food on island so figure on gaining a couple of pounds, but hey there's always a beach to run on, lol.<BR><BR>Romora also has a nice bar area and commons area with books and games and in the center of the landscaping they have 2 Macaws, blue and gold and military if I remember right. They will even talk to you.<BR><BR>Romora is a bit of a hike to downtown, lol, well it's not really a "town" but there are quite a few stores now and a deli and gift shops, art gallery, bakery, even the Harbour Island "Mall", which is a about 4 stores in a row.<BR><BR>When you get to the dock, there will be several cab drivers to take you to Romora, tell any of them I said HI.<BR><BR>Also you might enjoy a stop at the Harbour Island Day Nursery, it is the day care center on the island and visitors are welcome. I usually stop in a teach a song or a game. The chidren are so excited to meet visitors.<BR><BR>Staying at Romora you are right down the street from Ma Ruby's for the BEST hamburger you can imagine and a few more steps to Seagrapes one of the nite spots for drinks and dancing.<BR><BR>If you are planning on being there for the 10th July that is Independence Day and there will be all kinds of festivities a Junkanoo Parade, food fest, and fireworks.<BR><BR>We will be there in late June or early July and CAN'T WAIT.<BR><BR>If you have any other questions, please let me know.<BR><BR>tweedy

Martin Apr 30th, 2002 11:14 AM

We're planning a day trip from Nassau over to HI on the fast ferry. Do we need to book our tickets in advance or will we be ok just buying them that day? Thanks.

Amy Apr 30th, 2002 01:00 PM

Does anyone know how long the fast ferry takes?

tweedy Apr 30th, 2002 07:53 PM

I would make a reservation with Fast Ferry (www.bahamasfastferries.com) before you leave on your trip. The trip to Harbour Island is about 2 hours and you get to stop at Spanish Wells before you get to Harbour Island, so you get to see a bit more of the out islands.<BR><BR>If you are traveling in the off season, you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat on the ferry, but I would book in advance just to make sure.<BR><BR>Harbour Island is a little jewel, I know you will have a great time, and please say HI to everyone there for me!!

Lance May 4th, 2002 09:52 AM

I have narrowed it down to Coral Sands or Romora Bay. Which would you recommend to stay at? The Romora offers breakfast with the rate and it is a bit cheaper but not on the beach. This is a honeymoon and so that also might play a part in the decision. Thanks!! <BR>

Paul May 4th, 2002 10:15 AM

All else being equal.......take the beach!! Good luck and congrads!

tweedy May 4th, 2002 06:38 PM

In that case I think I would go with Romora Bay. It is just a bit more intimate, and still has the amenities you are looking for and though it is not on the beach it is very close. The view from the villas is the bay and you get a bit more privacy in the villas.<BR><BR>Also the food at Romora is great. I think the food at Romora and Runaway are the best on island.<BR><BR>June is off season so the prices are a bit lower, but the island is still buzzing and all the stores and resorts are still open.<BR><BR>Have a great time.<BR><BR>tweedy

George May 29th, 2002 01:18 PM

My preference would be Coral Sands over<BR>the Romora. We stayed in the new<BR>building 2nd floor and could hear<BR>the waves lull you to sleep each night.<BR>Short walk to the beach. Great staff,<BR>chef is wonderful. <BR><BR>We stopped in all the hotels and<BR>Coral Sands was our favorite. Pink<BR>Sands is next door but snobby in<BR>our opinion. You get the same beach<BR>as they do but nicer staff and again<BR>the room could not be beat. Huge!!!