Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Harbour Island or Abaco??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/harbour-island-or-abaco-209917/)

Gina Apr 30th, 2002 09:29 AM

Harbour Island or Abaco???

Hi. Can't decide between these two islands. <BR>Here's what I want:<BR>-Gorgeous, calm water<BR>-off-shore snorkeling<BR>-Peace and quiet<BR>-Nice accomodations (specifically bdrm/bath)<BR>-a Kitchen (so we don't ALWAYS have to eat out)<BR><BR>I've looked at Bahama Beach Club on Abaco . . it looks pretty nice. Any first-hand opionions/advice? On HI, realistically considering Dunmore, Coral Sands, and have been hearing alot about Runaway Hill. Pink Sands looks awesome too -- but probably too expensive.<BR><BR>This vacation is a getaway for me and my husband. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Robert Apr 30th, 2002 10:17 AM

Both places have what you want, but they are unique in other ways. Abaco is huge(113 miles long) with dozens of cays off her shores. Each Cay has a unique aspect, too. The Dolphin Beach Hotel and Guana Seaside Village, both on Great Guana Cay off of Abaco, have all what you desire. And, with a golf cart, you can go to other places as well on Great Guana. There are isolated snorkeling beaches like "High Rocks" and more visited ones, like the coral reef offshore of the Nipper's Night Club(about 60 feet off the beach). Nipper's rocks on Friday and Saturday nights and they have a pig roast on Sunday's that hard to beat. Robert

Pat Apr 30th, 2002 11:23 AM

My family of four and another couple just spent a wonderful week on Great Guana Cay in Abacos. Great weather, no bugs, great snorkeling from shore. we rented a boat so also had fine fishing. We did not eat at restaurants, just bought from local small grocery and cooked in the kitchen of rental house. We highly reccommend this trip. Only drawback was the very cramped little airport (where time seems to stand still)on Saturday afternoon. Try to fly in midweek.

Doug May 1st, 2002 02:58 AM

Hi Gina, just came back from a trip yesterday from Harbour Island.<BR>The island is very nice and the Pink Sands Beach is AMAZING. The waters were warm and the daytime temp was 86 degrees, there are sea kayaks for rent, horseback riding on the beach is available, snorkeling, golf cart rentals and a host of great restaurants and straw market vendors. We ate ate Hammerheads for lunch and the Harbour Lounge for dinner.Pink Sands is very expensive, prices range from $800-$2100 per night.Try the Royal Palms Hotel, very affordable and clean. The day ended with a relaxing water taxi ride over to the main land of Eleuthera. Harbour Island, Eleuthera is excellent. Doug

tweedy May 1st, 2002 10:10 PM

Gina,<BR><BR>There are several nice places to stay on HI. Runaway is my personal favorite and I have been staying there for 15 years whenever I can get a break from NYC.<BR><BR>There's also Coral Sands, Dunsmore Beach Club, Romora Bay, Bahama House and The Landing (the last two are B&B's over looking the bay)<BR><BR>Most of the resorts on island have a pool and overlook the beach or for Romora Bay it is right on the water on the bay side.<BR><BR>There are alot of good places to eat on island and there are several shops, an art gallery, deli, grocery stores, bakeries and the library has computers now for email access.<BR><BR>Hope this helps and if you need any other info on the island, please let me know.<BR><BR>tweedy

Gina May 2nd, 2002 04:48 AM

From what I'm hearing, sounds like I can't go wrong with either one, huh? Now . . . to just figure out accomodations . . . <BR><BR>REALLY leaning toward Bahama Beach Club or Treasure Cay Hotel/Resort . . but haven't heard alot about them on this forum -- so I'm a little leary. Maybe they're remote, undiscovered places that nobody's stayed at -- PERFECT!! They both seem to fit my criteria of nice accomodations and a kitchen. However, those are both on Abaco. <BR><BR>What about HI? Is Coral Sands more of a family destination? Looks like there's alot to do there. Has anyone stayed at the new apartments?<BR>Dunmore looks great. Do the cottages have ovens?<BR><BR>Pat -- what villa did you rent?<BR><BR>O.k., o.k., I'm being picky, I know . .but I want this to be perfect . . haven't been alone on a vacation with my husband since our honeymoon.<BR><BR>Thanks again for any responses!!

tweedy May 2nd, 2002 06:57 AM

Gina if this is a getaway with your hubby, stay at Runaway Hill. The rooms are very nice, no kitchen, but hey who wants to do their own cooking on vacation.<BR><BR>There is an honors bar so you can make yourself at home, and the best food on island.<BR><BR>There are lots of places to eat and a few really inexpensive places as well. Really not worth getting a kitchen, just relax and have a great time.<BR><BR>The website for more info on Runaway is www.runawayhill.com<BR><BR>I have not stayed in the apartments at Coral Sands, but have seen one and it was very nicely done. Coral Sands was owned by a good friend of mine and sold it a year or so ago. Alot of rennovations have been done to the property including a pool and the beach bar was redone, thanks to Hurricane Lenny.<BR><BR>Let me know if you have any other questions.<BR><BR>tweedy

Gina May 3rd, 2002 05:53 AM

Tweedy -- to be honest, the runaway hill website doesn't give me a lot of info! I don't see many pictures so I'm a little leary to reserve there w/o knowing much about it.<BR><BR>I'm leaning more toward Abaco .. Treasure Cay Hotel or Bahama Beach Club .. any info. on either of those?

Toni May 3rd, 2002 06:17 AM

Hi, Gina!<BR>Haven't been to Abaco myself, but have it on my list of "places that I want to visit". <BR>A forum/message board that has tons of info on Abaco:<BR>http://oii.net/Forum/abacoboard.shtml<BR><BR>Hope this helps. (I've always been interested in TreasureCay myself; wherever you end up staying pls post info upon your return!).<BR>Thx.<BR><BR>

Robert May 3rd, 2002 03:34 PM

Gina; I think the Abacos would suit you fine. You could rent a boston whaler and explore the chain of cays of Abaco's eastern shore: Greet Turtle Cay, Great Guana Cay, Hopetown, etc. Snorkeling equipment on board to snorkel patch reefs all along the way would give you some adventure, and you could hit each cay and have a few Kahlik beers and eats to relax. Robert