Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Harbour Island- in town or not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/harbour-island-in-town-or-not-696856/)

rookie626 Apr 14th, 2007 02:39 PM

Harbour Island- in town or not?

We are planning our 1st visit w/ 2 kids, 12 and 15. We immediately assumed we'd prefer staying in a quiet spot away from town. Are we missing out on something? We're thinking of a place off Nesitt in the north that has a dock. We thought the kids would enjoy our own motor boat to mess around in.

I know that town will be charming and fun to explore, whether walking or carting. Would it take so long to travel in that we'd find it tedious?

Sorry to sound ultra private, but I don't know what kind of feeling you would get if renting in town Any comments?

Thanks for your help!

travelbuff Apr 14th, 2007 04:21 PM

It kind of depends on when you are planning on going. The island is only 3 miles long so it can't take all that long to get downtown, but if it is during the summer, it will feel like a long time.

Also sounds like you are on the bay side of the island, and there is probably no beach there, which the kids might miss.

If you were to stay a bit closer to town the kids would probably have the opportunity to meet other kids to hang around with.

There are a few shops "downtown", lol, (I say that with a big smile, it is very small) a few restaurants, a pizza shop, the Harbour Island Mall, lol, with an ice cream shop, and some lovely gift stores.

Also your kids would probably enjoy a snorkle trip with Valentine's or Fox Dive, there are some amazing snorkle and dive spots just offshore.

If you are closer to downtown you can give the kids the option of running around a bit by themselves. The island is very safe.

Hope this helps.

ccrosner Apr 15th, 2007 05:47 PM

Like the previous poster, I'm giggling a bit as Harbour Island is SO small that I don't think there is such a thing as being "away from town". We stayed at Coral Sands (which is on the ocean mid-way on the island) and literally walked almost the entire island. Never bothered to rent a golf cart. Went from the northern tip to as far south as the marina (can't remember the name). So I think you should just pick the best place to stay and not worry about distance.

Michaelpl Apr 16th, 2007 04:08 AM

To be honest the very short walk to and fro the beach may prove to be a good thing for the kids. As HI is only a 1/2 mile wide you're never more than a short jaunt from once side to the other. Like the above poster says, just pick the best accomodations for you beach or not and you'll be fine.

rookie626 Apr 19th, 2007 07:25 PM

Thanks, all, for your replies! We are booking this house on the bay b/c it has a small beach adjacent to it's dock. It'll be nice for sunsets and kayaking. The ocean is just a few minutes walk the other way. Or so I hear...

I think we're doing the right thing for us. We are thinking we'll spend time exploring the town at lunch time to get out of the sun. Otherwise, we're happy out on our own.

I appreciate the reminder to put the island's size into my thoughts. I forget it's so small when I'm staring at a map!

Travelbuff, I'm sure to be asking for some tips later!

Thanks again!