Harbour Island, Abacos Island or St. John for family of four

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM
bythesea

Hi everyone,

I am investigating a trip for our family of four: mom, dad, son and daughter (will be 15 and 10 respectively) for summer 2005, preferably the last week of June. It will be a budget-minded trip. The closest airports are Washington, DC or Norfolk, Va. The kids love the water, especially boogie-boarding as well as nature (horseback riding is a love of my daughter's). We don't have to have a kids camp atmosphere, but some things to do besides just lying on the beach would be nice for them. (I could just lie on the beach all day! I have been looking at St. John, St. Barths (seems too expensive in accommodations) and have recently stumbled on Harbour Island and/or Abacos Island in the Bahamas. My questions are:

1. Which of these do you feel would be best given the kids' ages and interests?

2. Which is the best in terms of budget? I am looking at having a budget of appox. $4000-4500 to cover accommodations, air and car rental (if needed) From the East Coast, what am I looking at in terms of airfare costs?

3. I have searched and found many good rental ideas for St. John's and a couple for St. Barths. What about Harbour ISland or Abacos Island? Has anyone great reviews for a villa/home there?

Sorry for all of the questions! I really appreciate your help! Take care.

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi bythesea! Having been to all three, here's my thoughts:

1. For your kids, either Abaco or St. John. St. John has incredible beaches and water - you will kayak, swim and snorkel every day. On Abaco (particularly Elbow Cay) most people rent a boat and fishing and snorkeling becomes the center of the vacation. Abaco has some great out-island villages, as does HI, but HI is much smaller. I think my kids would be bored there compared to the other two.

2. Budget is a tossup: airfare is cheaper to the Bahamas, however villa rental on HI is more expensive, fewer choices; on Abaco you'd have about $1000 added on if you rented a boat for the week (your kids would absolutely LOVE this and not much boating experience needed). St John airfare would be about $500 pp compared to $350 pp Bahamas, but you would still need to rent a car (not necessary if you had a boat on Abaco or golfcart on HI).

Here's the villa we rented on Elbow Cay. http://www.abacovacations.com/elbow/...hp?property=21

Although we loved this villa, with kids I'd stay closer to Hopetown so you don't have the 30 minute golfcart ride into town for dinner (you can't take the boat out after dark). There was another home, oceanfront with pool and closer to the village, for the same price, which would be more interesting for kids. (we wanted a dock instead) I'll find it for you if you're interested.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:18 AM
bythesea

Thanks Joan for your help. I am leaning toward the Bahamas due to the cost of airfare. I think we could get less expensive tickets there than to the USVI. Abacos Island sounds like a great fit for us. Do you know if there was a lot of hurricane damage? I would like to get the address of the other property you looked at if you have time. Thanks so much for taking time to reply.

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:20 AM
bythesea

Sorry I keep typing Abacos- I will drop the "s" from here on out!

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Abaco took the brunt of Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne, but by the time you arrive there next June, you'll hardly know it -- especially if you've never been there before. Abaco receives more hurricane hits than any other island in the Atlantic/Caribbean basin, so (sadly) they are well-used to cleaning up. But, they do it quickly, and some might argue that they come back better every time.

As for pricing, you can expect airfare to Marsh Harbour to be $500 if you go on one of the majors (e.g. American Airlines from DC to Miami to MHH) -- but you do arrive before lunchtime. If you want to save a few $$$$, you can probably fly Southwest out of Baltimore to FLL, and take a charter or commuter flight from there. I've always gone with AA or USAirways from BWI myself.

I took a quick look at Seaspray Resort on Elbow Cay (www.seasprayresort.com), and you can stay in a 2 bedroom/2 bath cottage for under $2000. Seaspray is on the middle of Elbow Cay, with both ocean and Sea of Abaco frontage, and walking distance to stunning Tahiti Beach at the south end of the cay. Hopetown, however, is a golf cart or rental boat ride away. Most accomodations will be similarly priced -- visit www.coconuttelgraph.net to get information on villas and hotels.

Should you decide on Abaco, I would suggest you stay on one of the cays and not Great Abaco itself. Elbow Cay and Great Guana Cay are centrally-located, and you're likely to find other families with kids. Green Turtle Cay is also charming, but a little less accessible.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:48 PM

We’ve been to St. John and the Abacos. Both would make good choices with kids. House/villa rental would be comparable especially since you would be traveling to St. John during the off season. While we stayed on Lubbers Quarters in the Abacos, I would recommend either Elbow or Great Guana Cay for someone with kids. There is some surf off each one. Also there is surf off north Eleuthera although not Harbour Island. Eleuthera itself would be worth considering. St. John offers great shore snorkeling but no surf.

Our flights to the Abacos and St. Thomas ( ferry to St. John ) from BWI were about equal. Flying to the Abacos we’ve used Southwest to either West palm or Fort Lauderdale and connected from there. The cost is usually driven by the lowest price that we can get on Southwest. Those Southwest seats go fast. Flights to St. Thomas were recently as low as $330 from BWI.

On St. John you would need a ‘jeep’ for about $420 a week. On the Abacos you will need a golf cart with the option of a boat. The boat would drive the price up but would add a whole new dimension to your vacation.

The Abaco site that Callaloo mentioned (http://coconuttelegraph.net/) is absolutely the best source for information. A Goggle search on any of the cays should bring up a decent list of houses.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Bythesea, I looked at my bookmarks, and here are some properties within this price range ($2000-$2600/week)

Here is the pool home I mentioned, although unfortunately they must have raised the price, because now it's alot more than Bali Hai Cottage. It's called Sea Lavender:
http://www.a1vacations.com/sealavender/1/

Another pool home, also check out this realtor's main site, they have lots of offerings:
http://www.elbowcayrentals.com/photos/palmettocrest/

Another one, without pool, great oceanfront location, a little less $:
http://www.abacovacations.com/elbow/...hp?property=38

And here's another one, originally our first choice, I just liked the look of this one. But it was booked, located at the north end of Elbow, Fran's Fancy:
http://www.a1vacations.com/abaco/1/#RateDetails

A couple other thoughts: if you do go, and you rent a boat, you must print out Dr. Ralph's excellent novice boater tips from the Coconut Telegraph website mentioned by Callaloo and RobertoB. Also, we paid the realtor $25 to make our golfcart, villa, and boat rental arrangements. It was well worth it, because when the island gets crowded the golfcarts and boats get snapped up fast, so the realtors have an "in". The fee also included an invaluable copy of Dodge's Cruising Guide to the Abacos, a must have book to show you all the great spots/maps.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 01:35 PM
bythesea

Thanks so far everyone. I have been online and on the phone looking and have narrowed it down to the Abacos or St. John I think. I guess it is going to come down to which one would be less expensive with the airfare. I am trying to keep expenses down as much as possible and was thinking that the flights from BWI, WAS, RIC or ORF (NorfolK) would be cheaper to the Bahamas but after reading some of your posts, I may be wrong. Has anyone found rates for under $400 in June to either of those places? I contacted CVOA through one of the rental agencies and she quoted me 576 PP today to St. John. That is more than we can afford. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Low airfares to the Bahamas are mostly to Nassau and Grand Bahama Island. The Out Islands are not the easiest to get to but well worth the effort. Go to the Abaco Board that Callaloo and I mentioned and read the thread ' Which Airline'. This is a good starting point. An option is to fly to Orlando and use Vintage Jets and Props ( http://www.vpj.com/ ) to fly to Marsh Harbour.

You can probably fly to St. Thomas for $400 pp. Just need to watch airfares and buy when you see that rate.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:21 AM

Roberto's right...and try not to connect through Miami. Airport is YUCK! FLL (Ft Lauderdale) or PBI (West Palm Beach) are much better, easier.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:45 AM

By all means, fly to St Thomas and ferry to St John! Last time I visited the out islands (Eleuthera) the flight was 3 hours late and no explanations. Flying to STT from Atlanta is a piece of cake1