Harbor Island end of July

Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Steph

Harbor Island end of July

Tweedy? Have you left yet for HI? I know you were going in July sometime. We leave soon, and I'd love to meet you if you'll be there same time. You can e-mail me directly. I'm the one who told you I've read your posts about HI with great interest thru the years. You mentioned in a post to someone recently about how you visit the day care there. I would like to take my children there to meet the children of the island. Is there anything we could birng them that they would really like, need? Like books, games, or any toys? Would have to be small things of course since we're trying to travel light.

Hope you get this.

Thanks, Steph

Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:36 PM
tweedy

Funny, I was thinking of you today and wondered if you had left yet, lol. Great minds think alike. lol.

Paul and I are going in August, I have a couple of work trips to do the next couple of weeks so we had to put the trip off to next month.

Oh yes PLEASE visit the day care center. It is run by the Anglican Church and is right behind the Methodist church, just a couple of blocks or so away from Coral Sands and a block away from "downtown".

Your visit will be most welcome. You can also stop in at the Library and certainly if you have any books you can donate to the Day Care Center, or any toys, whatever you have they will love having. It is hard to get books to the island and expensive, so I usually bring some as well. I think the Day Nursery is open part of the summer, but if not, ask at the Browser, (that's the Briland Browser) how to get anything to the Day Care Center.

When you get on island, ask for Reggie, he's the best cab driver and knows so much about the island, he can give you a tour on your way to Coral Sands.

If you want a sitter while you are there, find Iris at the Hair Salon and ask for a good recommendation and tell her you know me.

Take the kids to Tingum Village for a burger and to Arthur's for lunch and to Angela's for conch burgers.

I know you are going to have a wonderful time, Harbour Island is a real jewel.

Let me know all about your trip and tell everyone there I send love.

tweedy

Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Steph

Tweedy, thanks for your great prompt reply. When will you be there in August? Our trip runs into August. Thank you for the information about the day care needs. I think we'll bring some books.

Can't wait to visit your beloved island!

Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
tweedy

We won't be able to get down until the end of August. I have a couple of trips to Atlanta and N. Virginia to take before then, for work, so vacation is going to have to wait a bit.

If you do have the time to stop by the Day Care Center, the kids love new games and songs.

Your kids will love Coral Sands by the way. There are usually quite a few families staying there, so they should have some friends to play with.

You might rent a cart for a day or two to take a really good tour of the island, from top to bottom, it's only 3 miles and only half a mile wide.

There's the Pigly Wigly and Johnson's for snacks and soda for your room. The Junkanoo Punch the kids will really like. Also Arthur's makes great bread, try the coconut. I get one of those in the early am and with some fruit and soda that's lunch.

Also you can do a day at a deserted island, ask Reggie to set it up for you or Coral Sands can do it as well. You take a picnic and head down to the dock and ask a water taxi to take you out to an island and arrange to be picked up later in the day. There are lots of smaller cays just off shore and if the kids are into snorkling it is a great way to see everything since the water is shallow quite a ways out, but since there isn't much noise or traffic the fish come pretty close to shore.

Ocean Fox and Valentine's run snorkle trips daily, but bring your own snorkle gear if you have it, that way you know it fits well.

Guess that's about it.

Have a GREAT time and can't wait to hear what you think of the island.

tweedy

Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
scubagirl

Tweedy,
Jay and I will be there for Labor Day, will you still be around? We're in So. Caicos at the moment, but have to head back to Nassau this week, then Cat Island for Regatta (August Monday). We had planned to see some friends on N. Eleuthera for labor day. If you're still there, email me some details.. I'd love to see ya.
Scubagirl (michele)

Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:41 PM
Steph

Tweedy, thanks again for all the great information!!! The kids have been practicing snorkeling in the pool, and are very excited, but I think I'm more excited for them to snorkel than they are!!

I'll write when we get back.

Stephanie

Jul 24th, 2002, 12:15 PM
tweedy

Michelle,

Not sure when we are headed down just yet. It will also depend on when Runaway closes for the season. We also have been toying with the idea of going down for the HI Regatta in October. I sure need some beach. Just not quite the same here in NYC. Going to Jones Beach, I look and say nice but it's not Harbour Island. lol.

I will let you know as soon as we have a better idea of our plans.

tweedy

Jul 24th, 2002, 01:34 PM
scubagirl

Cool, tweedy, keep in touch. Jay and I have been going to most of the regatta's these past 2 years. We just might end up in HI in October. Would be funny for us to meet 1100 miles from home, when we live so close to each other. Jones Beach... haven't been there in years.