Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Hairbrained scheme: making the most of Club Med, T & C! Help!

Apr 24th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
I would love some advice. My sister and I are planning a trip to Providenciales in May, but have found many of the beautiful hotels, condos, and villas to be beyond our limited price range. So, we've come up with a hairbrained scheme: we'll stay at Club Med (for only $749 per person for 7 nights) but spend most of our time (and many meals) away from the summer camp "campus." Do you think this is a good option? Or would we do better just to stay in the Comfort Suites? We're most interested in snorkeling. Would we have to walk far from Club Med to reach the best Grace Bay spots? Is it feasible to walk to good restaurants from Club Med? We certainly don't want to be stuck there!
Many thanks in advance for your help!!!
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM

I just did a quick check on Expedia and popped in 5/14 thru 5/21 and found these rates:
Ocean Club studio deluxe-$160/nt
Sands-$214
Royal West Indies 1 br botanical-$192

Looks like you could find comparable rates to Club Med and still stay on the beach. There is a 20% tax on the rooms in Provo. This is off season so Club Med may not be that busy--you could ask for a quiet building.
We will also be there in May.
We have 4 adults and I couldn't find any lodging under $400/nt on the beach. I even called a few resorts directly and asked if they would offer 1 nt. free. Didn't have luck so we are renting a cottage. Short walk to the beach--we'll see how it works out.
Apr 25th, 2005, 04:12 AM

When we were there in November, we stayed right next door at RWI. We walked by Club Med almost every day, and I have to say it was pretty relaxed....and ALL adults. I've heard that the rooms need updating, but it seemed more laid back than I would have expected for Club Med. The beach in front is also very spread out.

You could probably walk to Anacaona and Coco Bistro from Club Med....others are an easy cab ride away.

If it were me, I would prefer to stay right on the beach vs. COmfort Suites.
Apr 25th, 2005, 04:23 AM
cdt

Also look at Sibonne - usually lowest beachfront rates.

I can't imagine that it would be cheaper to stay at Club Med and buy meals elsewhere.

We found an off-season rate of $140/night at Ocean Club West last year, with a kitchenette.
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Re: snorkeling - Club Med is quite a LONG walk from the best off-the-shore snorkeling - in front of Coral Gardens resort. Another poster mentioned Sibonne personally I would pick Sibonne over Club Med (it's probably as cheap and it's MUCH closer to the snorkeling)
Apr 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM

I stayed at Sibonne a few weeks ago and its a nice place, especially considering how inexpensive it is. You should definitely check it out.
Apr 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Sibonne would be a great choice, if she can get a room, only 28 or 29 rooms, and she wants to go in May.
Apr 26th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Just a thought but maybe you will have fun at Club Med. Friends who are very seasoned, sophisticated travelers were given a trip to an island Club Med (not sure which one). On the second day of their visit they decided to dump their "airs" and had the best time ever. They have taken Club Med vacations a number of times since.