Gyms in the Caribbean

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gyms in the Caribbean

Does anyone know which resorts have good gyms in the caribbean? Looking for luxury, romantic resort but my husband is obsessed with going to the gym so I need to find somewhere that has a decent one!

Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Most high end resorts I have seen in the Caribbean, especially those with a spa, have a very nice health club facilities. I would begin looking at the a few resorts that interest you and then check out their health club areas and see who offers the specific machines or activities he prefers. Plus some may include that in their price and some may be extra, double check that also.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM

We have stayed at Caneel Bay, Peter Island, Cuisinart, La Semanna, Fairmont Royal Pavillion (Barbados), & the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas. Of these resorts, only La Semanna had a reasonably decent gym in that the equipment was relatively new and relatively well maintained. In terms of what you find at the gyms at the resorts I mentioned are typically average quality treadmills, a set of dumbell free weights, maybe barbells, and maybe exercise balls, etc... if you are lucky.

I have not stayed at any of the resorts, buy I would think your best bet might be to try major resort hotel operations like the Hyatt on Grand Cayman, the Four Seasons on Nevis, etc...

Good luck.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Swept Away in Negril has a great sports complex. SA is also very romantic. There is a separate pool near the sports complex and another hot tub and a nice sports bar. When I was there, they had some fun classes that incorporated reggae music into the routine. They also have great tennis courts. There is a spa to keep you busy while he works out. Here are some details. http://www.couples.com/12sw/27spaSW.htm
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM

I second the vote for Swept Away's gym - it's outdoors under a huge thatched roof and has a great variety of equipment. Plus there are racquetball & squash courts, yoga, and all kind of classes and personal trainers at your disposal, all part of the all-inclusive package.

During hurricane season we go to Aruba, and the Aruba Grand has a spiffy new gym, smaller than Swept Away's but still sufficient for a good workout of all body parts!