Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Guana Island/FireFly Mustique/Petite St Vincent/Cotton House Mustique

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I think we have narrowed our choices to these four (Jade Mountain would be ideal, but it's just too much). We would appreciate any feedback from the group. This site helped us find our two favorite vacations, The Caves and Hermitage Bay. As you can see from those choices, we like small resorts, beautiful views, seclusion and the low-key Caribbean vibe. Thanks for the info, good and bad.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM

I really like Petit St. Vincent. I was there last year, but it doesn't offer the kind of luxury that you get at the other resorts, though it's special. There's no a/c, though that's not really an issue there because the tradewinds are pretty constant. But the resort really does give you everything you are looking for.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Of the places you're considering, I've only been to Guana, but if the other places sound equally appealing to you, along with Jade Mountain, I'd suggest that you skip Guana and PSV, which is most like it of the places you're considering. There, the emphases are more on natural surroundings, local architecture, natural beauty, privacy, and self-reliance. You may be disappointed with the rusticities of Guana and PSV if you are drawn to the more straightforward luxuries of the other resorts.

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

We done both the rustic resorts and more luxurious resorts -- loved both types. Which is way we haven't decided which way to go this time. I actually think we are leaning towards Petit at the moment. Although she did ask about Ti Kaye in St Lucia last night as well. Has anyone been there?
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Have you considered Peter Island?
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

We looked at Peter Island, but decided against it (don't remember why at the moment)...
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me about the food at Petit St Vincent? I think that is the way we are leaning at this point. The only thing I've read mixed reviews on abotu PSV was the food. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM

When I was there last Fall, I found the food to be really quite good. One night there was a barbecue (chicken, steak, fish); the meat was really good and tender (much better than I've had a most upscale Caribbean resorts); the duck was equally good.

PSV grows most of its own lettuces and some tomatoes and other vegetables; produces most of its own eggs. I found the produce to be really good and the eggs especially good.

Yogurt was inconsistently available (but imported from nearby Union Island); most of the milk seemed to be UHT milk, which is not a favorite, though something I usually buy at home. I did find that they would run out of certain grocery items (granola was gone after 2 days), but it's so hard to plan deliveries in such a distant location that I can hardly blame them for that. But when something's gone, it can be gone for a while.

I had also read the mixed reviews of the food, and I must say that I found absolutely nothing to be critical of food-wise.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM

I have been to Cotton House and PSV. As it turns out I avoid non-A/b places and both do not have A/C but you really do bot need it at PSV if you have a villa ON the neach vs. on the hill and you avoid June-Sept. Doug S. has been there more recently than we have but in our 3 trips, with the last one in 2005, the food was only average and prior visits were just a bit better. It is based on the Chef they have that year at any of the boutique resorts, really. We like PSV though the owner Haze Richardson can be a bit haughty but we saw him mellow over the years.
Peter Island has very good food, maybe 1-2 many buffets, based on 2 visits and is a bit more social than PSV just because it has more guests and has a sense of elegance not found at PSV but PSV has a sense of privacy not available at PSV. The Cotton House was old world elegant but it just "missed" for us based on 1 visit.We never visited Guana or Firefly because of the very limited snorkeling which we enjoy.
PSV is 20 minutes away from maybe one of the few remaining top snorkel spots, Tobago Caye, but it is worth 2 trips that will thrill you but other snorkeling in the area is not very good.
I hope all this helps.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Stankase,

Cotton House does have AC!!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Sadly, Haze Richardson died earlier this year. His wife has taken over direct management of the resort (the resort also has a new professional manager who started last fall). I'm not sure if this will mean changes or not.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the feedback. We have decided on PSV for late January. You have all been great help again!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks for info on Haze Richardson. The Cotton House unfortunately for us did not have A/C when we were there in 2002-2003. That adds a plus but still I think dfio might like PSV. But as I said I have not been to Guana or Firefly.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Doug/Stsn, Do you have any suggestions on cottages. Beach vs hill? We are big sunset people so can you reuqest west facing? Anything else you think we should know?