Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Guana Island - Beaches and Snorkeling (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/guana-island-beaches-and-snorkeling-707618/)

GerdaFaust May 24th, 2007 03:49 AM

Guana Island - Beaches and Snorkeling

I'm trying to get a feel for what the beaches and off-beach snorkeling are like on Guana Island. We'll be on Anegada for part of our vacation next winter, and I'd like to add a week or so at a nice resort in the BVI.

We vacationed at Biras Creek this past winter and loved it... just looking for something a little different. We are very capable and content to keep ourselves busy without a lot of organized activity. Guana looks good because of its isolated feel, and the emphasis on the natural world.

beachplum May 24th, 2007 10:46 AM

The main beach, White Bay, has several reefs that are good for snorkeling and the other 6 beaches are scattered around the island. For ultimate privacy check North Beach Cottage with the golf cart included.

ejcrowe May 25th, 2007 06:28 AM

You've summed up Guana pretty well when noting its isolated feel and emphasis on nature. It does not and cannot compare to the relative luxury of Biras Creek. You should also be aware that there is no a/c in the rooms at Guana. That being said, I honeymooned there in 2003 and just fell in love with it. The rooms have walls so thick that even during the heat of the day they retain a hint of coolness. And during the evenings sleeping under the ceiling fans, I actually got chilly enough to pull up the bedspread on the bed.

I enjoyed the snorkeling off White Bay and saw lots of turtles, fish, and some of those beautiful moon jellies. We also opted for a castaway picnic on a deserted beach. White Bay is a medium-length crescent of nearly-white sand and the other beach we visited was small, but just right for two people.

We got a good deal on Guana during their summer rates and I was pleased with the value. However, if I had to pay high season rates, I might question why they're so high--seclusion comes at a price there.

astein12 May 27th, 2007 02:56 PM

Just back from Guana Island (returned yesterday).

The main beach (White Bay) is great. Nice beach, plenty of room and privacy(especially given the limited number of guests that can stay on the island) and nice snorkeling (5 fingers of coral with tons of variety of fish, a few small sharks, giant tarpon, sea turtles, giant eagle rays and more).

In addition, there are a number of other beaches (reachable by hiking, kayak or boat) and a number of other bays and reefs (reachable in similar manners).

Only concern for some people is that the hikes to many of the beachs and snorkeling areas is pretty strenous. So, if you're not up for that, be prepared to paddle a kayak or hire a boat.

Overall, the resort is awesome. Highly recommended. Definitely not a polished chrome, float up bar at the pool, drunken stupor, parasailing type of all inclusive. Just a great location with excellent service, great food, and nice people.

GerdaFaust Jul 30th, 2007 07:13 PM

Trip finalized: We have booked Guana Island + Anegada (Anegada Reef Hotel) + Sugar Mill on Tortola for two weeks in February!

AKNIC Jul 31st, 2007 07:02 PM

GerdaFaust:

You might consider renting a golf cart while on Guana Island. They are a great way to get around the island.
Also, take lots of good bug spray with you. The bugs in the evening are sometimes unbelievable!
Hope you have a great trip.
AKNIC

ejcrowe Jul 31st, 2007 07:10 PM

Sounds like a great trip you've got planned!

I'd love to revisit Guana one day. Maybe for a special anniversary we can go back and do it.

AKNIC, how long have they been renting golf carts on Guana? They didn't have them when I was there in 2003, but then again at that time only the North Cottage had any real need of one.

LilRicky Nov 5th, 2007 09:38 AM

Guana is amazing, from what I've heard.

LilRicky Jan 6th, 2008 06:56 PM

Just to follow-up, I'd love to see a trip report when you return!