Reload this Page >

Guadeloupe - Le Meridien LaCocoteraie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nina, thanks for some great information. I also want to apologize if it seemed my no hostel comment was in reference to your post. I started mine before I read yours. I have the money so I don't need to save by staying in hostels. If there is a good reason to do so besides saving money, it's not out of the question.

Your comment on the NYC subway made me smile. Had quite the adventure over New Years 2003 on the subway.

Tallulah, I don't want to get out of bed early every morning, no. I hadn't thought of that. I'm assuming there are coffee shops like here in the states where I could nurse a hangover, with coffee and people watching. I may need to learn to drink Guiness warm. Cold, it's addicting.

Thanks again everyone!!

Good for you! Terrific! The trip away may prove very restorative...

(I am one of those who like to travel by myself.)

I have done a couple of solo trips to Great Britain, generally only a day or two in London as my interest is taking the train allowing for meeting locals, seeing different locations and ever changing countryside. Think of one day trip out of London. You can purchase a "cheap day return" ticket on the morning of departure. If you are staying only in London check out a studio apartment for a week. Be sure to purchase a tube pass and get to know the system for ease of getting around.

Sounds like you'll be fine without any hand-holding. As an alternative to a hop-on/off bus tour, check out

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34535187

Unlimited bus transport is also included in the TfL Day Travelcards and (weekly) Travelcard Season Tickets.

April or May is fine. The daffies bloom around the end of March, presaging the (welcome) arrival of spring.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention a hotel recommendation. You can search under my name for posts regarding London hotels. But one in particular I might suggest (moderate budget) is the Holiday Inn - Oxford Circus. It's NorthWest of Oxford Circus (very central) - a good location for tube connections, walking to theatre, West End nightlife, Piccadilly Circus, Regent's Park, Hyde Park etc (it's less convenient for South Kensington museums etc). It's nothing fancy, but it's a decent hotel and reasonably priced (by London standards).
Original Poster

Robespierre, thank you for more great information. I'll take a look around the BritRail site.

It's funny that you should mention a Paris day trip. I had been kicking around that very idea. I could leave early from London, have lunch and wander a bit in Paris and then be back for dinner. It could give me a taste of Paris for a later trip when I have more time.

<rant>I see the post that was eaten last night but only on the compose page. So if this looks like a duplicate it isn't really.</rant>

Elaine, I'll look for the book you mention. Thanks!

Kate, I am leaning toward the middle to end of April. Maybe 19/20 - 29th. Thanks for the heads up though, I hadn't thought to check on things like holidays.

Before you book flights, make sure that you find out when the UK's "Bank Holiday Weekends" are scheduled for in May. (That's what they call long weekends in the UK. I think there are two scheduled for May - 2 May and 30 May this year.) You probably won't want to be in London on those weekends, because everyone in the UK will be travelling at the same time - and these are often weekends that unions pick for actual (or threatened) strike action. Hotels might be more expensive. You also probably won't want to be in London on May 1, unless you're really interested in getting caught up in an anti-globalization type protest march that sometimes gets violent (and, at a minimum, is likely to involve a lot of central London shops, restaurants and attractions closing up early). May 1 is a kind of "Labour Day" in Europe that doesn't serve as a holiday but has become a common day for left-leaning protests. It's actually a very interesting spectacle to watch - but probably not ideal date to schedule one's short holiday to London around (very bad grammar, I know but it's early in the morning).

Hi
I have found the Steinbicker book "Daytrips London", one of his series of Daytrip books, to be very helpful.
He offers transportation info, walking itineraries, and even small maps of each town center.

Nothing, really - the area around Gare du Nord is busy and on the sort of seedy side. But from there you can get anywhere by metro or taxi.
Original Poster

Just out of curiousity does anyone know what's near the Gare du Nord train station in Paris? It's apperently the EuroStar terminus in Paris. Could be wrong.

If for the fun of it I made a trip from London to Paris, to overnight, what would be close to the train station? Any good hotels, food, things to do? Something to do for one day?

Not sure I want to do it but thinking about it. Need to break out the French lessons.

Thanks!
britomart

Don't go on a tour. Travelling in London on your own is cake. Especially if you're a guy.

I went on several day-long excursions with the London Walks company to Bath, Canterbury, Leeds Castle, the Cotswolds and Oxford. I highly recommend this company. It is also a great way to meet fellow travellers (I met a few Kiwis who invited me to stay with them if I'm ever in NZ). Going with London Walks makes everything so easy for you as they take care of all the travel arrangements. It's also ideal if you're planning a short trip to London as you can make London your home base.

don't worry about what is right near gare du nord. paris is very easy to get around by metro (buy a card or a carnet of 10 tickets - discount). if you are light on your feet, you can actually WALK from gare du nord to many great areas in paris.

my favourite is the 11th arr. i work near there when in paris so maybe i'm biased - the area from bastille/marais/republic up to oberkamf. i am often alone here - dining, exploring, etc and i enjoy it greatly.

i don't recommend a day trip to paris from london (even though many people here may recommend it). take at least 1 or even better 2 nights. you will be in transit/waiting for at least 8 hours for the round trip...it is well worth it if you spend some time there but a waste for just one day IMO.

janis, I sure agree with you about not taking a nap when arriving in Europe but instead walking around in the fresh air. The one time I did take a nap, for one hour that last for at least four hours I was awake half of the night and felt even worse the next day. Sure learned my lesson on that one.

imaukpanda, there is a great thread about duty free stores. If you can not pull it up it is because Fodors does seem to have some glitches today.
Keep trying.

Janis, oh good grief, I am sorry! #-o
but to tell you the truth that happened to my dear daughter last night too. It was her birthday, which I why I was not in Yountville. We had wine etc. and all of a sudden she got the hiccups also. But they only lasted a minute or two. And than she continued with the wine.

I think the problem is me.!!!! LOL

Original Poster

I've looked around for some information about traveling solo to London. My first trip to Europe. For some reason I'm a bit anxious. Not for any reason but that I'll be alone on my first trip.

I thought I might try a tour, but reading around it seems like maybe going solo would be OK. I'm open to advice either way on that.

I'm a single, late thirties, male looking for a tour for similar people. If I decide on a tour. Finding this has been time consuming as I haven't found many tours specifically for people like me.

With a tour or on my own, I like museums, plays, food, wine, music(especially jazz), might even try to catch a rugby or soccer game. A couple nights for pub crawls are a must. I'm planning on 7-10 days, possibly in April or May of 2005. Unless the weather would be better another time. I don't want to do too much touristy stuff. I want to get to know the London locals know.

Ultimately, I'm planning to return for a longer trip including Paris and Rome, but wanted to take an easy trip the first time just to get my feet wet and get my bearings. That's why I thought about a tour, but now I'm not as convinced.

I'm curious about what people feel about going it alone. If a tour is a good idea, what are good tour companies for this kind of thing. If I go solo I'm confident I'll find things to do, but will even take recommendations there.

If you need more information please ask. I'm in Denver if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 01:23 PM
Mike C

Why is there so little available about Guadeloupe? And, exactly how is it pronounced anyway? I have an opportunity to stay at Le Meridien - La Cocoteraie in St. Francois and would like some real feedback on the city, resort, language issues, people, crime, cost of entertainment & food, and beaches. Please help!