Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grotto Bay hotel or Fairmont Southampton??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a last minute trip to Bermuda for approx 10 nights some time during the first half of August. We have two young children (age 2 and 5). It looks like what is available is Grape Bay Beach Hotel, Grotto Bay Beach Hotel, Fairmont Southampton and the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. It looks like Grotto Bay and Fairmont Southampton would have the best locations but we have never been to Bermuda so have no idea really. We would like to have easy access to nice beach(es) and other conveniences but do not need luxury. We would love it if we could have a suite or ajoining rooms for the kids but it doesn't look possible so maybe one with the most spacious rooms...
Does anyone have an idea of which of the above hotels would best suit a young family looking to have a relaxing vacation after a stressful year?
Many thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM

I would prefer the Fairmont Southhampton. They have a beautiful beach (no shortage of those in Bermuda), tennis and golf on site. Have a wonderful trip, Bermuda is another world.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we have now decided against going to Bermuda. It is the easiest destination from Boston but all the talk of crime and the fact that the prices are outrageous and suites are rare and cost a fortune - we are looking into a different locale now. Appreciate it
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM

although i love the fairmount southampton having honeymooned there 26 years ago, returned with my toddlers, and last year returned with my two daughters, i must say it isnt what it used to be. unless you stay on the sixth floor with the concierge, it looks like service goes right out the window....plus it will cost you a small fortune to vacation there with your children. believe me ive done it...as much as i love bermuda, it is not costworthy to take children there. ive returned many times, but his year we chose to go to antigua to the carlisle bay resort without the kids but from what i read, they also cater to families....set right upon the beach which is what i prefer, it looks and sounds very very elegent.

another recommendation after reading these posts for hours is in st. thomas, the u.s. virgin islands. the resort is called secret harbour beach resort and i am seriously looking into it for next year with my older children.

last year we took my two teens to the one and only ocean club in the bahamas for two weeks and it was very very pricey, but worth it...truly beautiful...but with your kids so young, i would wait until they are older to "splurge" with them.

i like luxury when i travel, i like the beach very close by and i generally read alot before booking anything. secret harbour looks clean, enables you to give your young ones breakfast and lunch if you prefer in your room, which is a plus when they are that young, with a full service resort at your fingertips. again, i have never been there but you may want to give it a look. www.tripadvisor.com gives a more detailed description under hotels...

hope this helps.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM

What talk of crime? I feel a thousand times safer in Bermuda than I ever do here in Boston!

My husband and I put off a trip to Bermuda for way too long (it was too close and it seemed there were always too many other places to try) and now that we've tried it we can't stay away - don't know what you've heard, but Bermuda is definitely worth a visit!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM

i agree that bermuda is a very safe place to vacation, although some of the posts can lead you to believe this is untrue. i took my girls to the southampton princess for a week last august and we never ever felt unsafe. we took taxi's all over the island in the evening and were very comfortable and safe.

it is very costly to travel with children to bermuda, even with toddlers who do not eat much ! my husband and i always preferred to have our own bedroom and this is a difficult thing on the island of bermuda as far as luxury hotels go....we paid for it dearly when we had to book two adjoining rooms when our kids were younger...but it was worth it.

if you live on the east coast, there is no easier destination than bermuda, truly a one of a kind magical place.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Starmom, I am really shocked that you would decide against Bermuda because of crime. I have always felt very safe there even though I travel alone. To what information do you refer?
There are plenty of great places to stay which don't cost an arm or a leg, so give me a budget range and let's see if I can suggest a property which might work for you.
Bermuda is another world.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I too am shocked by the crime reports. I know that crimes have happened more often there in the recent years, but it is so much safer than many islands. I have never felt unsafe in Bermuda. I have ridden the buses with baby carraiges (an easy target). I have never felt that anything but paradise there. The food is wonderful and the island itself is just the best. It is expensive. I have never been to Grotto, but the Southhampton Princess would be the way to go. I like the Reefs and they have a meal plan. We brought our kids there although it is mostly an adult resort, they welcome the children.
Crime would NEVER be a factor to avoid Bermuda. Expensive I can see.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

I would be interested in hearing about affordable places to stay but they would have to be safe, not out of the way. I think one of the more disturbing aspects of the crime reports is the lack of police response. We really want to have a relaxing vacation without stress. Hurricane/weather, crime, high prics, difficult beach access - those things just don't make for a relaxing vaca. Pre kids requirements were different. We are still seeking a vacation spot but sadly it looks like we may be out of luck at this late date. Any suggestions would be most welcome tho...first three weeks in August.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Starmom, here are some lower priced options:
www.bermudagetaway.com
www.bermudarentals.com

They offer an excellent selection of apartments and houses to rent. Take some of your groceries (cereal, etc) and stock up with the rest on your arrival.

Marley Beach cottages is a very spartan, basic cottage colony with a mind blowing view and a small private beach. Munro Beach is similar. Astwood Cove is across the street from Marley which might be less appealing with children. If you go to www.bermudatourism.com there is a listing of nearly every property on the island with a price schedule. Pick a couple which look appealing and vet them here. There are several regular Bermuda visitors who post here and I think you can get some good feedback.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

cmcfong, thank you. I did look at all the properties in the cottage/suite category and found only two available. Both were expensive. One was Grape Bay hotel which gets very mixed reviews at trip advisor.
I also looked at the handy calendar over on bermudagetaway. I found a very few rentals available for August. Most made it clear it was couples only but a few seemed like they might accomodate us. None had the 10 or so days we want but between two or three places we could fill 10 days probably.
We still have to think over whether Bermuda is right for us.
Thank you for your help.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Starmom, I would not recommend Grape Bay. If nothing else works consider Bermuda for a trip next year.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:25 PM

crime reports in Bermuda?
starmom, I had to cancel plans for Bermuda this year...and I'm soooo bummed!!
Where did you read these crime reports? I'd like to more about this.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

May I ask why not Grape Bay?

We have found a few apt rentals and are going to investigate those possibilities.

you could google crime in bermuda.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM

I googled Bermuda crime and see cautions about thefts of unattended luggage, walking back streets at night after the bars close, and purse snatchings. These are the kinds of warnings I would expect to receive when visiting virtually any city in the world. Bermuda has crime; but, on the whole I consider myself safer in that environment than in most cities. I have been visiting Bermuda for over thirty years, generally alone, and have done so safely. That said I would not expect it to be a no risk environment and take normal precautions.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

What had us concerned was that reviews of hotels often refer to the "safe" or "unsafe" areas. Gang activity, stabbings, etc, we read about. We had a plan to go last year but a pregnant woman was viciously attacked in the neighborhood we had planned on renting in. I just read a review minutes ago on Trip Advisor saying this person's room was broken into by a "drugged up" person with a knife and that the hotel did nothing. Doesn't sound good for people with young children.
We do go to Paris often and I am from NYC if you can believe it. Our issue is that for the $$$ we wanted this to be a relaxing vacation without worry and I keep having the worry seed planted in my head when I read about safe vs unsafe areas, etc. If areas are unsafe on such a small island, I lose confidence.

TOo bad about Grape Bay - their prices were reasonable.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM

You might want to check back over on that trip advisor thread. I saw it got pulled and there is some chatter that the reason was the credibility of the poster. A good resource for Bermuda crime information is the online Bermuda Gazette.
Good luck with your travel plans.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM

Our State Department allows you to view their latest information and sign up for email alerts when there is trouble.