Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grotto Bay Beach Resort ? Any info? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grotto-bay-beach-resort-any-info-85578/)

Lianne Sep 5th, 2000 05:19 PM

Grotto Bay Beach Resort ? Any info?

We are beginning to plan our June 2001 honeymoon and have narrowed our choices to Bermuda or St.Thomas. We are considering the Grotto Bay Beach Resort and would appreciate any feedback re: the resort. <BR>Thanks <BR>Lianne

Ray Snow Sep 5th, 2000 05:40 PM

Both St. Thomas and Bermuda are wonderful places for a honeymoon. Bermuda will of course be more expensive than ST in June. We have never stayed at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort, but we have explored its grounds and eaten there. It is a nice clean place, but it is not on the ocean, has a man-made beach, and its sea view is the Bermuda airport.

Harmon Sep 6th, 2000 04:23 AM

Lianne, <BR>We stayed at Grotto Bay in 95. Very well maintained. Nice staff (they knew I had a cold & were great about bringing me pots of tea, even when I didn't request any!). Pretty grounds. Great for the bus routes (some originate there). Short walk to the Swizzle Inn, cheap taxi fare to/from airport. Close to the best golf. The tree frogs are very loud & happy at Grotto Bay & wonderful to listen to. <BR> <BR>Rooms weren't fancy, typical island colors & furnishings. Suited us fine. I read somewhere they've been redone recently. <BR> <BR>We have since stayed at other Bermuda hotels & believe me Grotto Bay was a steal. We got a great deal calling the hotel direct. The airport is not bothersome & actually you are looking at the causeway, Ferry Reach & part of the old railway trail. <BR> <BR>Not on the South Shore, true, but it is on the water & we'd stay there again. <BR> <BR>: - )

Jack Sep 11th, 2000 06:52 AM

My wife & I stayed at the Grotto Bay in October of '98. It was undergoing a renovation at that time. We found it as Harmon said - not fancy but nice. The breakfast plan was the best way to go. We loved the Swizzle Inn and the closeness to St. George. We would stay there again.

Penny Sep 11th, 2000 07:42 AM

If you are a beach person this is not the place for you.We would moped to South shore beaches and it is a half hour trip. The best beaches( and there are many-)along South Shore Road.We would not stay there again!There are better choices.

ann Sep 11th, 2000 08:41 AM

Hi! <BR>Having been to both Bermuda (3X) and St. Thomas I would definitely choose Bermuda for my honeymoon although it's more expensive...it's more "romantic" ...cleaner, safer, and better food overall. (just my opinions obviously). Stayed at Grotto once and would definitely stay there again for all the reasons noted by previous posters. Have fun!!!!

Penny Sep 11th, 2000 09:16 AM

I should clarify my above post-yes Bermuda is wonderful,we have been ther 15 times.We just did not enjoy The Grotto Bay. There is really no comparison-Bermuda is a lush island,no place like it in the caribbean.It has beautiful houses.senary,winding roads,some of the best beaches to be explored. St. Thomas is an entirely different place-we stop thru there on our way to ST. John. It was our honeymoon location years ago because of its longer season. Go to Bermuda,it is a very roamantic place.

Maria G Sep 11th, 2000 01:22 PM

<BR>Lianne, <BR>We are beach afficiados, yet we love having the island unfold before us as we ride the bus to the South Shore beaches. The winding roads, the beautiful vistas, the cliffs, the wonderous houses, not to mention getting a feel for the people of Bermuda. I understand that some would consider a S. Shore locale more romantic for a honeymoon, but would not sway anyone away from Grotto Bay just because it's not on the shore. <BR> <BR>Half of the wonder of Bermuda is away from the beach & the ride to & from is an opportunity to see flowers cascading over blackened limestone walls, moongates, etc. you otherwise might miss. Take ALL the bus routes & really explore. <BR> <BR>If you stay on the South Shore, consider Stonington or Sonesta. BUT Grotto Bay is a perfectly lovely choice. <BR> <BR>(There's nothing alive in the caves, but it's still fun to swim or snorkel in them. They're floodlit & it's kind of spooky.) <BR> <BR>Happy planning. <BR>Maria <BR>(working on plans for our 10th trip to Bermuda). <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

BKeyes Sep 12th, 2000 06:23 AM

I think you can do better than Grotto Bay. I would not like to be looking at the Causeway and the Airport....Plus it is so far from anything! The Swizzle Inn is nice for a snack and their famous drinks and fish sandwiches but that is about it. Depending on how large a Property you like...I agree that the South Shore has lovely beaches etc. <BR>Sonesta is HUGE and not very intimate....perhaps Stonington right on that gorgeous Beach would work. It is a lovely, little place and as a bonus...you can walk up the Beach to The Elbow Beach Hotel and take advantage of all of the social activities there...dancing, bars etc...other Honeymooners. As I recall...Stonington, because it is a teaching Hotel for the Bermuda Government...did not require the usual tipping, service charges etc. which really add up if you are young and on your honeymoon! Check that out as it could really save you alot of money.My other choice for you would be Michael Douglas's: Ariel Sands. It is a lovely cottage colony right on a beautiful beach. It has a good restaurant...tennis etc...and a nice bar/pub plus a Spa. If you have any questions...feel free to write me. BKeyes.