Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grenada ?'s about hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grenada-s-about-hotels-901803/)

argmom Aug 7th, 2011 04:47 AM

Grenada ?'s about hotels

I've been researching the Flamboyant & Blue Horizons. These 2 properties seem to meet our criteria. Reasonably priced with enough room for a family of 4 to spread out a bit. It also has a kitchen for convenience. The Flamboyant has more reviews overall (perhaps relative to it's size?) but there seems to be more places to walk to at Blue Horizons. We would probably rent a car anyway unless we don't need to. Any pros and cons or advice? Thanks again!

DaveJJ Aug 7th, 2011 06:32 AM

My wife and I have stayed at the Blue Horizons 3 times now and are returning next February. We absolutely love the BH. The accommodations are great especially being able to make your own meals should you wish. The grounds are beautiful. The families we have met in the past certainly seem to enjoy the place.

While we have not stayed at the Flamboyant all we have met have had nothing but good things to say about their stay there.

Both place are relatively close to the Spiceland Mall for shopping (no more than a 15 minute walk). The main difference is that the Flamboyant is an uphill walk on the Grande Anse roadway and its rooms are located up a rising walkway from the beach.

We have done a number of the island tours and have enjoyed them all. If you enjoy snorkelling then don't miss an excursion to the Underwater Sculpture park.

Over the years I have used the following website for up-to-date information. There are a number of long time travellers to Grenada that can assist with any enquires. Here is the link.

http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/Homepageeng.htm

I have also posted a trip report from our second vacation in Grenada that you may find helpful.

We have being to many of the Caribbean islands but rank Grenada at the top of our list. It is a beautiful, safe island with some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

H

ejcrowe Aug 7th, 2011 09:51 AM

Completely agree with DaveJJ. I love Grenada and if we were to go back to a hotel/condo style accommodation instead of our usual I would definitely consider Blue Horizons for a few reasons: (1) the property always looks great when we drive by (2) the on-site restaurant La Belle Creole is good and we've eaten there a few times, and (3) you get beach and charging privileges across the street at Spice Island Beach Resort, which is place that is posh and on an amazing stretch of beach.

True, you lack a view from your rooms compared to Flamboyant, but you also don't risk a heart attack walking back up the hill to your room a few times a day. :)

Both locations are great. As long as you're in Grenada, it will be hard to go wrong!

fiddy444 Aug 7th, 2011 11:25 AM

We are planning a last minute trip to one of the islands in the Caribbean, in mid-to-late August or early September. We have been to the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. However, we are afraid that we may encounter a lot of restaurants/hotels/places of interest/etc. closed because it is the low season. We are not sure which island to visit.

Do you think Grenada would be a great choice? If not, do you have any suggestions on an island that has great diving, nature, great beaches, night life where we will find most places, if all, open? We are two parents with a 23 year old male traveling with us. Thanks!!!

ejcrowe Aug 7th, 2011 12:29 PM

Hi--I replied to your other post. Grenada will be on average rainier than the other southern islands and it doesn't have much nightlife. Its beaches are beautiful, ranging from white sand to very dark volcanic sand, but I'm not sure about its diving. The snorkeling there is pretty minimal in my estimation. It would definitely get high marks for "nature" on your list, though.

argmom Aug 10th, 2011 03:15 AM

I tried to book Blue Horizons and was having difficulty online. After a lot of searching I think that Blue Horizons is undergoing construction and not booking any rooms after October. Can anyone verify that? Also, I'm not familiar with the trend in airfare. Is there any chance it would go lower or should I bite the bullet and buy tickets now?

DaveJJ Aug 10th, 2011 03:50 AM

Yesterday I completed my reservations at the Blue Horizon for a 2 week holiday next February.

I first contacted them through email and then by phone.

Here is the email address: [email protected]
Here is the phone number: 1-473-444-4316

I don't recall reading anything about construction at the resort.

I am not sure where you are flying from. We will be going with Air Canada out of Toronto.

In making our flight arrangements I noted that the price was much greater on some dates (only had executive class seats available) then others. We managed to secure flights for $378 going and $478 return. Taxes and everything brought the cost to $2140 for 2 people.

ejcrowe Aug 10th, 2011 12:42 PM

Can't help you with the Blue Horizons booking, but I can say that airfare from east coast of US to Grenada round trip has never been less than US $650pp for me. It definitely ain't cheap!

argmom Aug 10th, 2011 03:06 PM

The best I can find is $840.00 pp direct from Kennedy. I don't think I'll do much better based on what I've read.

DaveJJ - thanks for that link. I don't know why I had such problems. Today I was able to get on and check rates & availability no problem. Ironic that I just booked the Flamboyant last night. I can change it no problem but it's a big toss up. I think the location at BH seems better but the room itself seems a bit larger at Flamboyant. I believe the price at BH is a bit higher but not a huge difference. Traveling with 2 hormonal teens--that's important too. I know I'm probably overthinking this... I have to decide!