Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grenada or St.Kitts/Nevis (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grenada-or-st-kitts-nevis-1041053/)

NeilB Mar 24th, 2015 05:41 AM

Grenada or St.Kitts/Nevis

I'm planning on a weeks stay end of June and was wondering which island would best suit us. We're a couple in our 50's who prefer smaller resorts with more privacy. Preferably something with individual villas with plunge pools and beach views. It's going to be a lazy week with sampling great food (both local & fine dining) and the compulsory rum punch along with beach time and some not too strenuous hikes. I'm not confident driving abroad so will have to explore by taxi, will this be a problem? We were looking at Laluna on Grenada or Nisbet Plantation on Nevis. Has anyone got some other suggestions, or any other relevant tips. Will it be too windy/rainy in Nevis? Which has the better beach? All help much appreciated.

Callaloo Mar 24th, 2015 08:23 AM

Wow! Tough choices between 2 of my favorite places. As much as I love Nisbet Plantation on Nevis, however, I think that Grenada might be a better fit for you based on your wish list. Some thoughts/comparisons:

- While Nisbet has clusters of cottages, there are no plunge pools; just the main pool and the ocean. The highest room category is closest to the beach, but not as close as you might wish.

- Nisbet has a great restaurant, as does the island of Nevis as a whole. However, Grenada has much better cuisine overall, particularly as much of the food is harvested locally.

- Exploration by taxi is possible on either island, but probably easier on Nevis since it's smaller and has fewer roads. That being said, Nevis is actually sparsely traveled enough that you might feel comfortable renting a car there. Grenada ... well, driving there is not for the faint of heart.

- Nevis and Grenada have very similar climates; you'll find more rain up in the hills than closer to shore.

- Grenada overall has much nicer beaches than Nevis. Nevis' nicest beach is probably the one at Nisbet Plantation, but it's not all that great compared to other Caribbean islands. Grenada has a few more contenders.

NeilB Mar 24th, 2015 08:42 AM

Thanks Callaloo,
You've confirmed my research regarding the beaches and I'll take your other responses on board when I weigh up my options. Grenada does seem to be in the lead at the moment. I think I'll be making quite a few return Caribbean trips to visit all the islands on my wish-list.

aedkerr Mar 25th, 2015 08:26 AM

I agree, tough choices! I'm partial to Nisbet Plantation. Here's why:

* The setting is stunning and has just the right balance of privacy and things to do IF you're interested.

* The service is just right - The staff welcomes you as if you have always been there and automatically remembers your preferences. The Nevisians are naturally warm, inviting people and have great pride for their island home. The Nisbet staff just senses whether to approach you or not for service.

* Rum punch - Nisbet is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year and everyday for those who are interested it gives guests a complimentary rum punch and toasts to 25 years at 12:25p - very neat moment to be a part of.

* It's an authentic, old-world Caribbean feel where you can lounge the day away in a hammock, on the beach, by the pool. I'm not a fan of wind and I didn't have an issue. It was really a sea breeze and that will be handy for a June visit.

* Most of the food is actually local. Nisbet has 3 restaurants - casual to fine dining. For such a small island, the dining scene is diverse and unique - no chains, etc. Google Nevis dining - you'd be amazed.

* I agree with Callaloo, Nevis is small and the driving is easy via car rental, Vespa or even cab. The cab drivers easily double as tour guides.

* Mt. Nevis is at the center of the small island, so hiking is easily available and you can go as far up - or not - as you want.

* Have you checked out TripAdvisor? Read the first 2 pages of reviews (10 or so) for both and then decide. (Nisbet has a 5-star rating - La Luna has 4-1/2.)

Regardless, sounds like your trip will be fun! Good luck!