CUBA -- see once and never return

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we arrived at the Veradero Airport on January 17/10 we were met by maintenance staff, customs and security staff all wearing masks over their mouths and noses. So, the question is: protection from their germs or ours? Or, is this a hold-up? Given the Cuban attitude that tourists are cash cows (tourism is their largest government money maker far ahead of sisal, sugar, rum, cigars and oil), probably the latter. Our photos were taken, we passed thru security scanning on the way INTO the country, our tourist paper handed out on the plane was stamped but, not a mark appeared on our passports. The bus trip from the airport to hotel drop-offs went smoothly narrated by a Tourist Guide who told us how lucky we were to be in Cuba and how tipping vastly improved service. Yea, capitalism lives!

We stayed at the Melia Las Americas hotel in Varadero, Cuba for one week in January 2010 on a WestJet all-inclusive vacation. It promotes itself as a 5-star hotel but turns out to be a 3-star. Built in the early 1990s, it is clean enough but has low wattage lighting in public areas. Many steps to the lobby, to the beach, to the restaurants, to the golf club – great exercise but not handicap-friendly if that’s important to you. Only two small elevators in the main hotel but, again, you can take the stairs. The Varadero Golf Club is wrapped around two sides of the Las Americas Hotel. The beach is small and hemmed in at one end by the expropriated DuPont House (Xanadu) converted into a restaurant and clubhouse on a cliff and the Melia Varadero Hotel at the other end.

The anal-retentive Cuban tourist police make sure you do not use any other beach than the one for the hotel where you are staying. Got the wrong colour wrist band? Go back! Forget any long walks along the beaches unless you stay on a property that includes a long beach. This confinement of tourists is not for any safety reason but so the Communist government can keep track of people. The public Las Americas Shopping Mall is a short walk away. Hotel food is acceptable and plentiful. The open-air La Robleza restaurant by the pool is pleasant but opened later every day we were there – 12:00 Noon, became 12:30 PM then 1:00 PM. And stick with the luncheon meals – our paella took an hour to prepare but was a disappointing heap of rice, turmeric, one shrimp, one small chicken chunk and a piece of shellfish. The imported wine and domestic beer are good. The resort musicians all have CDs for sale ($10-$20 equivalent) and there are theatre shows every night.

Take the Hop-on, Hop-off bus ($5 equivalent for 9:00AM-9:00PM) to see the tip of the sand spit (but watch those private hotel/beach police!) and back to downtown Veradero and its flea markets to buy junky souvenirs and T-shirts plastered with Che Guevara’s mug shot. Changing Canuck bucks into Cuban tourist Monopoly money (called CUC) is a scam so try to change enough just once to get you through the entire stay. This is easily done because there is not much to buy on the beach, in the shops or at the markets. Break up your stay in Varadero by taking a day tour to Havana. The Spanish colonial architecture is crumbling, the old-style 1950s cars are now kept to amuse the tourists (most have replacement Hyundai or Kia motors) and, the government-run cultural tourist gift warehouse is full of white sales cubicles and computer-generated ‘art’ (there are a few, but very few, original artists). Had a watery Mojito at an Old Town bar supposedly frequented by Ernest Hemmingway. We were approached many times by street beggars, mostly old men and women. This will round out your excursion day.

On departure, our 11:00 AM hotel bus pick-up to the airport was prompt and contained another Tourist Guide who explained the final tourist tax grab – the $25 CUC per person “Tasa Aeroportuaria” that translates as “Airport Tax”. Can’t get home without paying it. CUC cash only! Two sour-faced Security Department guards in military uniform stood at the entry to the WestJet plane to collect the boarding card stubs showing each of us had paid our head tax and could leave. We will not return. See Cuba once out of curiosity but there are other islands with equally clear waters and soft sands and, a much better attitude.

Note, that two months after our visit to the peoples’ paradise of Cuba, none of the postcards we sent back to Canada have ever arrived. Stealing stamps and trashing international postal mail seems to be a common activity. And yes, we had the ‘correct’ postage.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Wow, considering how little you appear to have learned about Cuba, and the factual errors and wrong suppositions your story relates, I can certainly understand why you won't be returning to Cuba. It's sad really that you've managed to miss so much of what Cuba has to offer.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM

did you not realize you had to pay a departure tax and that you had paid a departure tax when leaving the other islands you have been to? it's applicable when leaving most caribbean islands and mexico.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Your postcards may still arrive. It always takes mine about 8 to 10 weeks to get to the U.S. from Mexico.

You seem determined to believe the worst in any situation ("stealing stamps and trashing internaitonal postal mail").

Wasn't there anything good in your entire trip?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Sounds like my experiences of Sicily.

Another island experiencing a new wave of tourism and locals totally incapable of coping with visitors or being civil to them. I also went with the intention of a calm relaxing time and was faced with a running battle every day.

By total coincidence we have just returned from the Bahamas and talked of planning our next trip. We looked at Cuba, glanced at one another and simply said "Sicily".
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What a depressing post and negative attitude.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I've only been to Cuba once, to Havana, it was an absolutely wonderful trip. Hoping to be able to return one day.

The original poster seemed to have completely missed every single opportunity to enjoy his travel time in the country.

What a waste.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM

This is EXACTLY the experiences we had in autumn 2009. Cuban tourism has far to go. If all you want is beach and booze, enjoy. If you want history and human rights, stay away. Cannot understand why tourists want to go back, but then there is no accounting for taste. The place will probably blow apart when the Castro brothers are officially declared dead.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:22 AM

This is a well worn Fodors path. This site seems to be populated by a whole load of gushing Julie Andrews types who think that a trip that includes the use of their US passport will result in a "wonderful time".

I can't see how posters can be criticised for posting their bad experiences.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM

markrosy, you are so right about attacking anyone with a negative post. Isn't this suppose to be about the individual's experience while traveling? I don't get it. It keeps us from having all points of views, because who wants to have this kind of feedback after taking the time to write. It would just be nice to see "thanks for posting, and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip".
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM

I only bring this up after I had around 30 posts hammering me for not enjoying a trip to Sicily.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Wow......completely the opposite of anything I've ever heard of visiting Cuba. I've known many who traveled throughout the country, on their own, never been stopped, eaten in Cuban's homes, made friends, loved the country, returned over& over & over.......
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 07:18 AM

I just returned from Varadero in February. There were no "tourist police" telling anyone where you could or could not go. I ran for miles along the beach every day without incident. The whole trip was fabulous, and we definitely intend to go back next year.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM

I think the rating system for hotels is a bit different in Cuba in that the standards are a bit lower. We stayed at what was supposed to be a 4 1/2 star and it was more like a 3 1/2. We also found the food at our resort to be sub-standard.

But we didn't mind so much. The beaches, rich culture and good-hearted people more than make up for it, and make me want to return to Cuba again and again.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM

I was in Cuba for 3 weeks and travelled the whole island (with the sole exception of Varadero as all inclusive beach holidays are not my thing).
I had no hassle from police and the people I met were curious and friendly in the most genuine way. I can't wait to get back.
In Havanna there are touts who are out to make a buck but a simple no was all that was needed for them to leave you in peace.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Considering several folks have commented on an unpleasant RECENT experience it only confirms what my tennis partner told me from his recent trip. Maybe if someone is of latino origin or maybe just non-American they will not encounter the terrible treatment . But just go into the hinterlands or the city getto's and ask why support tourism in Cuba. That is unless you are willing to give money directly to locals living in the gettos. I did confirm one thing since Canuuk went on his support Cuba tourism rampage: Licensed Medical Doctors (M.D.) with a specialization in Internal Medicine are paid $200-$240 per month by the Cuban government. That is after 4 years of college, 4 of medical school and 4 yrs. of internship and residency. A high school teacvher in Havana wil 4 years of college and a 1 year Masters' receives between $130-$200 per month. So how motivated might the doctors be to care for the populus often working 10+hour shifts 11 months a year vs. 7 hour days 10-11 months a year. So much for those supporting Cuba. Yes, I checked my facts on the Internet with Cuban supplied information
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM

StanKase wrote: "......I did confirm one thing since Canuuk went on his support Cuba tourism rampage......"

--------------------------------------------------

Well, your "facts" on salaries are WRONG but then again, as you've never been to Cuba (your own admission) and rely only on third-party hearsay, and "internet" rocking-chair research, I simply won't waste much time on your nonsense. Cubans are paid in Moneda Nacional, or CUP Cuban Pesos. Any conversion to "dollars" is nonsense because their whole living and value system is completely different to the USA. You're comparing apples with machine screws. Not possible at all. My best friend in Havana is a University Professor at the University of Havana. I know exactly what she makes, how she lives with her family and children and what things cost in Cuba. For example (prices converted to dollars so others can understand), her monthly electricity bill is less than $2.00. A loaf of bread is .15 cents, fresh pork roast at the tienda de carnicero is about .18 cents per pound. And that doesn't even include the monthly "libreta" or ration book supplies of rice, beans, meat, bread, cooking oil, eggs, that every Cuban gets each month. Enough generally for two weeks food for the family. A ride on the city bus anywhere in Havana is only .02 Cents!!!
So as I said, you're making totally unfounded comparisons that have no basis in reality. Why not visit the country and enlighten yourself.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Despite my complete ignorance of Cuba, I am still inspired by a BBC Travel programme which interviewed two gentlemen who had visited(almost) every country in the world and one of the last questions was "Is there any country that you would return to?" - and the answer was Cuba. Speaks volumes, and since then it has featured on my 'must see before death list'.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Interesting, stevelyon.

Cuba has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that makes it one of my favourite destinations.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM

I'm a little disappointed in this post. Everything said was NEGATIVE. The poster had nothing good to report on Cuba. I was there with 27 other people in November of 2009. While there will always be things that people dont like about travelling a trip is what you make of it. If you are determined to enjoy yourself, you will have a great time and come back with positive memories and things to say. Some of the issues posted come with travelling and experiencing someone elses culture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -