Grenada lodging & island hopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have been to USVI/BVI, Mexico/Riviera Maya, Bahamas, Maui, etc. We love the beauty of St. John, the quaintness of Akumal (Mexico), Maui had amazing food and whale watching. So, we do like variety. We had picked St. Lucia for our next trip but in researching, realized we may like the authenticity of Grenada better and it does seem to get more bang for your buck, plus I like the idea of hopping over to Curacao. I'm having a hard time deciding where to stay. We do like a beautiful, quiet beach but we live 10 minutes from the beach in FL and that's not our main goal. We want to be able to walk to some restaurants if there are not good options at our hotel but also willing to rent a car for a few days for things like hiking, waterfalls, sights- which is a must for us. We like local culture, history and nature but would like to walk or have access to a beach on our "lazy days". Looking for moderately priced lodging <200 night (or a little more) but I seem to find that the food/dining at the moderately priced places are not as well reviewed and we love good, local food. Not huge fans of buffets- especially if it's every meal. We've stayed in some places where the lodging was great but we spent too much time and cab fare going to eat. We want a clean facility with a comfortable bed (non smoking) with staff who can give us good directions, advice. I see more affordable places near the university but not sure that's what we want- I'm thinking the Grand Anse area has access to nice beach areas but wonder if it's overly crowded and too far from other activities on the island. Also, if anyone has island hopped, where to an for how long? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 09:19 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved from Europe to the Caribbean forum
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 03:07 AM

Your impression of Grenada seems a bit odd to me and I wondering how you came to such a conclusion about it, same with St Lucia. Neither of these islands are like any of the Americanised places you have been before and I don't mean that in a derogatory way, since I like the US and it's American ways. Since you like hiking and waterfalls etc I don't know why you chose Grenada over St Lucia. Grenada does have those things too, but St Lucia scores higher IMO for the area around the Pitons especially if beaches are not your no 1 priority.
I can't see how you can easily hop from Grenada to Curacao and I don't understand why you don't know where to stay in Grenada either, most people stay on one of the beaches eg Grand Anse or Lance aux Epines, Grenada is not an island where any places gets crowded, so again I'm confused at your impressions. Grenada has loads of local restaurants, renting a car is a good idea to get around the island.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 03:22 AM

I'm guessing you mean to hop from Grenada to Carriacou (not Curacao) -- which is doable by ferry.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, auto-correct error. Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Odin
Your impression of Grenada seems a bit odd to me and I wondering how you came to such a conclusion about it, same with St Lucia. Neither of these islands are like any of the Americanised places you have been before and I don't mean that in a derogatory way, since I like the US and it's American ways. Since you like hiking and waterfalls etc I don't know why you chose Grenada over St Lucia. Grenada does have those things too, but St Lucia scores higher IMO for the area around the Pitons especially if beaches are not your no 1 priority.
I can't see how you can easily hop from Grenada to Curacao and I don't understand why you don't know where to stay in Grenada either, most people stay on one of the beaches eg Grand Anse or Lance aux Epines, Grenada is not an island where any places gets crowded, so again I'm confused at your impressions. Grenada has loads of local restaurants, renting a car is a good idea to get around the island.
Your reply seems a bit odd to me. My post never compared "Americanized" anything to these places- simply stating that we've had Caribbean experiences and what appealed to us in previous trips. Clearly, I realize that St. Lucia/Grenada are different which is why I an visiting one or both. I said that I chose Grenada because you get more bang for your buck and it seems less crowded than St. Lucia. Additionally, I have multiple friends with common travel interests who said that St. Lucia was beautiful but overrated (in their opinion). I was not really asking what areas to stay in but what hotel/lodging would be a good pick and what had the most walkable drinking and dining. Thank you for the reply but it was absolutely no help at all- with the exception of the car rental bit- it seems you misinterpreted much of my question. The Curacao was a spell check error- clearly I meant Carriacou. I've found helpful advice on another forum have already planned my itinerary.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 09:17 AM

So what lodging help did you find? Iam having difficulty as well.We are doing Grenada and St. Lucia both and like the same things as you , as well as being from Florida.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 09:41 AM

My guess is that the OP is long gone after getting a rude reply to the original question.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmie
My guess is that the OP is long gone after getting a rude reply to the original question.
Maybe not. But holy hell that was a nasty unpleasant response to a normal question.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tinkr2
Maybe not. But holy hell that was a nasty unpleasant response to a normal question.
In what way was the response nasty & unpleasant? I couldn’t understand how someone can research Grenada & St Lucia and conclude that you get more for your money in Grenada but Grenada might be more crowded (?) & apparently St Lucia is beautiful but overrated? Neither island is cheap. Neither island gets crowded. You don’t get more for your money in one place over another. It’s not Mexico or DR. Most of the hotels in Grenada are around Grand Anse, there isn’t that much choice. The OP said they had a hard time deciding where to stay. I assumed that meant area but they meant which hotel.

The OP made a spelling error & managed to spell Curaçao instead of Carriacou, seeing they are both spelled totally differently and considering most people’s geography of that region isn’t good, seeing that their research results were a bit out, it wasn’t obvious to me it was an error.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 06:02 AM

tinkr: I love the southern part of St Lucia. Mountains and hot springs and wonderful people. https://www.fonddouxresort.com/
The cottages at Fond Doux are old world Caribbean. Fresh fruit and flowers. And unlike Florida, no alligators!!