Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grenada-Grand Anse vendors a real nuisance? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grenada-grand-anse-vendors-a-real-nuisance-159338/)

Boonie Jan 2nd, 2004 05:47 PM

Grenada-Grand Anse vendors a real nuisance?

Am getting down to the wire on an upcoming trip
(end of Jan.) to Grenada and since no one responded to my query about recent info/stay
about Bel Air Plantation (please respond if you've forgotten!), have narrowed hotels down to
Coyaba and Allamanda on Grand Anse. Normally prefer secluded location, but like idea of
eating at different restaurants, etc. La Luna seems way out of my price range, and may be fully booked anyway. La Sagesse looked attractive, but will not have car. Basic question (have explored this issue at grenadaexplorer.com but vote still out): Do the beach vendors on Grand Anse truly interfere with a relaxing holiday? Any additional info on your recent experiences at Coyaba/Allamanda would also help. THANKS!

curiousx Jan 2nd, 2004 07:18 PM

I did not find the beach vendors overly intrusive. They canvassed all new arrivals the first day or so but then pretty much left one alone.

Brian Jan 3rd, 2004 11:55 AM

There is a separate area on the beach where the vendors are supposed to stay, but of course a few will make the rounds. I've never found them to be very aggressive. They seem to come out when the cruise ships dump their loads of passengers on the beach for the day. If you're not interested, just politely tell them so and they will leave you alone.

joan Jan 3rd, 2004 02:31 PM

We stayed at Coyaba with our daughters about five years ago...and found the vendors to be just as curiousx described. They will recognize you after the first day. They were really nice to us...one of them - Wally (gosh wouldn't it be cool if he was still there?) enjoyed playing our smashball set with our girls, and by the end of the week taught them to waterski, and made gorgeous palm leaf characters for them. And I remember holding the infant baby of the lady who braided my daughter's hair... It was a good experience. Actually I remember the feral dogs being more of an issue...there were alot of them and occasionally they would snarl and fight each other. Anyone know if they're still there?

P.S. Be sure to walk over to Spice Island Resort for their buffet, and also the smaller place "up the steps" at the end of the beach where they have crab races...have a great trip! See the waterfalls too! :)

JJDave Jan 5th, 2004 03:49 AM

My wife and I vacationed in Grenada last February. We started each day of our 2 week holiday on Grande Anse beach. The first day several vendors (less than 5) asked if we wished to buy their wares. With a polite no thank you they moved on. The second day we asked the lady (of a certain age) selling the spice baskets and necklaces to come over so we could see her offerings. We ended up buying 6 baskets ($30) and 5 necklaces ($25). The other vendors saw this and came back and asked us again if we were interested in their sarongs or woodcarvings. Again we politely declined. For the remainder of holiday we were never asked again. The vendors are not the persistent, over baring types you may have found on other islands. Grenadians generally speaking are shy and reserved. However, once you ask them about their lovely homeland they become quite engaging and helpful to boot. I did not find the vendors any more distracting (from my book) then the time it took to say good morning to the lovely senior citizen couple that would walk by each day, hand in hand, bare foot in the sand, dodging the incoming waves.