Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grenada/Carriacou--Just returned (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grenada-carriacou-just-returned-57115/)

sarozen Nov 22nd, 1999 12:50 PM

Grenada/Carriacou--Just returned

I just returned from a ten day trip to Grenada and Carriacou. Any questions?

Carlton Nov 22nd, 1999 04:05 PM

I spent 10 days there in May and loved it. Please post a trip report with all or at least some of your experiences for our benefit. Not nearly enuff trip reports are posted here.

sarozen Nov 23rd, 1999 08:50 AM

By request I am posting a brief summary of our trip. I will be happy to provide further details or answer questions if anyone is interested. <BR> <BR>Days 1 & 2 were spent at the La Sagesse Nature Center on the South Coast of Grenada. The nine-room hotel is set right on a beautiful bay and is run by an American who makes sure everyone is satisfied. It is an idyllic place and is highly recommended. <BR> <BR>Days 3, 4 & 5 were spent at the Silver Beach Inn on Carriacou. Carriacou is quite a bit less developed than Grenada. <BR>The hotel is right on the beach and close to Hillsborough, the major town on the island. The highlight of our stay was a hike to Anse La Roche beach located at the northwest corner of the island. The beach can only be accessed by foot or water taxi and is just a gorgeous place with beautiful water. <BR> <BR>Days 6, 7, 8 and 9 were spent at the Grand View Inn on Grenada near Grand Anse beach. The beach was unswimmable due to Hurricane Lenny, but south-facing beaches were ok. The Grand View has spectacular views but service-wise is a bit rough around the edges. It is quite a bit cheaper than other surrounding hotels and does seem to have the best view.

Matt Dec 20th, 1999 08:31 AM

I am thinking of travelling there this summer, but have recently read in a travel guide that crime is on the rise here and that going out at night was not advised, did you feel safe in Grenada?

Brian Dec 20th, 1999 02:48 PM

Matt, <BR> <BR>I've heard the same thing for years, but have never felt unsafe while in Grenada. However, the last time I was there (almost 2 years ago), someone broke a window in my rental car and got into the trunk while the car was parked at Pearl's Beach. Before I left the car, a kid tried to sell me some sort of trinket and saw my backpack in the trunk. Fortunately I didn't have anything of real value in there. I suppose this sort of thing could have happened anywhere. The best advice would be to use common sense and not carry valuables. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't write off Grenada based on isolated incidents like this. I'm even thinking about going back next summer. <BR>

Ana Dec 20th, 1999 03:59 PM

Brian: The same thing happened to us - in the parking lot of a 5 star hotel in England! Despite the fact that the parking lot had security cameras, some young kids smashed the window of our rental car to retrieve our [empty] videocamera bag. So, yes, such crime activities can hapen anywhere!!