rental car agency that permits ferrying car St. Thomas to St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone rented a car in St. Thomas and taken it to St. John? What agencies permit this? Herz levies a $1,000 fine for taking car on ferry. Would you recommend renting in ST. Thomas or St. John ? (all our time will be spent in StJ)
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 04:57 AM

We recently rented two cars on StT from Budget, and used the car barge to get to St. John. Budget knew this and helped us time the ferries (we arrived by cruise ship and wanted to spend the day on StJ). Call the Budget office on St. Thomas directly (they have an 800 number, but not the national number - I'll get it for you if you can't find it on google.com) for lowest prices. Also, mention AAA if you're a member, after you get a quote, and they will give you further discount.

I think this is easier, as you don't have to haul your luggage all the way to St. John...however Budget does not have an office on StJ, so breakdowns would be a hassle, requiring them to ferry someone over...you should ask about that. Somewhat of a gamble, but the cars we rented were brand new!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Discount Car Rental also allows you to take your vehicle over to St. John. As has previously been said, the one potentially serious drawback to renting on STT and going over to STJ is the lack of read service if something happens. Having said that, in a dozen or more years of renting cars on STT, I've never had need to call for road service.

http://www.discountcar.vi/

Schultz
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 10:00 AM
cdt

I rented 2 years ago from Avis and at that time they allowed cars on the ferry. You should verify current rules, however.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Budget has a $50 service charge if you need assistance while on St. John.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 03:22 PM

There's a great little car rental place located inside the Holiday Inn downtown. Very helpful and friendly, used them twice. Accidentally left my credit card there and they actually tracked me down at the airport to return to me.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

so many replies, so soon! Thank you, all. We're debating whether the hassle of moving luggage from cab to ferry and then off ferry is a greater issue than lack of road service from a St. Thomas rental agency while on St. J. Do any of you know how close to the pier you can drive in Red Hook?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM

You can basically drive right up to the Ferry in Red Hook. How does this change anything?
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

to FYouSparty--because if passengers w/o cars had to be dropped off aways away from the pier, the appeal of driving directly onto the boat would be a lot greater than the situation you described--trudging with luggage only a short distance.