Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Great Huts in Port Antonio (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/great-huts-in-port-antonio-570353/)

mjp6 Nov 11th, 2005 12:31 PM

Great Huts in Port Antonio

Anyone stayed there b4? I am thinking of staying there while I'm in P.A. this Dec. Would like some reviews.

Thanks in advance!

mjp6 Nov 11th, 2005 12:33 PM

Oh, and I am hoping for a relaxed visit, non-tourist atmosphere? Does Great Huts provide this?

faithie Nov 11th, 2005 12:37 PM

I believe this is in the Boston Beach area , so probably a good 20-25 minutes from Portie proper . I do not think you will find anyone who has stayed there . Tivertonhouse has mentioned it , but thats about it . portland is the road less travelled here . We absolutely loved it , amazing place . We stayed at Goblin Hill Villas . Basically everything here is nontouristy ......

faithie Nov 11th, 2005 12:38 PM

put Port Antonio in the search box and read away .

mjp6 Nov 11th, 2005 12:44 PM

Yeah it is in Boston Bay.

I've read up on P.A., here and on other sites, and it sounds really nice.

Hoping a person may have swung by Great Huts or stayed there and could tell me a little about it from first hand experience.

faithie Nov 11th, 2005 12:52 PM

I dont think you'll have any luck here . As I said Tiv. might know a bit more about it ...... Port Antonio is indeed very cool, a really beautiful , interesting , unique area . It oozes " Irie " !! Will you have a car ? You would almost need one here if you were intending to visit restaurants , sites , etc. The beach is beautiful , so absolutely nothing wrong with staying put either .

cariblady Nov 11th, 2005 07:37 PM

I used to work for Dragon Bay, and I never heard of Great Huts. Their website looks interesting. My one concern would be just how close it is to the Boston Jerk Center because of the smoke and aroma from the barbecues. Please post a report when you return, I am anxious to hear more about it!

tivertonhouse Nov 11th, 2005 10:56 PM

We're in talks with the owner to handle it starting spring/summer 06 and are editing thru 150 pix now... Carolyn Barrett at barrettadventures.com took the pix, handles now, and can also provide transport/guide services. Great Huts is new so it's not surprising that it's little known. And the owner continues to build new structures on the property. Right now, there's a two-story bamboo 'tree house' with all mod cons, for 2 guests -- and a collection of artful Moroccan leather tents for 1-8 guests each -- with 25 guests max on property. Cook available. Hammocks everywhere, esp.on the small beach which has very good snorkelling off it. The owner, a MoBay physician, spearheads a lot of community health and education projects for the area residents and a goodlly portion of rental income goes to these good works.
GH is set on a private point oceanfront
well apart in sight, sound and smell from the jerkstands
on roadside/beach opposite in Boston Bay.
Contact us for more info.

tivertonhouse Nov 12th, 2005 03:10 AM

Cariblady:What your hear now that Butch bought Dragon Bay and Reitch Falls/hotel or villa/condos? I remember--very fondly--DB back in the 'old days'...

faithie Nov 12th, 2005 03:28 AM

I saw on the net somewhere , plans for a development , one can buy the villas etc. ( Dragon Bay ) A gated villa community I believe .

cariblady Nov 13th, 2005 02:16 PM

Tivertonhouse,

Yes, Butch did buy Dragon Bay for a song, so I heard, and is currently using it for in-house functions. Not open to the public yet. Sure miss that place! <heavy sigh>

cariblady Nov 13th, 2005 02:18 PM

Faithie,

Didn't hear that rumor, but there is a new property being developed between Dragon Bay and Blue Lagoon. Beware of this man, he owes a lot of people (including me) money for the promotion of his properties in The Bahamas! You do not want to do any business with him. Rumor has it that The Bahamas government is going to shut him down there.

faithie Nov 13th, 2005 02:32 PM

No worries mon !! No intentions to buy !!! lol . It actually showed the Dragon Bay beach on the property map , with the division of lots etc. Hmmmm...... Dragon Bay must have been fabulous ! I have only seen it in pics , on Coctail , and that terrible reality show last year !!