Great Exuma to Long Island, Bahamas

Apr 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Great Exuma to Long Island, Bahamas

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has island hopped between these two islands. We’re working on planning the details of our next trip for February 09 and were thinking of flying out of Phila through Miami to Great Exuma, staying there for 5 nights and then taking a boat over to Long Island to stay at Cape Santa Maria for another 4-5 nights. Has anyone done this before and if so do you have a company you would recommend using? How long of a ride is it? We’re looking into renting a villa on Great Exuma. I looked into the puddle jumper from Georgetown, GE to Stella Maris, LI, but it seems awfully expensive at $375 p/person. We would then fly back to PHL through Nassau. I’ll be traveling with my in-laws, DH, daughter who will be 3.5 at the time, and our new baby (due in July) who at that time will be 7 months.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and any recommendations on things to do while in Great Exuma? We were looking into a day trip with the boat “Exzooma” to Staniel Cay and to see the pigs. Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for your help
Apr 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM

kellybeaches,

We are going to Cape Santa Maria via Georgetown later this year. We're using Island Wings for that puddle jump -- but it's not $375 per person ... it's $375 for the entire plane (up to 5 passengers). While not cheap, it gets to be pretty affordable when you divide among a larger group. (Since we are flying to Georgetown using FF miles, we didn't think that last hop was too bad, all things considered).

Good luck planning your trip. I'm really looking forward to mine, but can't share any details yet.
Apr 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Callaloo,
Thanks so much for that info! That seems to be the best option then, as we'll have 4 adults/2 kids in our party which will take up the whole plane. That's more of the price I was looking for. What airline are you taking to MIA? Do you know if any of the airlines are connected with island wings and will transfer luggage? Looking forward to your trip report!
Apr 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM

We are flying American to Georgetown via Miami. I don't know that any airline will connect you to Island Wings, but I also suspect that you'd need to collect your bags in Georgetown and clear customs and immigration anyway. Those little airstrips in the Bahamas -- like Stella Maris, probably -- rarely service international flights, so you have to clear in at at airport that does. (We had to clear in Eleuthera once, even though we were going on to Cat, because at the time Cat didn't have customs and immigration.)