Grand Lido Negril vs Couples Swept Away for Wedding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of getting married in March in Jamaica and are considering Grand Lido Negril vs Couples Swept Away and are looking for feedback from travelers on which is the better option (hotel, grounds, service, etc.). Thanks.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM

I have stayed at both several times. I absolutely love Swept Away! The rooms are very Jamaican and had no TVs when I was there last in 2000. Also the patios are really large on all but the lowest categories.

I am active and their fitness facility is just super! Also I like their restaurant, Feathers, a lot. SA is also more tropical feeling than GL and I found the staff to be warm and welcoming. All the dining is open air.

GL is a lovely property and has some special features like the yacht Zein. They also have a nice gym. The main restaurant is open air but the others are air conditined, which I do ont particularly care for.

All in all, I think SA is one of the romantic spots I have ever stayed in and I cannot wait to return.

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Do you know if Couples Negril and Couples Negril Swept Away are the same property? We may have a couple coming with us that are on a limited budget and Couples Negril may be more affordable. But it only makes sense if it is the same resort so that we can spend together on the trip. Thanks.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Couples Negril and Couples Swept Away are 2 different properties...although they are located fairly close together, and you can use both properties while you are staying at one. CSA is supposedly more for honeymooners, and doesn't allow same sex to share a room (i.e., like 2 mothers in law travelling together, etc.). Couples Negril is still a honeymoon resort, but is more open to different roomies. My husband and I are going to Couples Negril after talking with my travel agent. Apparently it is larger, and is on a more secluded piece of beach. Go to www.couples.com for more info.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Suzski... just to clarify. At CSA you can have same sex people. I just got married there Oct. 2nd and it was fabulous. My 2 brother-in-laws stayed in a room together, no problem. So if you are getting married, they can stay at CSA too. I would highly recommend getting married there. If you want to see some of my pics let me know.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information and the offer to send pictures. I will send you a separate email.

Can anyone tell me how these options compare with Couples Negril?

Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:39 AM

I visited CN while at SA. It was not as intimate, IMO. The grounds are more tropical at SA and the small buildings that contain the rooms blend in and are quite private. you can see from the website that CN is more hotel like.

Also the fitness focus at SA is wonderful as is their spa.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM

I have only been to Swept Away so cannot compare, but if you want to know things about Couples generally that you didn't even know you wanted to know, go to the message boards at www.couples.com. Honestly there are people who post there who have been to these resorts over 60 times!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

My travel agent believes that we should choose the Grand Lido Negril. Can anyone provide us with information about the quality of the hotel and restaurants? We are also interested in feedback about the beach since that is where we want to hold the wedding. Thanks.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:08 AM

KimberlyO, I have never stayed at either resort you are considering, but having just planned and experienced my own island wedding & honeymoon last summer, I wanted to suggest that you listen to your own intuition, not what your travel agent suggests. Especially if s/he is nudging you in one direction for no reason other than the personal perks s/he will get from sending you and your guests to Grand Lido.

Both places get wonderful reviews, so if you're looking for an AI in Negril I imagine both would be good choices. But you should be aware that most AIs like that offer certain perks & incentives to travel agents for X number of clients they send. Be sure to ask your travel agent EXACTLY why s/he prefers Grand Lido and ascertain whether your own best interest is being served. THat being said, I hope you have a wonderful & memorable wedding and honeymoon. Congrats!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:12 AM

kimberly. i've been to grand lido but not couples. loved grand lido, great restaurants and 24 hour room service which most all inclusives don't have. i'd rethink getting married on the beach unless you don't mind a beach full of onlookers. it's not too private. i think they have other locations on the property where you can have a ceremony.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 07:30 AM

I have stayed at GLN and CSA 4 times each. I much prefer CWA if I am looking for a romantic getaway. The property is more lush and secluded, the rooms more intimate and inviting and the food and service are very good. Their fitness facilities are top notch as well!

GLN is not couples only and while CSA will take some singles - when there is a group involved - they would not let me book there as a single since 1999 when I went there solo for a long weekend. A that time, it was not a Couples property. GLN accepts adults over 16, period, so the ambiance is quite different.

While both resorts are very nice, I alos found the staff at CSA to be superior overall to that at GLN.

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

We have decided to book the Grand Lido Negril and are very excited. The ammenities sound wonderful, we love the idea of 24-hour room service and since we have some friends traveling without spouses we thought this would be the better option. Can anyone share their wedding experiences? Also, our travel agent asked if we wanted to upgrade our room and we wanted to know if there is a big difference between room categories? Also, any advice on what we should do from home and what has to be accomplished when we arrive?