Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Lido Negril (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-lido-negril-39292/)

Jade Mar 3rd, 1999 12:21 PM

Grand Lido Negril

While we are usually not fans of all inclusives ,we're considering going to the Grand Lido in Negril. <BR>Based on a brochure and one neighbor's report, it seems to have the sort of atmosphere and amenities we seek.However our neighbor was there in 1992, and we'd like to hear from anyone who has been there more recently.

Jade Mar 3rd, 1999 01:04 PM

In thinking over my posting above I realize I should have been more specific about what we are seeking. We are looking for a quiet, refined atmosphere as opposed to what is often referred to as a "party" atmosphere. We enjoy watersports ,but not those whining jetski things. We would like a pretty beach as well good food and wine.We don't mind dressing for dinner.

Diane Mar 4th, 1999 06:14 PM

We didn't stay at Grand Lido, but saw it when we were in Negril in '96. The beach is gorgeous. It has a very refined atmosphere. I could see going all-inclusive at a resort as classy as this one.

Dave Mar 7th, 1999 06:54 AM

We were there a few years ago - The beach was nice, and mostly quiet. Best beach was the nude side, also the quieter rooms. Regular side was near the road. The people were older than the crowd at Hedonism. The food was fair to good. Dress-up at the French restaurant. Take the sunset cruise.

Jennifer Mar 11th, 1999 06:36 PM

My husband and I were married at the GL Negil in October. It was BEAUTIFUL. Crystal clear waters, great music, and good service. Some things I would and would not recommend. DONOT take the bus from the airport to the resort - it is FRIGHTENING - take the $80us plane ride- 10 minutes and you are there(compared to a 1 1/2 hour bus ride from hell). Be financially prepared for out of the resort excursions. Everything you get is paid for - if you don't want to leave the grounds. The grounds and rooms by far were the most impressive part of the trip. They are impeccable! The room service offered the best food - 24hrs! The atmosphere was so laid back - it took my husband and I a good 2 months to get back into the swing of things in the US! I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Best of luck!

Jennifer Mar 11th, 1999 06:37 PM

My husband and I were married at the GL Negil in October. It was BEAUTIFUL. Crystal clear waters, great music, and good service. Some things I would and would not recommend. DONOT take the bus from the airport to the resort - it is FRIGHTENING - take the $80us plane ride- 10 minutes and you are there(compared to a 1 1/2 hour bus ride from hell). Be financially prepared for out of the resort excursions. Everything you get is paid for - if you don't want to leave the grounds. The grounds and rooms by far were the most impressive part of the trip. They are impeccable! The room service offered the best food - 24hrs! The atmosphere was so laid back - it took my husband and I a good 2 months to get back into the swing of things in the US! I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Best of luck!

Jennifer Mar 11th, 1999 06:37 PM

MTS Mar 21st, 1999 08:00 AM

For the money this place is a rip-off. What they don't tell you in the brochures is that the rooms are tired and worn, the food is poor; you are only allowed one visit to the four star rest. per 7 day visit, the remaining chouces are outrageously poor for what you are spending. Read on, there are others who have the same impression

joelle Mar 23rd, 1999 12:00 AM

I totally agree with MTS. The place is a total rip-off. This was our first all-inclusive and Jamaica experience, and I am sorry to say we will never go back. <BR>

Lara Mar 23rd, 1999 06:00 AM

If you are looking for "refined", be aware that GL has a "pajama party" one night per week that can get really wild. I have not been to GL myself, but friends tell me that there is some serious drinking going on all day long.