Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Caymen and Cozumel excursions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-caymen-and-cozumel-excursions-410055/)

janellelewis Mar 12th, 2004 09:30 AM

Grand Caymen and Cozumel excursions?

Hi,

We will be going to Grand Caymen, Playa de Carmen and Cozumel the first of May on Carnival. We are trying to figure out what are the best excursions. We would like to go horseback riding, snorkeling and swim with the dolphins.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've heard there are better deals out there than what the cruise lines offer. We want to get the best 'bang' for the buck.

Thanks for any and all help! It's wonderful to have a board like this to get advice from!

crowisland Mar 12th, 2004 10:07 AM

Sting Ray City in Grand Caymen is a must! Unforgettable. Carnival will offer this as an excursion. Have Fun!

Kelabel Mar 12th, 2004 09:27 PM

Sting Rays were one of the coolest experience in my life.
We were lucky and chose the right boat. We chose a 60 person catamaran and found that only 2 other couples signed on and best of all no kids. There was as much staff on the boat as tourists. They went out anyway. When we got to Sting ray city the other boat trips were over run with too many people. With 100 ppl on some boats they had to take turns in groups to get into the water. We found our own little spot in the water and had a blast. the catamaran cost $10 more than the other boats and didn't go to Hell or the turtle farm so that's why nobody signed on.
I am not adventurous but I truly enjoyed this experience. The sting rays are intelligent and beautiful animals that will pet you while you are in the water. btw, the water is like 4 feet deep or so on the sand bar. It is scary at first but you get over that.
In Cozumel we hit the Mayan ruins Tulum. They were right on the water and there is even a crystal blue water beach to swim or hang out on.
You have to hit Mayan ruins at one point in your life.

We booked all our excursions through the cruise because you don't have to worry about anything that way and the extra cash we had to put down was worth me feeling at ease about getting back to the ship on time and any scam we could run into.
Literally, right when you get off the ship dozens of tour guides hold signs looking for people to take to the same excursions for half the ships rate.
If you do the dolphin swim make sure #1 it is a swim with the dolphins and not just interacting with them, if that's what you are looking for and #2 DO NOT use the ship to book it. It is like $155 through the ship and $75 through easily accessible companies on land. I heard a lot of angry dolphin swimmers later that day in Cozumel. I am sure you can look into these locations further very easily. One site that I like is
http://www.caymanislands.ky/welcome/
Kelly
p.s. If you swim with sting rays DO NOT wear water shoes or shoes of any kind. If you step on a sting ray you will injur it for life. The sting rays are really safe and the only way you get hurt is if you violently step on its stinger yourself. I accidentally stepped on a stinger or two and didn't get hurt. It is safe. Sting rays remind me of cats, they gently glide against your legs for attention and food

Kelabel Mar 12th, 2004 09:32 PM

Also,
We planned to do horseback riding and but didn't. When I really looked into it it was horseback riding on a trail through mayan ruin replicas. It sounded cheesy and I later heard it was. If you want to ride a horse, chances are you can do that in your homeland. But then again I didn't do that excursion.

JayL Mar 13th, 2004 03:56 AM

You can't get to Tulum from Cozumel. You have to be on the mainland for that trip. If you are into seeing Mayan ruins, Tulum is a good start.
Sting Ray City is a must on Grand Cayman.
In Cozumel I suggest getting a cab to take you to Chankanaab national park. Very good snorkeling, restaurant, swim with the dolphins [I personally do not support this activity - too much like an expensive petting zoo]
Another suggestion is for you to rent a car/jeep and drive around the island. Lots of beaches for lounging about and having a beer or two. On the windward side the beaches are wide open, with a bar/restaurant every once in a while. No shade, watch the undertow and rips.

Inkbomb Mar 13th, 2004 10:44 AM

I was on the Carnival Glory this past Christmas and had a fun time. I'd have to say that the excursions do get a little pricey. The route we took was a little different but I've been to these places on other vacations.

Here are my suggestions:

Grand Caymen I'd suggest going to Stingray City. Great place to shop for jewellry, watches, perfume and cosmetics. Otherwise it is a pretty pricey place.

Cozumel, since we had a limited amount of time on the island we opted to walk around the town. Be prepared to be hassled by everyone trying to sell you a deal. We did a lot of "window shopping" and had a nice relaxing meal at Casa Denis (visit their website..if you mention you saw their website they promise to provide a free drink to all who order an entree) before having to rush back to the ship. If you like to snorkel it's pretty good in Cozumel.

Playa del Carmen we walked around town and once again encountered a lot of people trying to show us their wares. The beach was a nice escape from that.

Enjoy your cruise!

janellelewis Mar 26th, 2004 11:23 AM

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions - sounds like the Stingray interaction is a must! : )

I'm still thinking about the other activities, but sounds like horseback riding is out.

Can't wait to go and thanks again!