Grand Cayman vs. Turks & Caicos

Dec 5th, 2001, 03:20 AM
Stefanie

Grand Cayman vs. Turks & Caicos

Which do you prefer and why?

Dec 5th, 2001, 04:53 PM
doasearch

There was a thread on this recently, do a search it had some interesting observations.

Ive never been to T&C (going next month) but ive been to cayman, jamaica, bahamas, st.john, st. thomas and bermuda. Cayman was my favorite so far, not bc its the prettiest island (its very americanized and resembles florida; if you want exotic go to bermuda) but bc the water is the clearest ive ever seen and the people are the friendliest of all of the above and i felt totally safe. Service was better/faster too. None of that 'hey mon' crap or 2 speeds, slow and stop, like some islands.

The snorkling is amazing and the swim w. the stingrays was an amazing experience you only get on Cayman.

Dec 6th, 2001, 12:08 AM
Stefanie

Thanks "doasearch!" Kindly post a report upon your return from T&C!!

Dec 7th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Marie

Have been to both as well as others & must say Grand Cayman & Providenciales T&C are my favorite. Both have "swimming pool-clear" water. I think GC has better snorkeling & Sting Ray City is a must-do. Also there are many more great restaurants at GC.
Provo T&C is absolutely beautiful, less populated & crowded. You can't miss with either one.

Dec 7th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Diver

I agree that both are top of the line, especially the beaches and clear water. But if you're a diver, there's no real comparison - GC is vastly superior in that category.

Dec 7th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Joanne

But isn't Grand Cayman much more upscale in appearance? How run down does Provo look in comparison and what's the poverty like on the island? Is the drive from the airport pretty "sad" looking as well? Can you drink the tap water at your hotel on Provo?

Dec 8th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Jeremy

Well, Provo is pretty run down.
Car recks.
HOWEVER, it is actually interesting.
There are natives running around, people selling Conch, churches, scenic coastal roads, you can find you own GREAT beach all to yourself!!
But overall, you will be dissapointed if you drive around the interior of provo, but people dont go to provo for the interior. Its all the coast.
Poverty is not so bad also. Mild crime.
I would pick provo over GRand Cayman anyday.
Cayman is like america. Nice little shops, american bankers, I did not like it.
Provo, the BEST beahes and snorkling!

Dec 8th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Sandy

Stefanie,
I've never been to T&C, but been to Grand Cayman many times. If the water and beaches at T&C beat 7MB, I'd love to visit there. I think GC is one of the best!!! Calm, beautiful water, and white sand beaches. And the people of GC make it my favorite!! Also, I can't imagine better snorkeling than Grand Cayman!
Sandy

Dec 8th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Jeremy

Caymans and GC are both steller.
Im not sure why the people are so special.
All I saw were a bunch of bankers walking around, but that may be me.

Dec 8th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Stan

Jeremy, you sound like you know Provo well, but you sound like you really don't know the Cayman Islands well at all. Maybe you just stopped on a cruise for a few hours?

Dec 8th, 2001, 09:20 PM
jaye

Jeremy, do you have a problem with America, or bankers for that matter? I'd much rather run across a banker than a native with a weapon who aims to rob me.

Dec 8th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Jeremy

Atually Im american.
What I meant was why is she so into the people of Grand Cayman if most are american anyway.
That means you like your home cause of the people also!

Dec 8th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Stan

In the Cayman Islands, Americans are not even a majority of the 1/3 of the population that are resident non-Caymanians.

I find the Caymanian people to be super nice, partly because they have such a high standard of living. GC is very westernized and has less Caribbean feel than most other islands, so I'm sure for that reason alone many prefer other islands. I've been to many islands, and GC is one of my favorites. To me it's strengths are its beach, water, diving, snorkeling, restaurants, safety record, marine protection policies, and quality of accomodations.

I would love to check out the beach and water in T&C since they were named Tops in Best Beaches according to the Conde Nast Traveler's Reader's Choice Poll.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011102/flf002a_1.html

Dec 9th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Sandy

When I mention that I love Grand Cayman because of the people, I'm refering to Caymanians. I have always stayed off the beaten path where locals live and hangout, and I have gotten to know many of them over the years. I just think they are genuinely nice, gracious people, who enjoy the company of visitors like myself. They are always willing to help you out, and always have a smile and a hug! Some of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere!!!
Sandy

Dec 9th, 2001, 05:33 PM
mookie

I agree! The only Americans I saw on cayman were tourists but they were all from the south and sounded like rednecks. I was wondering if some southern cruise ship brought them all over. They had a habit of making annoying comments to strangers that they found amusing, ie I was standing at the Turtle Farm w. my snorkel gear, bc I was goign to snorkel right after next door at Turtle Reef, and this hick says to me, 'I dont think you can snorkel in there, heh heh heh.' Gross.

And for the record I am from the south, I just don't sound or act that way thank god.

Dec 10th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Debbie

Sandy-I haven't been to the caymans since the early 70's and am planing a trip in the next few months. What part of GC do you like and where do you usually stay? It would be for a family of 4 and we were thinking of renting a car? Thanks-(Last time I was there-the Holiday Inn on 7 mile beach was about it!)

Dec 10th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Sandy

Debbie,
If you haven't been to Grand Cayman since the 70's, your in for a huge shock. It has changed a lot!!! I go down every six months, for the past 11 years, and I can't believe how things have changed. The Holiday Inn that you remember is gone, and Seven Mile beach has tons of condos, with 4 or 5 major hotels now. Hyatt, Westin etc.

I stay on the north side of GC, in an area called Rum Point. It's about a 45 min. drive from Georgetown. But you don't have the crowds and traffic and cruise ship passengers that you have on 7MB. It's kind of the way you remember GC years ago. Except maybe for the $5,000,000 homes in the area. There's a condo complex there called the Retreat where we stay. Very nice condos, secluded beach, and gorgeous views. There's now a restaurant and bar there, and about 8 years ago they put in a pier and there's a ferry that brings people over from 7MB to spend the afternoon. It's definetely an area where you would need a car. But I think because of the laid back seclusion of that area, it's worth the drive etc. There's several nice restaurants in the area, and really the drive to 7MB isn't that bad.

If your thinking of staying on 7MB, check out places on the northern end. Fewer crowds and much nicer beaches. Some nice condos in that are Aqua Bay, Discovery Point, Silver Sands and Christopher Columbus. If you have any more questions, please let me know. It's still a great island, even with all the growth that has happened. If it wasn't, I wouldn't go back every 6 months. You'll love it!!
Sandy

Dec 11th, 2001, 10:48 AM
paige

I have not been to GC but have been to TCI.
1. I wanted no crowds. I did not want to go to an island where cruise ships dock for obvious reasons. I made the mistake of choosing St. Martin for a vacation spot after years of going to Tortola & hated it.
2. I wanted peace & quiet. Since there is not as much tourism on TCI yet, it's very clean & quiet. I do not go on vacation to party all night so it was perfect for me. TCI is very expensive but well worth it.
3. I don't like fighting for a place on the beach. Don't have that problem on TCI. You'll be lucky if you see anyone on the beach during the off season.
4. It's not "americanized" like I heard GC was. No fast food, etc.

I am planning on going back to TCI this comming Summer since I was so impressed.

Dec 11th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Jeremy

How people hate caribbean vacations is beyond me.
I thought st. martin was the funnest vacation, but Turks has the best beaches and snorkling.
I would not say Provo is "Clean"
A lot of trash and junk cars.

Dec 12th, 2001, 09:06 AM
paige

I thought TCI was very clean & I was all over Provo. At one point, we found ouselves lost (we were in "the dump") and it was still much cleaner than St. Martin. If GC is anything like TCI, I am there!!
The only downside to TCI is there is basically no shopping. That was my only complaint but my husband was very happy there was no shopping. Saved him alot of money!!
The snorkeling on TCI was great too. It was my 1st time & it was cool. I am certainly going to invest in a better snorkel this year.