Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman vs. St. Kitts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-vs-st-kitts-187936/)

mjz Jan 4th, 2005 06:31 AM

Grand Cayman vs. St. Kitts?

I'm taking a trip this Summer to either Grand Cayman or St. Kitts? Airfare is about the same - a little cheaper for St. Kitts - but St. Kitts takes a little longer to get to. I'll either stay at the Westin on Grand Cayman or the Marriott on St. Kitts. Yes, both are chain resorts that lack island charm but I'm status with both hotels. That coupled with the low price I can get at each resort plus upgraded room is why I'm choosing these hotels.

Does anyone have a preference on islands and why? I realize the topogragphy of each island is vastly different. Grand Cayman probably has better beaches but St. Kitts is lush with a rain forest - and MONKEYS.

Things we like:
Nice beaches
Good restaurants off the resort
Exploring opportunites via Jeep
Snorkeling
Browsing local shops

If you've been to both and have preference, please share your thourghts.

Thank you in advance!
Matt

Carib_Ian Jan 4th, 2005 07:58 AM

It may be timing determines your answer. Are you confident that by the summer Grand Cayman will be up for tourists? Will the Westin have fully recovered from its damage? I have never been to Grand Cayman but I have been to St. Kitts and it has a definite West Indian feel to it. The snorkelling is not great in St. Kitts. But there are good restaurants and the roads are easy to navigate. You can also do a day trip to Nevis which would be very nice. The people on St. Kitts are very friendly and gentle in nature. The Marriott is quite beautiful (although big and sprawling) and the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed.

summer04 Jan 4th, 2005 08:20 PM

Grand Cayman had all of the things you are looking for---Fantastic restaurants, gorgeous beach, great snorkeling and diving. We were there last June (our third visit) and stayed at both Aqua Bay condos and the Westin. We totally loved both. The beach at the Westin is the best stretch on Seven Mile Beach and the grounds and pools at the Westin were beautiful.
However, Huricane Ivan devastated the island in September and you would need to really investigate their readiness to accept tourists before going. It's heartbreaking to look at my June pictures and then see what the island looked like after the hurricane. They are supposedly moving quickly to rebuild and receive tourists once again. Even if you don't go this year, try to visit one day.

Enya Jan 5th, 2005 05:55 AM

I tend to agree with Carib-Ian. St Kitts will fit your bill in terms of exploring opportunities by jeep, good restuarants with a local feel (one to try is Ottley's Plantation restuarant in the country, especially for their Sunday brunch) and browsing of local shops in the town. Basterre is an interesting town with alot of old charming buildings and neat little shops. St Kitts is not known for its beaches or snorkeling but you could do a day trip to Nevis where the beaches are better and you can also do some exploring there. Also some good local restaurants on Nevis.

anonxx Jan 5th, 2005 09:20 AM

There are recent pictures of Grand Cayman, post hurricane, on this website (click on the calendar). It looks like the island is recovering remarkably fast, and the vegetation has regrown. My family is going down for two weeks in March, I'll have a first hand account, but not for two months. http://www.ivan.ky/

mjz Jan 5th, 2005 12:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. We're not going until Labor Day weekend, so if we choose GCM, they will have had almost a year of rebuilding under their belt, although I know the hurricane was quite devastating.

CaymanSue Jan 5th, 2005 01:14 PM

I'll be on GC for a month beginning the 11th. Staying with friends on North Side since our condo is scheduled for knock-down and rebuild. I' really looking forward to seeing all our friends and soaking up some Cayman hospitality. Not looking forward to packing up all our stuff for storage, though. But at least we have stuff. I'll post my impressions of the recovery.

TomCayman Jan 7th, 2005 08:57 AM

The Westin in Cayman has been open again since November... by Labor Day you will be just fine.... upwards of 90% of all tourist accommodations, restaurants, watersports operators and attractions will be back up and running 100%... no problem, mon :)

Knowing Jan 7th, 2005 02:46 PM

The Westin in GC does have the nicest beach, however, if you are a pool person, you need to be advised that they do a lot of corporation types of things and this can close off the pool area to you. Snorkeling amid all the colorful reef fish is fun. GC offers a multitude of water activites, including scuba diving, swimming, fishing and catamaran cruises. Everything is pretty well located and convenient for shopping and eating, although the shopping is not very popular on GC, except for jewelry.

Traveler863 Jan 7th, 2005 10:43 PM

mjz,
Well thats a tough one you'll ultimately obviously have to decide. Its a sheer toss up considering your criteria. Grand Cayman by far has better beaches and snorkelling opportunities....however as you know the island itself is flat and dry and uninteresting. On St. Kitts you'll find many opportunities for jeep excursions as well as local shopping, try the batik place is your with the ladies. Good restaurants abound. If it were my pick and took away snorkeling as top priority I'd go to St. Kitts. Love GC however water activities are about all it is....St. Kitts has far more topside to explore which from your post seems to outweigh. Best of luck and happy travels.

Traveler863 Jan 7th, 2005 10:50 PM

More to add:

Another great plantation with excellent food is Rawlins on the north side.

Do not go to Nevis for better beaches or snorkeling, you will not find it better than St. Kitts, in fact you'll be disappointed. HOWEVER, DO go to Nevis for its charm, its history, its people....just one truly beautiful island and one of my favorites. Enjoy.

mjz Jan 8th, 2005 09:03 AM

It will probably all boil down to airfare and time to get to the destination. I am willing to spend a little bit more money and a little bit more time to get to St. Kitts.

Thanks again for the all the input.