Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman vs. Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-vs-costa-rica-908877/)

Lil_Higgs Oct 11th, 2011 10:47 AM

Grand Cayman vs. Costa Rica

My husband and I are looking into a vacation for February 2012. We are looking at the Westin Playa Conchal in Costa Rica and Grand Cayman Beach Suites in Grand Cayman. Has anyone ever been to either? We are used to the crystal clear blue waters of the Caribbean so I know the beaches in Grand Cayman will be amazing. Not sure what the water is like in Costa Rica. The Westin in Costa Rica is all-inclusive, but the Grand Cayman Beach Suites is not. Would love some advice!

doug_stallings Oct 11th, 2011 11:11 AM

It's hard to think of two different places. Costa Rica does have some great beaches, but I would never recommend that someone go there for a beach vacation. If you want to explore nature while staying in a beach resort environment, then I think Costa Rica might be ok, but you'd still be missing out on a lot of the best things the country has to offer. But if you want a relaxing beach vacation where you do typical resort-type activities like diving and windsurfing and dining out, then the Cayman Islands is far better.

KVR Oct 11th, 2011 03:05 PM

We've been to Grand Cayman twice and have been researching Costa Rica for awhile.

The trip we are planning to Costa Rica is no way considered a "beach" vacation. It's more about sightseeing, waterfalls, animals, nature, volcanos, and hiking. We are planning on 3 different areas and not an AI resort in just one place.

If you want AI in Grand Cayman, look at the Marriott on 7 Mile Beach. They offer an AI plan.

For a true beach vacation, I would say GC over CR.

blamona Oct 11th, 2011 03:46 PM

To add to above,

Caymans are basically flat, all about the water and beaches sorts are fairly upscale, restaurants are upscale with outdoor settings. It almost feels "Americanized". It's about snorkel, tan typical beach vacation. It is an expensive destination.

Costa Rica is mountain, coffee, zip line, hike looking for Animals, adventure kind of place. For me being a beach girl, I find the beaches to be okay, they are far superior on any Caribbean island. This a more affordable destination, and the resorts are definitely a little more rustic. You definitely know you're in a foreign country.

Arenalbotanical Oct 13th, 2011 09:49 AM

Too much wind and too dry in CR in Feb. Do Grand Cayman.
I live in CR.........many years. You want to see CR / June-July are best.

qwovadis Oct 13th, 2011 01:25 PM

Have been to both

www.weather2travel.com great time to travel to both places

reservaconchal.com is pretty

browner beaches very lush tropical many great adventures

papagayovargastours.com and pick up arenal.net volcano

on your way up... tabacon.com hot springs some of world's best

GND Cayman whiter beaches seven mile is awesome touristy flat

as a pancake smaller not as much nature... outstanding diving

rays black coral forests...

I love adventure so personally prefer Costa Rica.

qwovadis Oct 13th, 2011 01:37 PM

www.fourseasons.com/costarica
might also check this one in CR
the only true 5 star

The Westin sometimes has deals bidding priceline.com

betterbidding.com as does the Marriott in GC which

will have the very best beach... no volcanism or river run

off so whiter beach.

Lots of CR beaches are nice though pretty white with a hint

of brown and clear water in the right areas...

Happy Deciding!