Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman vacation - Westin or Ritz (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-vacation-westin-or-ritz-445692/)

curiousgirl964 Oct 9th, 2008 12:40 PM

Grand Cayman vacation - Westin or Ritz

I am planning a vacation next month with DH and am considering a trip to Grand Caymans. Can anyone weigh in on the Westin vs. the Ritz? It is our one-year annivesary so we are looking for a great spot for a romantic vacation.

patsfan1 Oct 9th, 2008 04:16 PM

Ritz is newer and more upscale
a true 5 star property.
Westin is the next best choice on the island.
both are situated on the best part of 7 mile beach.
since it is your anniversary I say pick the Ritz and splurge a little.

Andrew304 Oct 10th, 2008 05:19 AM

The Ritz is indeed newer and more upscale.

That said, it's beach is wall to wall loungers - very crowded and most of the rooms are actually across the street from the beach. The building has a very nice over-the-road bridge/gallery so you don't feel like you are crossing the street, but you are. If you can get a room on the real ocean side and you don't mind crowds, the Ritz is very nice.

The Westin is a bit older, but not outdated. It feels less crowded and the entire property is on the beach side of the road.

If I could get an ocean view at the Westin for the same or less than a "resort/garden" view at the Ritz I would take it.

I do feel the restaurants at the Ritz are much better than those at the Westin.

Knowing Oct 10th, 2008 01:07 PM

When we went to the Westin on GC, several people on this board said to me, "Don't think "Westin" when you go. You will be disappointed." Indeed we were.
The Ritz, on the other hand, lives up to its reputation. It is the classiest hotel on the island. The beach is gorgeous. So is the main pool. And it has an attentive staff. They decorate so that you know you are in the Caribbean. The hotel has five restaurants and great shopping. Spendy? Sure, but I agree with pastsfan. It is your first anniversary, so splurge!

TnTWalter Oct 13th, 2008 06:47 PM

Stayed in both. Westin in 2000, Ritz 2006 [it had just opened].

We were oceanfront at both. I would want to be oceanfront at Ritz because it's a long walk otherwise, athough pretty.

Rooms at Ritz ~ AMAZING.

Blue Restaurant at Ritz is FANTASTIC, especially the service, and you pay for it.

I remember thinking the Ritz was 'HUGE' and I prefer smaller resorts. But I just LOVED that bed.

They share the same stretch of stunning beach.

If there is a large difference in price, I would rather use the difference for fantastic meals and fun day trips.

Trish

Any other choices?

StanKase Oct 13th, 2008 11:23 PM

Stayed at the Westin but visited friends at the Ritz and looked at their Ocean Front view Deluxe room and they visited ours as well. Both couples said the 20%/night premium at the Ritz was worth it for special occasions and if you can avoid the entire week of Thanksgiving the crowds will not be that bad, I would not imagine. Enjoy and Congralualtions from a guy who is approahing his 41st wedding anniversary.

smorg Oct 14th, 2008 09:50 AM

Stayed at The Westin, Grand Cayman two years ago in November. It is a really nice, quiet place to stay. Very comfortable and great air conditioning as quite high humidity outside. The hotel is far away enough from the Cruise Ships that can be seen on the horizon in the harbour. Some good restaurants in the town. Only down side at the Westin is that there were no umbrellas on the beach and you had to sit round the pool to get some shade from the sun.

curiousgirl964 Oct 15th, 2008 07:17 AM

Thanks for all of the info. DH and I found an amazing package in Aruba so we will be heading there. Grand Cayman is still at the top of our list so maybe next year.