Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman trip report, part 1 - weather and general impressions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-trip-report-part-1-weather-and-general-impressions-140201/)

Jackie Jan 10th, 2002 06:59 AM

Grand Cayman trip report, part 1 - weather and general impressions

Got back from 7 days in Grand Cayman last night. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't good, not one clear, sunny day all week and we only got into our bathing suits twice. We landed 3 hours late at 5 PM due to mechanical and crew delays with our connection in Charlotte. By the time we went through Customs, got the car, went to the condo, unpacked and went to the supermarket, it was 8 PM and pouring rain. It rained most of the day on Thurs. The rest of the days usually started off partly sunny in the early morning. Between 10 and 1, black clouds would roll in and that was it for the day. It was extremely windy every day, seas were very rough and temps. were in the 70's but the strong winds and no sun made it feel quite cool. A couple of nights it got into the 60's and people were going around in long pants and sweatshirts.It also showered 2 additional days. On Fri., there were gale force winds and seas were 12-15 ft. with additional beach erosion. On M & T, seas were 5-8 ft. We managed to go out on a smorkeling trip on Sun. even though the sky was socked in with black clouds. Sting Ray City was fun but we didn't think the snorkeling was great. It's better in some of the other islands and in Key Largo. It rained on the boat ride back and everyone was shivering with cold. We put the heat on in the car on the drive back to the condo!<BR><BR>7MB is 50/50. The southern half is practically non-existent and completely non-existent in front of the Marriott (sp?. There is no beach for the Comfort Suites people either. They were putting their chairs at waters edge and it was so rough that the waves were soaking them and their stuff. In that area, there are lots of fist-sized stones that the waves constantly push around so walking along the shore there is quite uncomfortable. The water was so rough that the stones were being flung around - not good. Farther north by the Westin and beyond, the beach is lovely with no stones. The condos along there are gorgeous but very expensive, selling for US$1 to 4 million. A few are on the rental program but not many and are about US$ 600-700 a night, too much for us.<BR><BR>Driving around the island, we noticed that at least 50% of the homes along the water and every inch of developable land is for sale. I think the world slow down in the economy has really hit them hard. Most of the beaches were deserted and the paper said that the Marriott and Westin were at about 50% occupancy. <BR><BR>See part 2 - condo and restaurants<BR><BR>

xxx Jan 10th, 2002 07:25 AM

Jackie, I returned a few days ago and had some of the same weather you did. There seemed to be a few better days when I was there, but Friday, January 5 was rough. Saturday was nice, though. We went on the Nautilus and had a great time-no crowds. <BR><BR>The weather in Florida while we were in Cayman dipped into the low 30's, so we didn't feel so bad. Visitors who joined us from Buffalo left behind seven feet of snow.<BR><BR>Out of eight consecutive visits around this time, we have had disappointing weather only this year and last. Other years have been glorious. I remember, perhaps in 1998 or 1999, when most of the midwest got socked with blizzards, we were boiling on the beach.<BR><BR>The beach is pretty much gone below the Cayman Club condos. North is better.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, the economy right now in Cayman is weak. It began softening a year ago. The flip side of this for tourists is that it is less crowded. Instead of being innundated with cruise ship people as in the past, this year there were very few, and several boat-less days.<BR><BR>Sorry to hear you seem to be disappointed but hope you'll visit again.

Sandy Jan 12th, 2002 05:31 AM

Jackie,<BR>Sorry that you had such bad weather down there!! Especially since it lasted all week. In response to your comment about condos north of the Westin, there are many for rent, and way below $600 a night. The average is about $300.<BR>Sandy

Sandy Jan 12th, 2002 05:57 AM

Jackie,<BR>After I posted I realized that you were there during the high season, and yes, everything is double the price of low season when I go down. <BR>Sandy

S Jan 15th, 2002 11:50 AM

I'm really sorry that the weather wasn't great. I thought this wasn't the rainy season and even if it rains it's brief and clears up right away? Does it do that often...I'm going next week so I'm a little scared that the weather's going to be consistently rainy like it was...

Pete Jan 15th, 2002 12:08 PM

The north Carib had some pretty unusual weather this year. The Caymans and Virgin Islands got some unusually heavy periods of rain. In 8 years of going to Cayman (May - August) we never saw more than an hour of rain any day. You can stay on Seven Mile for much less $ than listed above by looking for package deals thru airline and travel agencies. In 16 years of Carib travel I never paid anywhere near rack rate. Just like the air prices fluctuate by 50% or more, so do the package deals.

cc Jan 16th, 2002 07:28 AM

We also just returned from Grand Cayman on a ten day trip. The first half of the trip was disappointing due to the unusual Norwester storm they got. Toward the end the weather was great though. We stayed at the Holiday Inn. It is brand new, and the beach, swimming and snorkeling there are excellent! Plus there is a great beach bar with waitress service. We had an ocean-front room(thanks to priority club) for $150 per night. It is a little bit north on the strip, but there is a bus service that will give you a lift for $2-just wave when they beep. For anyone staying at the HI, there is a fantastic restaurant just down the road called Neptunes. They wait on you hand and foot, and the food is delicious. Also, for any budget travelers out there---Friday nights are free food nights at some restaurants. We went to Fidel Murphys for a great Chinese buffet btw 5 and 7 (get there early for a seat) for FREE(a word you rarely hear on that island). I hear that Big Daddys offers the same. Have a great time.

Crayola Jan 31st, 2002 12:22 PM

The days of no cruise ship days is gone. One day last week there were 6 ships in port and 14,000+ cruise ship passengers wandering around. There are regularly 4 cruise ships in port these days. Offer a $299 cruise and everyone takes advantage of the deals.