Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman the MOST important day for me - please tell me the BEST underwater experience for my short time there!

Search

Grand Cayman the MOST important day for me - please tell me the BEST underwater experience for my short time there!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need the help of the wonderful, experienced posters here. We decided to take a last-minute (leaving next week) cruise with the kids and the most important stop for me is on Grand Cayman. I want to be very smart about our partial day there and need your advice!

We are supposed to arrive at 8 a.m. and depart at 3 p.m. We have to tender to shore, which I know is a much slower process than docking, already limiting our short day there. My husband and I spent our honeymoon on Grand Cayman and I have long wanted to return. We tried it 10 years ago as part of a Disney cruise, with our young children, but as we sat anchored off of the island, the captain decided the seas were too rough and we sailed away.

10 years later, I want to have a day on Grand Cayman with our now-teenaged children, and want to have the best possible experience while on the island. This is what I want to accomplish:

1. A snuba experience
2. Snorkeling one or two GREAT reefs with thousands of tropical fish (not a sandbar where fish are occasional).
3. A visit to Stingray City

The only Snuba operator on Cayman does a swim to the shipwreck Calli (Cali)? and then over some sea grass. We'll probably see some fish, but not as many as we probably would snorkeling a great reef, which is why I'm adding that. (This Snuba operator does a longer, "ultimate" tour for land visitors not on cruiseships).

Captiain Marvin would let us do Stingray City and a reef dive or two.

If I combine the two operators, I could get all of my experiences -- but we are on Grand Cayman such a brief period of time, do you think it would be possible to fit both in and still make it back to the ship on time? Or is there another way/operator I haven't mentioned? Is there another outfit that offers all of the things I outlined above?

I thought about renting a private charter boat, but they don't have Snuba.

I thought about doing an excursion through the cruisline -- apparently ship passengers who book through the cruiseline get priority in tendering off the ship (along with guaranteed return) so that would give more time on land.....but there is not a snuba outing offered through the cruiseline.

I don't want to do one fo the snorkel trips that's in the harbor near the boat, because I've heard those are extremely busy, with lots of boats, activitiey, fuel in the water, etc. -- I'd prefer a short boat trip to a spectactular reef.

And stil watn to make it back to the ship in time!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM

You have to do the visit to Stingray City. I've been there twice for a week each time and the most memorable thing is the visit to Stingray City. And you get to go snorkling as part of the trip so that's included. I could not imagine just stopping at the Grand Cayman for just the better part of one day. That's why we just go there for the whole week when we vacation.
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Trying to fit both tours on a short stop isn't going to work. Why add any stress to the equation?

I would just book Capt Marvin, so you get to do Stingray City AND the snorkel stops which will be great.

IMO, trying to fit in both will prove to be too hectic in that short time frame, and you won't be able to enjoy it.
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 12:49 PM

We went on a tour which took us to the Stingray City and then to some wonderful spot to snorkel (don't know the name). It was great, highly recommend! Snuba never made any sense to me. I think you either have to dive to see something that a snorkeler can't see or snorkel (which is easier and more enjoyable than snuba). We both dive and snorkel btw.
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 03:34 PM

do stingray city. it's a unique experience. i usually don't like the ship's tours, but in this case i might consider it if it really gets you off the ship faster. if you have extra time there are a couple spots on seven mile with good off beach snorkeling.