Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman---Rum Point (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-rum-point-563716/)

croix Oct 10th, 2005 05:00 PM

Grand Cayman---Rum Point

Anyone been there lateley to 7MB----is the ferry running to rum point from the Hyatt?
Has Cassonova's ever re-opened and is it on the water?

Thanks.

TomCayman Oct 11th, 2005 12:09 PM

Rum Point is open, but the main restaurant is not (for evening dining) and the ferry is not running (as the Hyatt, the main source of customers for Rum Point) is not yet re-opened, save for their 53 room Beach Suites.

Casanovas original location was demolished a couple of years ago to make may for the soon to open cruise ship terminal... they moved a few hundred yards down the road, but I drove past their the other day and it is undergoing a massive remodelling.... so not sure when they will re-open.

GC_Sandy Oct 11th, 2005 03:10 PM

For Tom Cayman,
Do you have any idea when the ferry will start running?? We'll be down in a few weeks and I'm disappointed that it's still not running.
Thanks, Sandy

CaymanSue Oct 12th, 2005 10:12 AM

Sandy,
Glad to hear you will be going back to GC! Where are you staying? Tried to e-mail you, but the address is no longer valid. North Pointe has begun to "rise from the rubble".

GC_Sandy Oct 13th, 2005 03:25 AM

Hi CaymanSue,
I am so excited to finally be going back to GC!! We're staying at the Gardens of Kai, close to the Kaibo. We'll be there for Pirates week. Can't wait to go to the Driftwood, and check out the Retreat. Glad to hear your place is coming along. It's just so nice to be going back!!!
Sandy

GC_Sandy Oct 13th, 2005 03:31 AM

For CaymanSue,
I wanted to ask if you know anything about the place we're staying?? Good, bad, anything?? Thanks, Sandy.

CaymanSue Oct 13th, 2005 10:37 AM

I've never been in one, but they look terrific from the road. I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the new "up in the air" Driftwood. And please take note of the new bathrooms! The 2 toilets in the Ladies' are right out of Harv's Kai! Have a great time!

CaymanSue Oct 13th, 2005 04:40 PM

Sandy,
e-mail me. Thanks.
Sue

beth48 Oct 14th, 2005 09:37 AM

We stayed at The Marriott Beach Resort in June - Most areas of 7 MB have re-opened, although whatever was next to the Marriott was still standing, but extensively damaged. We had a rental car and drove to Rum Point - you can't really get lost on GC as it's not that big. I highly recommend The Wharf restaurant for dinner and Coconut Joe's for breakfast.

GC_Sandy Oct 14th, 2005 03:55 PM

To CaymanSue,
Sue, I wish I could e-mail you but I'm having major computer problems. That's why you guys haven't heard from me for a while. I'm not able to send e-mails. Why don't you just come down and spend the week with me on GC!!LOL
Sandy

CaymanSue Oct 15th, 2005 06:04 AM

Would love to, Sandy! But, alas, not possible. Since you are there Pirates' Week, be sure to go to the North Sde Heritage Day, which is held at the public beach near Kaibo.

GC_Sandy Oct 15th, 2005 06:43 AM

To CaymanSue,
We always go to the Northside Heritage Day events. Great food and I love the fireworks, wouldn't miss it! You've really peaked my curiosity about the Driftwood. I'm more excited then ever! Are they still doing the Sunday BBQ?
Sandy

CaymanSue Oct 15th, 2005 10:11 AM

Yes, they are still doing the Sunday thing. Have fun!