Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman - OK to travel to now (March) after Hurricane Ivan?

Feb 19th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Just wondering if anyone has been to the Cayman Islands lately and can report on how the island has recovered from hurricane damage?
Also, thinking of going for first time mid-March and staying in Caymen Kai, Rum Point, Northside area, so any tips on good locations/accomodations for a mother and grown son (20) and friend would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Try www.Caymanphotos.com for recent pictures. Haven't been back since last June, but I know they've come a long way since the hurricane. However, the damage was so extensive that they still have a long way to go. I think for those who have been to Cayman before, it would be no problem now, because we know the original beauty and that it will be restored. The beaches, the ocean and the sun are all still the same! However, if this is your first time, be prepared to still see some destruction, as it is not yet what it was. I would definitely still go though!!!
Sorry I cannot comment on Cayman Kai as I stay on 7MB or in West Bay. For open restaurants go to www.caymanrestaurants.com. If for some reason you would decide to stay on 7MB, I would recommend Plantana condos. They and the Westin are on the best part of7MB.
Mar 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful sites. Still was hoping to hear from someone who has been to Grand Cayman lately. We're going next week -- March 13.
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:40 AM

I was In Grand Cayman Jan 10- Feb 10. We have a place in North Side but because of Ivan damage, we stayed with friends. Our building is slated for tear down and rebuild, if we can ever work our way through all the hoops. That part of the island is in pretty good shape compared to the rest. And everywhere there is improvement daily. Where are you staying? I can give you some tips if you like. Go and enjoy!
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Hi Joy, I live on the island so if you have any questions I'll try to answer them for you.
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Hi.
We went to Grand Cayman in Feb. (the 3rd through the 12th) Just like you, it was our first trip there. (well, my husband was there as a child over 25 years ago!) We stayed on the Northside, as well. We absolutely loved Grand Cayman. We were very concerned about hurricane damage and I must say...there is extensive damage. We drove around the island and saw it everywhere. Some places were definitely harder hit than others, however. I think the Northside fared the best but of course, there is damage there, also. (like CaymanSue's place...we saw it...very sad!)
You are so lucky to be going next week! Where are you staying on the Northside? You will definitely have a great time. The sun, the beaches, the snorkeling, it's all still there and it's lovely!