Search

St Thomas Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 1996, 11:10 AM
Jocelyn_Eisenberg

St Thomas Experiences?

Simon,
We were in St. Thomas the week prior to Christmas last year (although only a one-day cruise ship stop). This was our second visit. The weather was 86 F, water was 81 F. We scuba'd at Sapphire Beach (I'd definitely avoid Coki Beach -- it's ugly, full of beach vendors and the cruise ship crowd). The dive operator we used was Dive In and we found them in front of the Sapphire Beach Resort. We did a wreck dive. The island at that time was just recovering from Hurricane (was it) Marilyn, and it seemed that half the roofs were missing and replaced with beautiful blue tarps! Many trees had been uprooted and were in the water, making for a different snorkelling experience, and many of the dive operators had lost their boats. I'm sure that's all behind them now. You may want to check out some of the dive sites on the 'net to get a better up to date list, particularly if you're looking to take training. We never saw the need to rent a car -- the cabs are dirt cheap, if you negotiate up front. As I recall, anywhere we wanted to go seemed to cost no more than $5 per person or less. The roads can be scary, with significant turns. We took a cab from Coki Beach to Magen's Bay, which I think are at primarily opposite ends of the island, and it was $5 each, plus I think we paid the $1 entrance fee to Magens Bay. Don't miss a visit here.
Enjoy your trip.
Jocelyn

Old Oct 9th, 1996, 09:09 AM
steve bonnemort

We are going to St. Thomas this Christmas. We are staying at the Blazing Villas. This is a wonderful place to stay, we stayed there 2 years ago. When you stay at the Blazing Villas (condo) you can use all the facilities of the Resort Hotel Renaissance Grand Beach Resort. The hotel received alot of damage from Hurrican Marilyn but has been rebuilt and just opened Oct 1, 96. There are plenty of Villas to rent and you can find a good bargin. We have rented a car before and you really need one if you are staying on the island. You should be quite used to driving on the left, (it was quite a big deal for us Americans). St. Thomas is more bussle and hussle than the other two islands, but do not miss Magens Bay and the downtown shopping. The ferry to St. John is only $3 a person, so go over and relax on the beaches. Use the open busses to get to beaches. Blazing Villas email is [email protected] Marianne and Marc are the owners. Send them a mail, and they will be sure to assist. Have a blast.

Old Oct 21st, 1996, 06:55 PM
Deborah Sage

I will be travelling to St. Thomas the first week of December this year. I see you have stayed at Blazing Villas, which is where my husband and I have booked for 11 nights. You mentioned that there are plenty of condo's and good rates to choose from. Our room at Blazing villas is the studio, and not the large suite. What is your recommendation and what sort of prices have you paid in the past here??

Also, the ferries to St. John's sound inexpensive, how about ferries to Tortola and Virgin Gorda??

Look forward to hearing from you.

Old Oct 28th, 1996, 06:02 AM
steve bonnemort

We are staying in the Blazing Villas in the suite. It has 2 double beds and a hid-a-bed. It has a full kitchen and bath. The patio is large and full sliding doors. Visit Blazing Villas home page at www.usvi.net/villa/blazing for all the info on the place. I really think that staying at the blazing is your best value. You have use of all the Hotel features (the pool is crystal clear). The villas are one story with beautiful grounds (hope they still are after hurricane Marilyn). Be sure to rent a car. You will need one to get around. Have a blast.

Old Oct 28th, 1996, 06:48 AM
steve bonnemort

I think the ferries to the BVI are about $35 a person. We plan on taking one this Christmas, but don't miss St John. Also, check our Eunices and the Italian rest. right by your villa. They have wonderful food.