Grand Cayman in May...few questions

Old Apr 18th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman in May...few questions

We are headed to the Westin Grand Caymen mid May & have a few questions:
1. Is there snorkeling right from the beach in front of the Westin or within walking distance?
2. Is there any bus service to Westin or will be need to use a cab?
3. Plan to rent a car for one day & tour the island. What are some "not to miss" spots to stop snorkel, eat, etc. on other side of island?
4. Are there plenty of restaurants & beach bars within walking distance of Westin so we won't need to bother with car rest of the time?
5. Would like to go into Georgetown one day...how do we find out when cruise ships are in so as to avoid that day?
6. Do we need to bring bug spray?
7. Just heard May begins rainy season. Does that mean rain every day & if so, how long? Is it hot & humid most days/nights or does it cool down at night so we'll need coats?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. We do plan to do at least a half day snorkel trip & have read that dive shop across from Westin has better prices than onsite shop.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM

1. There is snorkeling within walking distance of the Westin.
2. There is bus service, however, there isn't a real schedule, you pretty much flag one down (bus is like a big van) and tell the driver where you want to stop. Works if you don't have a schedule. Otherwise take a taxi.
3. Recommend taking a car around the island along the coast, stop at the Reef Resort Beach Bar for lunch or drinks, (excellent snorkeling). Continue around the island to Rum Point, have a drink or snack/dinner there. (can snorkel there too) If you want a nice dinner out, hit Portofino's or Lighthouse on your way back, both excellent and right on the water. Or if it's a Tues or Thurs have dinner and see the Barefoot Man at the Reef Resort. (Caribbean's version of Jimmy Buffet)
4. Plenty of eating and bar choices within walking distance of the Westin.
5. The Westin will have the cruise ship schedule.
6. I would bring bug spray for the evenings.
7. Don't know about May weather, we always go in the winter.

Make sure and do a 1/2 day stingray city snorkel trip, and do get out to view the rest (quiet side) of the island. Have a great time!
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 06:09 AM

3. take the long way around the island. pass the blowholes, on around the east end by morrits and the reef (you could stop here to snorkel a bit)then on to rum point. good snorkeling and a fun beach bar/rest
5. http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php
6. yes - mainly for dusk
7. when it rains it should only last 5-15 minutes. no coats - maybe a light sweatshirt? (i tend to get chilly after a day in the sun and ocean.)http://www.wunderground.com/history/...Cayman+Islands
red sail and ocean frontiers are both good companies to tour with.
go sees include: stingray city, turtle farm and hell, botanical gardens, mastic trail, butterfly farm. and there's a mni-sub you can go for a ride in.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. I reread my question on bus & what I meant to ask was whether there was bus service from airport to Westin or if we will need a taxi. We are flying in & out at separate times so would need to pay double taxi fare on both ends if only option.

We'll definitely try to rent the car on Tues or Thurs to catch Barefoot Man!
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM

There are no buses at the airport. There is a taxi counter and it will cost you about $30.00. They do take American money.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM

While you might not need a car for your entire stay, you can probably get a good deal on the car for your entire week and will have many more options for dining and exploring---and snorkeling. Basically, a reasonably long taxi drive on Grand Cayman is about equal to the cost of one day's car rental. When you consider that you can rent a car for under $200 for an entire week, it's not really that bad an idea to keep the car for your entire stay, and then whoever arrives first can pick up whoever arrives second and do the same for the drop-off.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Good thought about car rental....how easy is it to get to Westin from airport? Unfortunately it is me who arrives first & leaves last so I would be person doing driving and my DH usually drives when we are driving on the left!