Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman - Help Please with Condo Selection (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-help-please-with-condo-selection-869570/)

skiobx Dec 13th, 2010 12:46 PM

Grand Cayman - Help Please with Condo Selection

Hey Folks,

We plan on travelling to the Grand Cayman Island, with sons 18 and 16 the third week of June. We plan on renting a jeep and have narrowed down our choices to:

The Beachcomber
The Islands Club
THe London House
The Grandview
The Anchorage

We would like someplace with access to watersports - diving, kayaking, snorkleing. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

TurtleTagger Dec 13th, 2010 03:04 PM

The Beachcomber: Central location. Newest and most luxurious. Great section of beach, within walking distance to water-sports rentals and many restaurants. Fair snorkeling.

The Islands Club: Not familiar with

The London House: A bit older property. Nice quieter northern section of beach. Walk to the Public Beach for rentals. Close to Cemetery Beach for snorkeling. Must drive a short distance to most restaurants.

The Grandview: Southern/Central location. A bit older like London House. Beach can get a bit narrow, fair snorkeling, but better than a little better than Beachcomber. Easy walk to restaurants and water-sports rentals at the Royal Palms/reef Grill complex.

The Anchorage: Very similar to the London House, same location. I forget if either or both have screened lanais.

IIWM I'd choose between Beachcomber, London House or the Anchorage.

TurtleTagger Dec 13th, 2010 03:06 PM

Forgot. No diving from any property along SMB. Plenty of dive ops located at the hotels or nearby. Shore diving available with on-site dive ops located close by in George Town and West Bay.

skiobx Dec 13th, 2010 05:12 PM

Thanks TurtleTagger -- At least I've eliminated one!!!

filter14 Feb 8th, 2011 01:21 PM

Islands Club is central SMB walking distance to both Beachsuites or Ritz for watersports rental. A great property with the only downside in not having a pool if that's important. From Grandview you could use the watersports rental at Marriott. Actually any of the places along SMB or elsewhere will rent to anyone and diving operators usually pick up close by each resort/condo.

If you haven't had a chance to check out caymanvacations.com or caymanvacation.com please do. There are just so many properties available in all price ranges. My favorites are Caribbean Club and Coral Stone Club along central SMB area. Regal Beach is also a good place located right next door to Marriott.

amer_can Feb 9th, 2011 04:00 PM

You would have trouble beating Villas of the Galleon..Great beach. Between Ritz and Best Western. Recently redone interiors and very convenient. Good snorkling at Smith Cove, south of town.Lots of dive facilities and great, I really mean great, diving sites..If you can qualify the wall is awesome...

amer_can Feb 9th, 2011 04:06 PM

Didn't mean the Best Western...No, between The Ritz and the Westin.. sorry..