Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Grand Cayman Ferry? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/grand-cayman-ferry-798668/)

tdelano Jul 31st, 2009 07:22 PM

Grand Cayman Ferry?

is there a ferry from 7 mile beach to Rum Point? Thanks

CaymanSue Aug 1st, 2009 04:10 AM

The ferry that went between Rum Point and the Hyatt has not been in service since Hurricane Ivan in 2004.
The rum Point Restaurant and the Kaibo Yacht Club do have a shuttle service on various days.

virginia Aug 1st, 2009 04:54 AM

nope still closed. as kvr said you'll want to rent a car to get to rum point. the big problem would be getting back. you'd have to call the taxi over from seven mile a second time.... too much money too much time.
the drive is easy once you get out of georgetown.
just curious - how have you selected this location for your gc day. rum point is a fun beach with ok snorkeling. very colorful, but there are some great spots on seven mile that might be easier to get to.
would this trip interest you?: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Gr...anJeepTour.htm

re jamaica. which port? if you're going into mobay you can go/taxi to doctors cave beach. in site of ships, nice beach with snorkeling, food & drinks available.

KVR Aug 1st, 2009 05:14 AM

We were also interested in going to Rum Point on our cruise. But after seeking info from cruisecritic.com we found it wasn't feasible unless we rented a car, which we didn't want to do. There are several beach clubs to spend the day at or do the infamous swim with the sting ray excursion with 2 other snorkel spots. I believe there is one company that one of the other stops is at or around Rum Point.

In Jamaica, we really have to know what port your cruise ship is docking at in order to give you a good suggestion. On our cruise, we were supposed to stop in Ocho Rios and the Captian, out the clear blue sky, decided not to stop. Ruined our whole day.

tdelano Aug 1st, 2009 10:42 AM

Thank you so much for the replies. I am really disapointd in hearing that it is going to be difficult to get to Rum Point. I don't think we will have the time to deal with the hassle of renting a car. We have been to Grand Cayman pre Ivan and Rum Point was our favorite. We want to spend the day on a beach that has great snorkeling. We enjoyed 7 Mile Beach but didn't find the snorkeling comparable. What about a car service would that be an option?

We will be arriving in Jamaica at Montego Bay. We would also like to spend the day on a beach, the perfect beach would also have snorkeling. Does that exist? Public beach or resort for the day, either would be fine. If snorkeling is not an option then the best, non crowded beach will work!

We would also like to duplicate the beach/snorkel day in Cozumel if anyone has suggestions for that location!

Thanks again.

tdelano Aug 1st, 2009 10:54 AM

Virgina,
I have been researching Doctor's Cave. I haven't been able to find anything on snorkeling there. It does look like an easy location to reach but sounds crowded. My perfect beach would have very few people, one beach bar and a reef to snorkel and be a short taxi from the dock :) I know I may need to be a bit more realistic but could you steer me towards a near perfect beach in Jamaica? THANKS!

KVR Aug 1st, 2009 12:21 PM

Sunset Beach is an AI resort that allows day passes to cruise ship passengers. Be advised any resort that allows cruise ship passes will be crowded, not only with your fellow passengers, but with the guests that are staying there.

One thing about Jamacia is you will not find great snorkeling. If you want reef snorkeling you'll need a boat to take you to one. For secluded beaches with a beach bar you really need to go to St. John or Virgin Gorda. Maybe next trip.

Jamaica is about see the natural beauty of the Island. Not laying on a beach or snorkeling. My suggestion would be to research a private driver (there are many to choose from) and do a Island tour. The falls are beautiful and worth seeing as well of some of the natural attractions. A driver can set you up with a good plan to see the Island. This will also get you away from those crowds. The snorkeling is better in Grand Cayman and Cozumel anyway. I did answer your question about Cozumel on the other thread you posted. The beach clubs in Conzumel will be crowded with your fellow passengers. Chankanaab was not crowed at all. At least when we did our cruise. For really great snorkeling you'll need to do a boat trip to take you out to the reefs.

If your interested take at look at our cruise pics and our trip to Negril. Might help with your decision.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

tdelano Aug 1st, 2009 09:15 PM

Thanks KVR for your reply. I am sure that you are right about the tour in Jamaica but we are really just wanting a beach day. Is there a prefered AI resort that allows day guests?

Thanks also for the Cozumel tip. Did you snorkel at this beach? I know that for the very best snorkel we would need the boat but everyone in our party is not interested so I am in search of the very best possible from the beach. Do you know if taxis are easily available here for the return to the ship?

Thanks again...and great pics, You have been a lot of great places!!

KVR Aug 2nd, 2009 05:52 AM

In Cozumel, Chankanaab is a $10 taxi ride from the pier. There are cabs lined up outside the entrance for return trip back to either the pier or the shopping complex, which is within walking distance from the pier.

We found the snorkeling good at Chankanaab Park. Not as good as pre-hurricane Wilma, but it's getting better. What we liked, is that there was harldy anyone there. Our ship docked about 8am. We immeditatly got off and went to the Park. Most people started showing up in the afternoon when we were ready to leave. The resturant had some pretty good food. I had the best cerviche and guacamole. There is beach chair service and they will bring you a menu, food and drinks. It was quite reasonable. For a beach day with snorkeling, it was great.

Look on the cruisecritic.com board under ports of call - caribbean - jamaica. Lots of info regarding doing a beach day. However, you will probably not find any that aren't crowded.

virginia Aug 2nd, 2009 07:31 AM

tdelano, you've no idea how much i'd like to be able to suggest that "perfect beach" with no ppl on jamaica - flat sandy entrance, nice beach bar and outstanding snorkeling. my dream on any given island.
anyway i've not even been to jamaica. bff stopped mobay on cruise 2 years ago. i called her last night to check my memory and she said they enjoyed the snorkeling there - not best she's seen but def some fish to see. she dives, has snorkeled from a dozen islands & when we travel she snorkels every day!, so i trust her judgement. it would def not be deserted though. and just guessing here but assume you'd have to travel some distance to get away from the crowds. < hopefully i'm wrong & you'll find one...

grand cayman snorkel: this from kristen1206: "Eden Rock: We went here twice. Great snorkeling spot in Georgetown. They also had lounge chairs for those who did nor snorkel. Tons of fish as soon as you step off the ladder. But then again the appear to be well fed by the staff so why wouldn't they crowd in!"
cemetery beach at the north end of seven mile has good snorkeling. the reef is quite close, beach nice with shade, no services. some guy's pics: http://www.zydecocruiser.com/conquest_07/GC/cb1.htm
i did read on cruisecritic that there is company that does one day car rental. pick you up at pier, take you to office...

KVR Aug 2nd, 2009 08:37 AM

Virgina, thanks for posting the link to the pictures. Just a reminder of why we love Grand Cayman so much. We are going to have to do another land vacation sometime.