Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman: beach questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:35 AM
charlie

We are contemplating our first trip to Grand Cayman and we have a couple of questions:<BR><BR>1. How many miles of continuous, walkable beach are there on "Seven Mile Beach"?<BR><BR>(We like to take long beach walks, and I understand that this beach was only 5.5 miles to begin with, and that the southern part is eroded).<BR><BR>2. If we stay "across from the beach," or near the eroded part, how easy is it to access the best (northern) part of 7MB? Are chairs and umbrellas available for rent? Are there places to park a car nearby?<BR><BR>Any information is greatly appreciated!<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Scott

Charlie,<BR><BR>There is plenty of beach to walk on 7MB. You are correct, the actual length is 5.5 miles. The southern end does have some erosion problems, but you are talking about 1/4 mile or so. All in all, you have a solid 5 miles of walkable beach. The eroded end is walkable, but best done with water shoes of some kind. Again, keep in mind this is only a very small stretch that is a bit rocky. We have stayed at one of the southern resorts a couple yeras back, and found we could walk as far north as we wanted. This year we stayed a bit further north (just past the eroded section). We walked south with no problems, but again water shoes would of made the rocky section a bit easier.<BR>You should have plenty of walking room where ever you end up staying.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:01 PM
anon

There are plenty of places to park your car and access 7MB if you aren't staying on the beach. (inc. a couple of public beaches that are nice and in great area's to walk the beach.) I'm not sure about renting chairs and umbrella's, but you can buy them cheap enough when you get there if needed.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Anne

We stayed at Treasure Island.. more for families.. If you stay there.. ask for the newly renovated rooms.. or 3rd floor.. We had a not so great room, the ac wasnt working,, then we got moved to 3rd fl. newly renovated..and much nicer.. Id try a different hotell.prob. the marriott next time. Its 2 hotels down.. We loved the food there too.! tour the rum cake shops. The rum cakes are to die for! Lots of snorkeling..Dont go on the submarine ride.. 150.00 of nothng!<BR>wasnt worth it. everything else! A plus plus plus!!! loved it.. might get a timeshare there eventualy..!

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:18 AM
Zoe

Any reports on how rough water is now near seven mile beach? We are leaving nxt.wk. for Discovery Point Club near Cemetery Beach. My teens have never snorkled before- just "ok" swimmers. Is water very rough w/recent storms for swimming out there? Ya think taking a raft out w/you makes it easier for infrequent swimmers? Thanks for replies.

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:05 PM
Michael From New York

I stayed at Treasure Island, which is on the southern end of Seven Mile Beach. The shore line was stoney and hard to get into the water, and the next piece of beach, you could not enter the water...but we are talking only about 2-3 minute walk up to the next scetion which was fine. I din't see any chair rentals available. There;s more than enough to walk safely and easily. The water is not rough for entry from the beach. The Treasure Island Resort had very good snorkeling because of the rocky outcrop. But the places with smooth sand will not have any abundance of sea life.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 02:56 AM
Denise

This is for Zoe,<BR> Please post a trip report upon your return. We are staying at Discovery Point in July and would loe to hear about your condo, beach, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 03:51 AM
Zoe

Denise, Will do.