Costa rica, St. Lucia or Kauai to elope

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to elope to Costa Rica, St. Lucia or Kauai. Traveled to Kauai this past march and loved the north shore. Also Have travled to Punta Cana and loved the beaches but disliked the lack of things to do besides lay at the beach. Looking for adventure and seclusion as well not looking for over populated crowds. Any suggestions of what parts of the islands to stay and what time of year. Dont mind a little rain but would like to enjoy a little sun bathing and swimming as well. Also open to any other suggestions!! Pleas help undecided bride decide what beach is the most amazing
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM

Never been to Kauai. I'd rate the beaches in St Lucia to be better than Costa Rica, but Costa Rica has more activities to choose from.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:57 AM

jademountain.com St Lucia in winter best for less rain.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 03:00 AM

visitcostarica.com

Better for adventure beaches a little browner

hotelvillacaletas.com
tabacon.com
issimosuites.com

All romantic for us cheaper deals on costarica.bookit.com

Cheap flights spirit.com jetblue.com aa.com

Congrats!
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 05:32 AM
KVR

I don't really consider Costa Rica a beach vacation. It's more about sightseeing and adventure. We have been looking at going there on a future trip and from what I have read you really need to move to different areas every 3 days taking in at least 3 areas in one trip is advised.

St. Lucia is gorgeous and similar in topography as Kauai, but the beaches are a coarse brown. Nothing like what is in the DR.

St. Lucia has things to see and do. Most everything is pretty spread out and the roads are quite winding. You can also Island hop to Martinique, Barbados and St. Vincent/Grenadines.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I think CR would have more opportunities for adventure if you are willing to move around to various areas, but St. Lucia would be a good choice also.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When you say "elope" if you mean to actually get married there and (assuming) you are a US citizen, then Hawaii, for sure. Because getting married outside the country gives you MANY more hoops to jumpt thru legally.

Those three are just so different I'm not sure how to compare. I've never been to Costa Rica, but I agree most people treat it as an 'adventure vacation' not so much romance or relaxing at the beach. You already know Kauai is gorgeous, or even one of the other Hawaiian islands. Have you considered Jamaica? Negril is pretty incredible.

Also where are you flying from? Maybe the length of the flights and convenience of connections would be a consideration? Say you're West Coast US and can get to Hawaii in 6 hrs on a non-stop vs. the Caribbean which takes a bit more doing.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM

My vote goes with St Lucia, the island is stunning, the people friendly and the food amazing!

For a hotel it has to be http://www.jalousieplantation.com/ and for a house/villa try http://www.residencessugarbeach.com/

I love this island and you will too, I guarantee it!
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM

We got married in Hawaii so we are a little biased. Plus we didn't like St Lucia.
You already know how beautiful Kauai is and so you know you would not be spending any time in a place that, well, frankly - sucks.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 02:41 PM

If you want beaches, sun, snorkeling and lovely hotels that are not over the top (partially becaiuse of the continuing recession) you might consider returning to Kuani. The flights take 12 hours from NYC vs. 8-9 hrs. to St. Lucia with connections but Kuani is a landmass that is all natural beautiful where St. Lucia has only several spots and if you like snorkeling there are few at best. We enjoyed the Marriott and the Princeville.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM

kbopalinski,
I have been to Costa Rica and St. Lucia; however i haven’t been to HI so i cannot comment on that. All that i can say is that i like diversity in my travels. Meaning that even if i had a AWESOME time in a destination i still wouldn’t want to double up until i have been to all the places on my list. I think that St. Lucia is more of a romantic location for honeymooners (And let me say that is it SSOO refreshing that someone is eloping and not going to Las Vegas. Been there too...YAWN! I think that Costa Rica is more on the adventures side, trekking through jungles, white water rafting things of that nature. But i doubt with whatever you pick you will lose. After all, you can be VERY comfortable in a Bikini in all those locations, and after all, isn’t that what is important??